Ransey gone cut backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

Scouting is just part of player logistics. Finding the bright talent is one thing, managing the sales side of it is apparently even more complicated.

We have identified and signed many talented young players. Some that comes to mind are:

Bright Osayi-Samuel
    Eberechi Eze
    Illias Chair
    Chris Willock
    Ryan Manning
    Seny Dieng
    Raheem Sterling

BOS is now said to be worth £10m. He was worth north of £5m when he was at the peak of his QPR career, but we got the timing and execution of a sale all wrong. 18 months before the end of his contract we received an offer from abroad of £4-5m if I am not mistaken. This was discounted already at that point, as his contract was nearing its end. BOS rejected and played a game with us (pretending he was interested in prolonging the contract when he clearly wasn't) and he ended up leaving for peanuts a few months prior to his contract running out. I cannot point to where the club made it wrong, but the scouting wasn't the problem, but the handling of the contract situation and the exit.

Eze was handled brilliantly. Top notch. Fantastic scouting. If we indeed have a 25% sell-on clause for the full sales amount it might land us another £15-20m if we are lucky. It was fantastic news that his contract was recently extended - best news of the season so far.

Illias Chair. Great piece of work and fantastic scouting. If we get £6m, it will be a good piece of business. Lets see how this pans out. I see some fans wanting to hold on to him. That is opposite to my thinking. If we do not cash in on our better players when valuation is good, we will never progress.

Chris Willock. Again a good recruitment, but like BOS, the timing of his exit is catastrophic (assuming he does not extend but leave for free after the season or for a small nominal fee this window). Once again, I cannot say if we did anything wrong during January or summer of 2022, when the valuation was its highest, but scouting was certainly not the problem.

Ryan Manning: See BOS and Willock. Good scouting, poor contract management.

Seny Dieng: Sold one year too late. The value is normally doing down hill once there is two years or less left of the contract. We should have prolonged or sold in 2022. But selling requires a bidder as we know. However, once again good scouting, picking him up from Germany for free.

Raheem Sterling. Good recruitment/development (he came through the youth). The problem is the rules for none-professional players, that give clubs like us no protection against the big fishes. But we negotiated a great sell-on clause, so contract wise it was excellent handed, like Eze.

My point: Our scouting isn't as bad as someone portraits. We have quite a fair number of mishits (like Washington and Bonne), but if a club gets 1 out of 3 recruitment right they seem to do quite well, and we have got a fair few right. It is the contract management and selling at the right time that is the biggest problem. However, I am the first one to agree that we need a bidder to conduct a sales, so it is not always entirely up to QPR. But if I should point to the biggest weakness in players logistics, it is the sale side of things, even though scouting can always be better.

I do not know if we received a bid for Field last summer, but there was at least some press speculation. If there was a bid, reportedly around £3m, I would have sold unless Field signed an extension.

The only way we can progress is scouting well, sell when we have good offers, and reinvest wisely. Rinse and repeat. This is the Brentford model and it is the only way for a small club.

Tbh Oslo I'd agree with you and on your list only Bos and a nominal fee for seny we paid for ?

It's when we pay decent cash for we get it wrong I know any transfer has risks but the others were decent scouting i think sterling was by a youth coach?

However we need to follow the Bees system buy cheap sell on and replace regardless of how much we need them l. Same as pboro do with their cf on a regular basis keeps ffp at bay and also shows look come to us well play you put you in shop window rest is up to you to prove your better than us.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

Scouting is just part of player logistics. Finding the bright talent is one thing, managing the sales side of it is apparently even more complicated.

We have identified and signed many talented young players. Some that comes to mind are:

Bright Osayi-Samuel
      Eberechi Eze
      Illias Chair
      Chris Willock
      Ryan Manning
      Seny Dieng
      Raheem Sterling

BOS is now said to be worth £10m. He was worth north of £5m when he was at the peak of his QPR career, but we got the timing and execution of a sale all wrong. 18 months before the end of his contract we received an offer from abroad of £4-5m if I am not mistaken. This was discounted already at that point, as his contract was nearing its end. BOS rejected and played a game with us (pretending he was interested in prolonging the contract when he clearly wasn't) and he ended up leaving for peanuts a few months prior to his contract running out. I cannot point to where the club made it wrong, but the scouting wasn't the problem, but the handling of the contract situation and the exit.

Eze was handled brilliantly. Top notch. Fantastic scouting. If we indeed have a 25% sell-on clause for the full sales amount it might land us another £15-20m if we are lucky. It was fantastic news that his contract was recently extended - best news of the season so far.

