The Playoff 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Playoff 5

Write off today's FA Cup loss, but not the lessons from it.

To wit, the 5 keys to our playoff run:

(1) Barbet -- our veteran work horse, and leader, on the back line
    (2) Willock -- has become our most daunting playmaker
    (3) Chair -- Paired with Willock -- much better than starting two strikers, a formula that hasn't gelled for us all season
    (4) Dykes -- despite periodic goal lapses, remains our most dangerous striker (Charlie must sit)
    (5) Stefan alternative -- a midfielder ready to up his game and all those around him (Hendrick, Amos, Dozzell, take your pick)

Not to diminish the contributions of the others (Dickie, Dunne, Field, Albert) but the five above will determine how (or if) we ultimately go far.

Thoughts?

___________________Marshall____________________

______Dickie_________Dunne________Barbet____

Maccallum_____________________________Sanderson

____________Hendrick_________Steff____________

_____Willock______________________Chair_______

___________________Dykes______________________

With a good bench

Comment

Very interesting re using a Sanderson further up field, and like the Hendrick/Stefan pairing, but McCallum on the right?

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
        Very interesting re using a Sanderson further up field, and like the Hendrick/Stefan pairing, but McCallum on the right?
        Yes, Sam is a left back but I remember him doing well linking up with Willock and Chair on the right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
          Write off today's FA Cup loss, but not the lessons from it.

To wit, the 5 keys to our playoff run:

(1) Barbet -- our veteran work horse, and leader, on the back line
          (2) Willock -- has become our most daunting playmaker
          (3) Chair -- Paired with Willock -- much better than starting two strikers, a formula that hasn't gelled for us all season
          (4) Dykes -- despite periodic goal lapses, remains our most dangerous striker (Charlie must sit)
          (5) Stefan alternative -- a midfielder ready to up his game and all those around him (Hendrick, Amos, Dozzell, take your pick)

Not to diminish the contributions of the others (Dickie, Dunne, Field, Albert) but the five above will determine how (or if) we ultimately go far.

Thoughts?
          It's probably going to take a combination of all the first team players in the squad, both new and old, it's hard to pin down this player or that player or any group of players with so many games to play , the chance of any player/ players getting injured at any time is a big worry, but I think if anything happens to Chrissy Willock, we would start to struggle.
          it's always interesting to hear people's theories on this team, this format, this player , that player, it's what fans love to do!!
          But with a first team squad of 18/ 20 players at most, you have to have a certain amount of faith in everybody in that squad to be able to come in and do a job for the team.
          Although it seems I may be dodging the original question to a certain extent, I believe the strength of the squad as a whole is what is important.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Swansea 1 - Blackburn 0

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
              ___________________Marshall____________________

______Dickie_________Dunne________Barbet____

Maccallum_____________________________Sanderson

____________Hendrick_________Steff____________

_____Willock______________________Chair_______

___________________Dykes______________________

With a good bench
              What no Field in that team, your having a laugh & switch the backs around or poss play Wallace instead of Mac

Comment

When Field and Wallace play, we win!

Comment

_____________________Marshall/Dieng (when back)____________________

__________Dickie_____________Dunne____________Barb et_____________

Adomah_____________Field______________Johansen____ _________Wallace

__________________________Hendrick________________ _____________

__________________________Willock_________________ _____________

__________________________Dykes___________________ ____________

- Austin - not good enough to start, use as sub when we’re chasing goals. .
                  - Chair - slowing down our play, king of sideway-passing - use as impact sub or when Willock or Hendrick needs a rest.
                  - Gray - alternative for away games when we are playing on the counterattack, and as a impactsub.
                  - McCallum, Odubajo and Sanderson - first WB and CB-backups.
                  - Dozzel, Amos, Ball - first MF -backups. Hendrick can also play in this position when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem View Post
                    When Field and Wallace play, we win!
                    That seems to be true so far.
                    I would also keep Johansen in the middle as he and Field seem to work well.

Austin as a late sub is also good.

I like the idea of Chair and Willock together behind Dykes or maybe Gray, but if it doesn’t work, drop Chair to the bench.

Comment

I think Chair and Willock working together are our most dangerous weapons.

Dykes (and sometimes Gray) up front.

Charlie ONLY as a late sub.

Anxious to see how McCallum looks on his return. Wallace looking a bit less threatening these days.

Sanderson looks awesome. Keep rotating him in to give Dickie and Dunn and Barbet some relief from playing every game.

And as for goalie, given the 2 games/week schedule we now face, why not platoon Marshall and Dieng? Keeps both fresh, and motivated by the competition.

Comment

Field and Wallace for me, first on the team sheet with Willock right now. Thats how important they are to me!

Comment

Is it a coincidence that with Wallace in the side the team rarely lose,I’m honestly unsure.

I see his best attributes as knowing exactly when to get forward and never diving into a tackle,that’s down to his huge experience which is a big plus.

If I’m being honest his delivery from very advanced positions has not been great since being hurried back from injury,how many goals or chances has he created ?

McCallum should add more energy,goal threat and better final delivery on his return imo.

Comment

Hendrick is there for when Johansen needs a rest or has an injury. He is the only other 'wise head' in midfield. If Chair doesn't play then Willock is double marked. Also makes it harder to rotate fouling on two players.

Comment

Working...
                            X