Few more signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few more signings

Judging by the importance our young players is being given during pre-season, it looks like there will be very few more signings before the season starts. The likes of Bettache, Duke, Armstrong, Ajose, Nico and others give me the impression that the emphases will be on youths. I think last season we overspent a bit and this time the club will try to even things up.

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
    Judging by the importance our young players is being given during pre-season, it looks like there will be very few more signings before the season starts. The likes of Bettache, Duke, Armstrong, Ajose, Nico and others give me the impression that the emphases will be on youths. I think last season we overspent a bit and this time the club will try to even things up.
    I'd give them all a chance apart from niko who has had his chance a few times now. The lad has no guts, desire, determination, heart call it what you want. Cant teach a player that! We have had enough of those types down there. Last full back we had with a bit of bottle was rufus brevett to my mind.

Comment

It`s far too early to predict how many signings we will make.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

If we dont get two forwards we'll be getting relegated

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
          Luton, Sheffield and Huddersfield finished in top 6 scoring 63/64 goals in 46 games. You don't need to bang in goals left, right and centre in order to do well in this league (but it obviously helps if you can score 5 every week).

Everyone wants a Mitrovic or Toney up front but Les face it, vast majority of teams haven't got one and certainly can't afford to buy one. We, and the rest, are stuck with what we have.

But so what? Chair and Willock can weigh in with 16-20 between them.
          Rest of midfield/wide players can chip another 10 in.
          Defence can pop half a dozen in from set pieces.

That just requires a pair of strikers to score 14ish each over 46 games, we don't need a 25+ goals-a-season striker. I think Dykes and Bonne can manage 14 goals.

A solid miserly defence is the key. If we're keeping clean sheets it doesn't matter if we're only scoring one up the other end cos were still taking 3pts home.

I have a suspicion the Board will be wanting to hold some funds/reserves in hand to give them scope to dive into the January window depending on how things have gone under Beale. Don't forget that we only have to get to Mid-November and then the game shuts down for a month - it would be a bit reckless to go "all in" at this juncture.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Luton, Sheffield and Huddersfield finished in top 6 scoring 63/64 goals in 46 games. You don't need to bang in goals left, right and centre in order to do well in this league (but it obviously helps if you can score 5 every week).

Everyone wants a Mitrovic or Toney up front but Les face it, vast majority of teams haven't got one and certainly can't afford to buy one. We, and the rest, are stuck with what we have.

But so what? Chair and Willock can weigh in with 16-20 between them.
            Rest of midfield/wide players can chip another 10 in.
            Defence can pop half a dozen in from set pieces.

That just requires a pair of strikers to score 14ish each over 46 games, we don't need a 25+ goals-a-season striker. I think Dykes and Bonne can manage 14 goals.

A solid miserly defence is the key. If we're keeping clean sheets it doesn't matter if we're only scoring one up the other end cos were still taking 3pts home.

I have a suspicion the Board will be wanting to hold some funds/reserves in hand to give them scope to dive into the January window depending on how things have gone under Beale. Don't forget that we only have to get to Mid-November and then the game shuts down for a month - it would be a bit reckless to go "all in" at this juncture.
            I cant see Bonne staying to he honest. He had a great start at Ipswich then tailed off. I'm just not convinced hes championship quality, or League one either. I'm not convinced he actually enjoys football and any motivation he can muster soon disappears.

I'm ever hopeful on Dykes but he seems another injury prone wreck. Apart from promise he's shown very little but agree Beale might be able to do something with him.

That leaves us with two rookies. I know we'll likely play one up front most of the time, but still think we need a minimum of one established forward and a right back. Without see two signings it's going to be a tough season in my opinion.