Illias Chair. Great piece of work and fantastic scouting. If we get £6m, it will be a good piece of business. Lets see how this pans out. I see some fans wanting to hold on to him. That is opposite to my thinking. If we do not cash in on our better players when valuation is good, we will never progress.

Chris Willock. Again a good recruitment, but like BOS, the timing of his exit is catastrophic (assuming he does not extend but leave for free after the season or for a small nominal fee this window). Once again, I cannot say if we did anything wrong during January or summer of 2022, when the valuation was its highest, but scouting was certainly not the problem.

Ryan Manning: See BOS and Willock. Good scouting, poor contract management.

Seny Dieng: Sold one year too late. The value is normally doing down hill once there is two years or less left of the contract. We should have prolonged or sold in 2022. But selling requires a bidder as we know. However, once again good scouting, picking him up from Germany for free.

Raheem Sterling. Good recruitment/development (he came through the youth). The problem is the rules for none-professional players, that give clubs like us no protection against the big fishes. But we negotiated a great sell-on clause, so contract wise it was excellent handed, like Eze.

My point: Our scouting isn't as bad as someone portraits. We have quite a fair number of mishits (like Washington and Bonne), but if a club gets 1 out of 3 recruitment right they seem to do quite well, and we have got a fair few right. It is the contract management and selling at the right time that is the biggest problem. However, I am the first one to agree that we need a bidder to conduct a sales, so it is not always entirely up to QPR. But if I should point to the biggest weakness in players logistics, it is the sale side of things, even though scouting can always be better.

I do not know if we received a bid for Field last summer, but there was at least some press speculation. If there was a bid, reportedly around £3m, I would have sold unless Field signed an extension.

The only way we can progress is scouting well, sell when we have good offers, and reinvest wisely. Rinse and repeat. This is the Brentford model and it is the only way for a small club.

Great post Olso.

My understanding was that we received a £3m bid for Field in Jan 23 from Southampton. But we rejected it because the squad was thin and we needed him in our fight against relegation. Im not aware of anything thats come through since.

To your point, maximising selling value also requires good quality back up players, or the timing needs to allow for an incoming player.
      Last edited by SheepRanger; 09-01-2024, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Great post Olso.

My understanding was that we received a £3m bid for Field lst Jan from Southampton. But we rejected it because the squad was thin and we needed him in our fight against relegation. Im not aware of anything thats come through since.

To your point, maximising selling value also requires good quality back up players, or the timing needs to allow for an incoming player.
        Oslo's post is not wrong, but over that period of time (if we are to talk about Raheem) we have not brought on many players from our scouting and youth development network. That list is small even if we'd managed their sale better. I do agree entirely that as a club we should be taking good offers when we get them, regardless of the player and that the contract management is an issue with the players mentioned,.

I think we are in a tough spot as one of the lowly London clubs, in financial difficulty. Why would you come to us over any one of the other London and greater London clubs? A huge point that Oslo i think made last year was that in appointing GA we essentially scare off young talent and loan prospects. I'd say Warbs tenure has been the most stable over the last 5 years, other than that it's back to Warnock in 2010, and lord knows it was a sh§t show before then too.

We lack direction.

I'd say over the last 5 years we've sent more players careers down than we've brought up with our inconsistent approach to our footballing ethos on and off the pitch.

Oslo is right but it's not just one department that's failing the club, it's all of them.

Comment

Got to disagree with OSLO here , our whole scouting and player recruitment is diabolical compared to most teams from the Championhip and above.
          Sterling was scouted by a bloke from Wembley watching him play for his school in Brent , not that hard to see a player stand out in a school team.
          Eze was a great bit of business but we sign loads of players rejected by Prem clubs (mostly Spurs ) every season and thankfully Eze came good , loads have'nt.
          Samuel was'nt very good , just loads of pace , hence why nobody seemed to want to buy him .
          Manning similar to Samuel.
          Willock , great player on his day but too injury prone and i'm sure he was'nt scouted as such just recommended by that ex Arsenal youth coach that assisted Warburton.
          Chair i like but does blow hot and cold , we need to sell for it to be a success .
          Dieng was'nt very good but i suppose we made a few quid .
          A good scouting system should get you at least one player each season that will improve your team or able you to sell for a profit in a year or two .
          We keep signing free transfers or out of contract players that nobody wants because they have been injury prone , hoping that all of a sudden their injuries are going to clear up and they will become world beaters . The only one of these that has probably done ok , would be Field .
          In my opinion the best way to recruit would be buying players relatively cheap , up to 2 million , improve them then sell after a couple of years for more . We tried this with Washington , Bonne , Dykes , Dickie , Dozzel and probably a few iv'e forgot and they are all crap , hence why our scouts are clueless.

