Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone who is happy warbs not here now would say you have lost it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No-one can possibly say whether it was the right decision until the new manager is appointed.

If the new man is crap, then it was wrong.

If the new bloke turns out to be a tactical genius, who can coach our players to be world class, and get us automnatic promotion and all on a budget of thrupence ha'penny, then it was a good decision

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

But how is a managerial appointment assessed as being a successful one?

- Selling players for large fees to balance the books
      - Selling players to offset 75% of losses
      - Getting promoted
      - Getting into the top 6
      - Getting into the top 10

On our existing budget, success for me and for a small club like QPR is getting to the top 10 consistently and selling players to offset 75% of losses. Anything more than that is over achieving.

If the aim is promotion or consistent top6 then a manager needs the appropriate budget to achieve that. With that Warbs would have been as good as any manager to deliver on it.

I get the vibe the Board are expecting too much from the tools made available to a manager. Make a change and hope for a different outcome.

As the list you posted suggested... There are many criteria that determine if a manager has been successful or not. And, it's different from club to club.

And like you point out, for a club like ours money is a big factor... But you can't forget about on field objectives too... so whilst big profits from selling assets, trimming budgets by shedding the dead would and developing young player are and always will be a big part of Ranger's for the future, we do need to see things moving forward on the pitch.

So what are our objectives-

Everything I've gleaned from reading multiple articles and listening to way too many podcast with players and managers past and present, it seems to me the below would be a fair representation

OPPERATE ON A SMALL BUDGET
      SELL PLAYERS FOR BIGGER PROFIT
      BRING THROUGH YOUNG PLAYER
      DEVELOP A PLAYING STYLE
      A PLAY OFF PUSH

So of these how was Warburton doing?

Year on year our budget has reduced under Warburton (down to 16th in the Championship this last season). Whist league positions have not only held, they've mainly improve

The only players we've sold recently for anything like decent money were EZE and Bright. But we're still trying to build a squad, so we're trying to balance profit against team... but any potential future sales for the likes of Dickie, Dunne, Wilock (all Warburton signings) will surely see huge profits for the club.

Not much coming trough if we're honest.. but is that on Warburton or is that on Ramsey and the youth coaching set up. Most of our junior sides do get a lot of hammering, so when Warburton says the kids aren't ready yet... maybe he had a point. In terms of developing talent, Warburton has shown if it's there he'll bring it on... again, Dunne, Dickie, Willock, plus Chair, Dieng.

DEVELOP A PLAYING STYLE
      Whist at times we've got it wrong, for the most part we played good attacking football under Warburton. And with a bit more time and backing I think things were at least heading in a general direction.

A PLAY OFF PUSH
      We missed out. Injuries to important players at key times and a crazy run of bad luck with keepers didn't help.

So, for me Warburton was ticking a lot of the boxes.

But, Les and Lee make the decisions and they've decided to get rid of him.

The facts of the operating on a budget and Developing player who'll make the club profit can't really be argued with.

We did just miss out on the play offs
      (Hoos said himself that if we'd have achieved a play off spot, Warburton would have activated the extra year of his deal).

So it must have been down to not playing kids... and to me, that's not really on Warburton... that on the coaches at the younger levels.

If Lee and Les feel that he's not reached his. objectives... this is at least 4 out 5 coaches they're given the job to who have failed.

Because from the 5 full time managers employed on Les' watch, by none of the criteria can any one say , Ramsey, JFH or McClaren achieved any of the objectives.

Holloway consistently reduced the budget, plus he brought through Eze and Bright... so at least two objectives achieved.

Mark Warburton was achieving a hell of a lot more, but deemed not up to the job....

So that's another managerial failure under Les and Lee... maybe we really should be asking 'are they really the people who should be in charge and making these decisions?'

Comment

Originally posted by LOUANDBO View Post

As the list you posted suggested... There are many criteria that determine if a manager has been successful or not. And, it's different from club to club.

And like you point out, for a club like ours money is a big factor... But you can't forget about on field objectives too... so whilst big profits from selling assets, trimming budgets by shedding the dead would and developing young player are and always will be a big part of Ranger's for the future, we do need to see things moving forward on the pitch.

So what are our objectives-

Everything I've gleaned from reading multiple articles and listening to way too many podcast with players and managers past and present, it seems to me the below would be a fair representation

DEVELOP A PLAYING STYLE
        A PLAY OFF PUSH

So of these how was Warburton doing?

Year on year our budget has reduced under Warburton (down to 16th in the Championship this last season). Whist league positions have not only held, they've mainly improve

The only players we've sold recently for anything like decent money were EZE and Bright. But we're still trying to build a squad, so we're trying to balance profit against team... but any potential future sales for the likes of Dickie, Dunne, Wilock (all Warburton signings) will surely see huge profits for the club.

Not much coming trough if we're honest.. but is that on Warburton or is that on Ramsey and the youth coaching set up. Most of our junior sides do get a lot of hammering, so when Warburton says the kids aren't ready yet... maybe he had a point. In terms of developing talent, Warburton has shown if it's there he'll bring it on... again, Dunne, Dickie, Willock, plus Chair, Dieng.

DEVELOP A PLAYING STYLE
        Whist at times we've got it wrong, for the most part we played good attacking football under Warburton. And with a bit more time and backing I think things were at least heading in a general direction.

A PLAY OFF PUSH
        We missed out. Injuries to important players at key times and a crazy run of bad luck with keepers didn't help.

So, for me Warburton was ticking a lot of the boxes.

But, Les and Lee make the decisions and they've decided to get rid of him.

The facts of the operating on a budget and Developing player who'll make the club profit can't really be argued with.

We did just miss out on the play offs
        (Hoos said himself that if we'd have achieved a play off spot, Warburton would have activated the extra year of his deal).

So it must have been down to not playing kids... and to me, that's not really on Warburton... that on the coaches at the younger levels.

If Lee and Les feel that he's not reached his. objectives... this is at least 4 out 5 coaches they're given the job to who have failed.

Because from the 5 full time managers employed on Les' watch, by none of the criteria can any one say , Ramsey, JFH or McClaren achieved any of the objectives.

Holloway consistently reduced the budget, plus he brought through Eze and Bright... so at least two objectives achieved.

Mark Warburton was achieving a hell of a lot more, but deemed not up to the job....

So that's another managerial failure under Les and Lee... maybe we really should be asking 'are they really the people who should be in charge and making these decisions?'
        Great analysis and good to have you posting.

I'm very disappointed that Warbs didnt stay on and get time to wheel awheeesl and improve the squad. It's a cycle that will take many years to get a side capable of getting promoted. The names mentioned to replace him seems less experienced so I'm not sure what the objective is? Perhaps they'll be cheaper to employ and it will free up.more cash for the squad? All very strange to me.

Comment

Working...
        X