But I hope you're right if money is a bit tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

I'd give them all a chance apart from niko who has had his chance a few times now. The lad has no guts, desire, determination, heart call it what you want. Cant teach a player that! We have had enough of those types down there. Last full back we had with a bit of bottle was rufus brevett to my mind.
              Whilst I’m all for giving our youth a chance, here are the facts as I see them:

Bettache - failed loans at L2 level
              Niko - sent back early from Brazil. When he did play for our 1st 11 was very poor
              Duke McKenna- looked good at non league standard but won’t be the answer to our prayers
              Armstrong - scored 2 goals at non league level but often injured. Looks a beast but we can’t rely on him yet
              Shidipo - in and out of a league 1 side. Can’t see him impacting tbh
              Owens - no one really knows as he’s been injured for years
              Ajose - who knows
              Bonne - league 1 standard. Heart in it? Came back to pre season training unfit looking at some of the clips

So in summary I’m with sheep ranger unless we get a couple of offensive players in and replace the wing backs who have left we will be in a relegation scrap

Its very naive to think that replacing Austin, Gray, Wallace, Barbet, Moses, Ball with kids who can’t even hack it at league 2 level will work

Just my opinion

Comment

All worthy opinions.

Beale seems committed to building strength from the back, and just may have the horses already to do that.

I would wait on getting a loan or two - no long term signings - that plug the hole at striker.

Believe Sinclair is already better than Kelman.

Have high hopes for fast development of Duke-McKenna.

Comment

I think right now we need another right back, 2 strikers, a winger who can play on the left or right, and an attacking midfielder.

I think we will need depth in a fair bit of the squad, especially considering its 5 subs now.

Key for me is us using the loan market well, I do seriously think Archer and Parrott could both be loan signings along with perhaps someone like Carney Chukmuwemba from Villa as well.

Get the loan signings right and we will do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem View Post

Whilst I’m all for giving our youth a chance, here are the facts as I see them:

Bettache - failed loans at L2 level
                    Niko - sent back early from Brazil. When he did play for our 1st 11 was very poor
                    Duke McKenna- looked good at non league standard but won’t be the answer to our prayers
                    Armstrong - scored 2 goals at non league level but often injured. Looks a beast but we can’t rely on him yet
                    Shidipo - in and out of a league 1 side. Can’t see him impacting tbh
                    Owens - no one really knows as he’s been injured for years
                    Ajose - who knows
                    Bonne - league 1 standard. Heart in it? Came back to pre season training unfit looking at some of the clips

So in summary I’m with sheep ranger unless we get a couple of offensive players in and replace the wing backs who have left we will be in a relegation scrap

Its very naive to think that replacing Austin, Gray, Wallace, Barbet, Moses, Ball with kids who can’t even hack it at league 2 level will work

Just my opinion
                    God that's a bloody depressing read but unfortunately spot on. I think it's going to be a long hard season and when you take the likes of Willock and dieng out of the side we looks extremely basic to say the least
                    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Personally am expecting a bare minimum of four permanent signings and a couple of decent loans plus replacing anyone who does leave for a fee. We have freed up fair bit in wages and club will want to support Beale given he is new.

Beale will also want to assess what we have so wouldn't read too much into seeing bit more of youngsters at present. Don't think we need loads of bodies. A RB, wingers and strikers. Ideal would be second LB as well. If we can add bit more out wide and couple of decent Championship standard strikers could do well. An advantage of a lot of our better players having underwhelming seasons is they are less likely to move on and if they can get their mojo back could play important parts. Even Willock was out injured for a spell at end of season so wouldn't be surprised if we do end up keeping him. Bad news would be impact that would have on balancing the books as we need to sell to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

God that's a bloody depressing read but unfortunately spot on. I think it's going to be a long hard season and when you take the likes of Willock and dieng out of the side we looks extremely basic to say the least
                        Well don't take either out of the side then
                        It's not even July yet, how many itks called Clarke-Salter or Paal?
                        None, Zero, not one.
                        Do you want the manager telling all other clubs what money we have and our targets?

Comment

We need a LWB, RWB, Attacking Midfielder and CF.

Aother CB would be nice as back up.

A lot of the younger players will go out on loan again.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                            We will sign the villa youngster on loan I think ,he should score a few
                            I do think Beale will be playing the kids so patience will be required .
                            think we will stay up

Comment

Just watched Beale's interview when he went to the training ground for the first time.
                              His attitude is he'll give everyone a chance and if the youngsters are good enough they'll get in the team.
                              We will develop our own players but this isn't the sole aim he wants promotion.
                              There's a lot of panic from fans, I'm not talking about on here but twitter and other sites.
                              The players have been back 4 days, he's using preseason to look at players.
                              He also states it'll be when we get back from Germany that he'll have an idea of where we are and what we need to change if any.
                              Sit back and relax everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X