What Do You Know About Stan Bowles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Know About Stan Bowles?

Hi QPR fans, I'm currently studying football journalism and I'm looking to write an article on "The greatest players you never saw" for my football magazine website: The aftermatch. Obviously, Stan Bowles is a legend at QPR - the club's all time greatest player 2004 as voted by fans - but other people, especially the younger generation, might not be aware of him. Therefore I would love to hear any stories you might have from watching him play or whether any of your friends or relatives could provide any insight. I will credit any responses I use within my article. Please also feel free to contact me at joe@theaftermatch.net Thank you in advance!
    The Aftermatch, football journalism site is coming soon!

There is already a book called the greatest player you never saw, its about a player form Acton called Robin Friday who played for Reading,

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
      There is already a book called the greatest player you never saw, its about a player form Acton called Robin Friday who played for Reading,
      good read as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
        Yes he is the inspiration for my article I am looking to write about more players who fit the similar criteria

Comment

https://www.sportingferret.com/2020/...in-his-career/

Comment

classic....

Comment

Originally posted by Aftermatch_Joe View Post
              Hi QPR fans, I'm currently studying football journalism and I'm looking to write an article on "The greatest players you never saw" for my football magazine website: The aftermatch. Obviously, Stan Bowles is a legend at QPR - the club's all time greatest player 2004 as voted by fans - but other people, especially the younger generation, might not be aware of him. Therefore I would love to hear any stories you might have from watching him play or whether any of your friends or relatives could provide any insight. I will credit any responses I use within my article. Please also feel free to contact me at joe@theaftermatch.net Thank you in advance!
              Even though he never played for Leeds United Stan is a fans favourite there because of the way he used to wind up and have a laugh with them during games.

Here's some recent stuff from their fans

https://www.harrogatewhites.co.uk/ga...021-22-season/

Comment

I think I recall something about him turning up drunk for BBC's Superstars and subsequently getting the lowest score ever on the show.....like many of you, he's my favourite player of all time so I'm not having a pop at him, I just think he was an interesting dude in his day as well as being an amazing talent.

Comment

All I know is he had a sweet left foot, could beat any defender with great skill and ball control, on swamps of pitches, loftus road being the worse.
                  Was hacked down by many of the hatchet job defenders of the time like chopper Harris and just got back up, and then tormented them.
                  And could never misplace a pass at loftus road, it was always the other players fault for being in the wrong place.
                  Oh and apparently liked to go to the bookies before kickoff and got back to the ground at quarter to three

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping Giants View Post
                    I think I recall something about him turning up drunk for BBC's Superstars and subsequently getting the lowest score ever on the show.....like many of you, he's my favourite player of all time so I'm not having a pop at him, I just think he was an interesting dude in his day as well as being an amazing talent.
                    I used to watch superstars because it always had footballers on it and I was football daft.
                    I was so excited hearing Stan was going to be in it and so disappointed he came last, I think.
                    I can remember in the shooting he picked the pistol up from the table in front of him and promptly shot said table.
                    In the swimming pool he was just clinging to the rail at the side, turns out in his book he says he couldn't swim.

Comment

Didnt QprPete do an interview with him for WATRBs?

It must be filed away somewhere on here.

Comment

Loved watching him as a boy and singing his sing in the loft.." I'd walk a million miles for one of your goals oh Stanley ,oooh Stanley oooh Stanley" , could win a game with a dummy ,flick or deft touch the fella was class on bogs of pitches

Comment

I was at his debut against Brian Clough’s Forest, Stan scored in a 3-0 win.

The first of many amazing Stanley Bowles performances.
                          I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Came last in superstars, I was so upset at the time, he was my hero I was about 8years old then.

Comment

Working...
                            X