Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we sell Dykes cheap in Jan to bring in a striker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we sell Dykes cheap in Jan to bring in a striker?

...even if we loan one (or two).

Probably not.
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

i feel a bit sorry for Dykes - he is an out an out striker who is isolated on his own so many times in this system.

there disconnect from the midfield to the front line is shocking at times - the other 2 in the 3 need to anticipate that he will win heads and get ahead of him Smyth and Armstrong certainly have the pace to do it.

as for crosses if we could cross the ball he might actually score a few more. the one decent cross on Saturday as missed by Armstrong but would probably have been connected with dykes.

As for our corners!

so i don't think it is entirely his fault - if he was missing a load of clear cut chances then yes but we collectively as a team don't create enough chances

Comment

Millwall offered us £3m last Jan and if thats repeated theres a decision to be made! It all depends on who Marti could bring in, perhaps from Norway/Denmark, and how he wants to set up.

We literally have nothing up front right now and until we have two decent strikers I suspect Dykes will stay. With Willock and Richards back in the fold I suspect it will be Chair who we could best cope without right now.

I wouldnt be suprissed to see Dykes leave in the summer.
        Last edited by SheepRanger; 13-11-2023, 04:30 PM.

Comment

His best spell was playing in a front two with Austin, sadly we don't have another striker to play with him

Comment

Yes, I would sell him… and in the meantime, bam any laser pens from Loftus Road

Comment

Though he doesn't get decent service it doesn't mask the fact he can't trap the ball , doesn't anticipate where the ball is going , lacks instinct to get on the end of chances and misses 9 out of 10 efforts on goal .... Can't believe some want to keep him .

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                Though he doesn't get decent service it doesn't mask the fact he can't trap the ball , doesn't anticipate where the ball is going , lacks instinct to get on the end of chances and misses 9 out of 10 efforts on goal .... Can't believe some want to keep him .
                Totally agree, the bloke is basically a poor footballer, baffles me why people defend him, sell him…who the #### would buy him.

Comment

Admittedly the service to our forwards is poor, Even when its a dead ball we still either flight it out of play or straight to a keeper or hit first defender its been poor for too long tbh but SA and Lyndon are poor CF. SA has a new deal on the table apparently to be signed if I were him id of snapped it up by now yep he's quick but poor infant of goal.

Lyndon been there what 3 seasons got 30 goals for us there's better out there finishers and others can bring players into the game. LD struggles to trap a ball pass a ball or a 2nd touch is a tackle. Id be surprised if anyone would pay more than 3m even though he's on a new contract just don't do enough of what matters scoring.

Workrate can't fault but we need more goals

Comment

Sell Lyndon D. and buy the very mobile Sergei Illic from Vålerenga, Norway. He is a young and very promising nr. 9 from Serbia with plenty of goals in him. Wages could be a problem of course.
                    Ps. I "hate" Vålerenga, by the way.
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Never worked out whilst we had Les Ferdinand at the club .He didn't get on the training field with dykes and teach him some moves .
                      Dykes never works the CBs , his lack of movement means he's easy to mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Romford Hoop View Post
                        Totally agree, the bloke is basically a poor footballer, baffles me why people defend him, sell him…who the #### would buy him.
                        Been saying it for last couple of years . Dykes is poor and people were digging me out saying I was talking rubbish.
                        I can't believe he plays for Scotland and they love him , although I'm sure it won't be long before they drop him out.
                        We should of sold him last Jan when Millwall were allegedly after him. Instead some idiot at our club gave him a new contract and doubled his money.

Comment

I would assume Marti will assess Dykes, and all our striking options, in training and that will inform what happens in January. If he decides that any of them are immobile, lack a "football brain", have no touch, cant shoot straight or cant head the ball you'd think they'd be out the door. But, if they're still all here we'd have to accept that Marti was content with what he was seeing.

Thing with Dykes is we have invested in him. Right now today, his transfer value must be fairly depressed - I cant see the advantage of selling him in January when there's a possibility that his stock might rise if we perk up as a club for 2nd half of season and/or he shines at Euros.

Overall I don't regard keeping him 6 more months as much of a financial gamble. I cant see his transfer value in July being any worse than it is in January. I cant see how he could look any worse frankly.

Olly Watkins looked like a lame carthorse last night for a stuttering England - does kind of show that a decent striker can look pony in a duff team with a dud manager. Whilst our build-up play continues to be leaden-footed, chaotic and aimless I feel it's unreasonable to be too critical of any of the strikers. Lets at least see what unfolds over next several games.

Comment

Dykes is half useless but the best we have. If we bring in another striker we'd still need him as back up.

The chances of us being able to bring in two strikers in Jan are remote in my opinion and only that would allow Dykes to leave.
                            Last edited by SheepRanger; 21-11-2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X