Under 23’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under 23’s

Just read a match report from their 1-0 defeat against Sheffield United, report says we did not have a shot on goal the whole game. Good to see consistency throughout our teams.

Everyone seems to big up Paul Hall, Ramsay etc, however our under 18 team is ####, under 23 and B team also poor, very few if any players coming into first team squad, maybe time for a mass clear out of coaches, or save money and abandon these teams as Brentford did.

Most of our under 23s are kids who are 19, 20. The older ones who are 23/24 are not good enough yet we keep them on. We have a few lads out on loan who are still not even getting a game at non league level. Says it all. Unfortunately we don't have anyone who is capable of playing first team football anytime soon so we have to get some youngsters from other clubs cos we sure as #### can't produce one of our own at the minute. We can only really count chair as a success of our academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Romford Hoop View Post
      Just read a match report from their 1-0 defeat against Sheffield United, report says we did not have a shot on goal the whole game. Good to see consistency throughout our teams.

Everyone seems to big up Paul Hall, Ramsay etc, however our under 18 team is ####, under 23 and B team also poor, very few if any players coming into first team squad, maybe time for a mass clear out of coaches, or save money and abandon these teams as Brentford did.
      If you look at players sold ie Eze, Bowler etc Stirling and furlong have been the only two who have come through as players found as youths Eze that deemed not good enough from other clubs. I’ve felt for a long time we’ are underachieving at scouting at an earlier age. The young lad Ronnie Edwards at pboro picked up from Barnet and looks like spuds palace all looking at taking him. With our finances far from awful but gates always restricted ideally I’d say we should look to get at least 1 youth player in a season.

I know a few looking at Armstrong but in reality nobody bar the coaches know if he can cut it. As a positive we seem to pick up willock,eze Dieng etc so there is some positives

Comment

A lot of them are out on loan

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
          A lot of them are out on loan
          To national league - south. The 6th tier of English football. And most struggle to even get a game.

Our U18s are finishing bottom for the 3rd season in a row. Our U23s will also finish bottom this season. And last season were 2nd bottom.

Comment

The other thing to keep in mind is if we ever do manage to unearth a young prodigy there's the risk he'll do a Sterling. OK, we might get a bit of money but it's still not providing an actual player to the first team.

I suppose you need a "reserve team" for players not quite ready for first team due to age or coming back from injury but I just wouldn't bother with any kids' teams below that - it appears to be a dated sentimental out-dated approach that doesn't actually work in the 21st century in terms of feeding the first team a regular supply of talent.

​​​​​Frankly, I've long found the concept of school boys aged from NINE signing with academies very iffy. Maybe there's a model in the future where kids stay firmly within a schools football structure until they're 18 but all Pro clubs are compelled to work with local schools to provide coaching assistance, equipment and use of facilities to support general development of future players?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

To national league - south. The 6th tier of English football. And most struggle to even get a game.

Our U18s are finishing bottom for the 3rd season in a row. Our U23s will also finish bottom this season. And last season were 2nd bottom.
              Everytime I see pictures of our under 23s I'm amazed how skinny and light they seek to look. I know their shape will continue to change a bit but we have lads who are 22/23 and they aren't big enough to cope with professional football certainly not in the championship anyway. Duke, bettache, alfa, owens are all small light players. Armstrong is a unit and he's only 18/19 I think. He looks like his body can stand up to the demands of the pro game. We just look like an oversized schools team.

Comment

The club used to produce talents like Clive Allen, Mcdonald, Waddock, Gallen etc. Time had changed and the club cannot keep dreaming that we can replicate those achievements. It's all about money and ambition. Scrap the youths system. It's waste of money. The best we can do is scout for the Eze, Willock that are there waiting to get their chance.

Comment

There are too many London Premiership teams that the top youngsters want to go to. Our main priory is to get the best of the ones that are released at U23 level and play them in a B team.

I was playing amatuer senior football at 15yr, but I was strong, but if these guys cant play against 23-32 year olds by the time they're 21-22yr they shouldnt be in the game. Het them in and teach them the hard way and stop ####ing about.

Comment

Exactly. Only clubs in the prem have the ability to keep hold of the best young talent and give the scraps to us. Our job is then to find that rough diamond who we can turn into a gem. We did it with eze. We can do it again. This and finding young talent in leagues 1 and 2. You don't have to have big budgets to do it that way. Just good scouts and getting the right type of player.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                      The club used to produce talents like Clive Allen, Mcdonald, Waddock, Gallen etc. Time had changed and the club cannot keep dreaming that we can replicate those achievements. It's all about money and ambition. Scrap the youths system. It's waste of money. The best we can do is scout for the Eze, Willock that are there waiting to get their chance.
                      Got to agree,our youth policy is not working and seems a drain on resources, however I fear the fact that not getting the lads in young enough will hurt the game in general, playing at school level until 18 will dissuade them from staying with the game imo, there are many distractions which can pull them away from the game

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                        Most of our under 23s are kids who are 19, 20. The older ones who are 23/24 are not good enough yet we keep them on. We have a few lads out on loan who are still not even getting a game at non league level. Says it all. Unfortunately we don't have anyone who is capable of playing first team football anytime soon so we have to get some youngsters from other clubs cos we sure as #### can't produce one of our own at the minute. We can only really count chair as a success of our academy.
                        So true.

Comment

Working...
                        X