Comment

It isn't just the lack of players with increasing resale value although there have been far too few of them. It is the lack of players coming through able to take places in the first 11 or even meaningful squad places. We have been dire for decades at dealing with talent. At present just Kakay and Armstrong getting any proper game time and latter of course only started getting first team football last season. Rest are kids getting odd late cameos.

I get we are a smaller London club but other teams manage it, large catchment area plus we should be picking up more younger players discarded by big London clubs who don't quite make the grade there. If we got our act together we aren't actually a bad option, particularly now we have new training facilities.

Comment

Oslo's assessment of our recruitment is spot on. For folks who refer to Peterborough, I'd suggest they have had plenty of duffers and misfires down the years too, you just don't hear about them. Lastly, where has all this fine scouting got Peterborough? It's okay being a "selling club" but there is a balance..... you need to retain a decent set of players to play over a 9-month season AND maintain some basic continuity through one campaign into the next. I admit to knowing nothing about Posh but the obvious question is where did all the incoming money go cos there's not much evidence of the club thriving, improving and developing is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingaustin View Post

It’s posting from London my friend

it’s what I do for a job ;)
                Close, but physically not London post code, a stone throw away yes, and even with the vpn, on a level 2 dive we can see Sky broadband just on the outskirts.

But my post was more aimed at he wasn't over here for the game, as he pings at same loco as he always has..

Also, I am very close to NY state, and can usually tell when a member is that close based of a quick ping.
                Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                Work Best When Open...
                @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

I just had a thought, do we know for certain that Ramsey was pushed out of the club or it was in fact him that resigned? There has been mention of the young player Strachen recently and possible big clubs circling, now maybe we are going to lose him and that was the final straw for Ramsey. Didn't LF say before something along the lines of "we have had 12 players over the last few years who have all been snapped up by bigger clubs because we cannot compete with them". Ramsey record of producing players hasn't been good but do any of us know the full story?

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
                    I just had a thought, do we know for certain that Ramsey was pushed out of the club or it was in fact him that resigned? There has been mention of the young player Strachen recently and possible big clubs circling, now maybe we are going to lose him and that was the final straw for Ramsey. Didn't LF say before something along the lines of "we have had 12 players over the last few years who have all been snapped up by bigger clubs because we cannot compete with them". Ramsey record of producing players hasn't been good but do any of us know the full story?
                    He left by mutual consent rather than resignation. Theyve cone to an agreement for him to leave, so he's been pushed. No mutual agreement is needed if just wanted to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                      Oslo's assessment of our recruitment is spot on. For folks who refer to Peterborough, I'd suggest they have had plenty of duffers and misfires down the years too, you just don't hear about them. Lastly, where has all this fine scouting got Peterborough? It's okay being a "selling club" but there is a balance..... you need to retain a decent set of players to play over a 9-month season AND maintain some basic continuity through one campaign into the next. I admit to knowing nothing about Posh but the obvious question is where did all the incoming money go cos there's not much evidence of the club thriving, improving and developing is there?
                      Our recruitment has been crap for years , especially since Ferdinand and his cronies have been here. Because of the way football is going , it is more important than ever for clubs with small budgets to have a good scouting and recruitment model like Brighton . Our owners have been completely useless , so they appointed Ferdinand who has been even more useless.
                      I think the reason Peterborough struggle to consistently stay in the Championship is their poor crowds and their owner probably pockets a fair bit of the money they make on transfers.
                      Nowadays it mostly boils down to who has the biggest fan base with all this FFP ####. The clubs with the bigger fan base can generate more money and therefore get the better players.
                      A few clubs with small fan bases like Brentford , Bournemouth and Luton are doing ok for now but eventually they will probably fall down the league ladder , just as we are . Teams like Derby , will probably work their way back up the ladder.
                      The Premier league wanted no relegation and promotion years ago and because of this FFP #### it is'nt far off , the teams with all the parachute money and bigger fan bases will keep getting promoted .
                      Sky television and the Premier league have ####ed football up and made everything about money , just like this European super league is going to try and do.

Comment

Liverpool sent Kenny dalgleish to Stirling's parents home and said pick where u want to live . This was before he even signed for them

Loads of this underhand stuff goes on .

Comment

Working...
                        X