Cook Signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mem View Post

very fair and accurate post imo. I don’t think we have a choice though given our budget constraints.

more hidden young gems like Dickie, Dunne and Dykes would be great but they all cost

Dunne was out of contract at Burnley and was brought in on a free transfer with perhaps a development fee being paid.

Comment

An experience centre back is a wise move - Look at Gary Cahill for Bournemouth the other night - Also we have had some success in the past with the likes of Richard Dunne and Ryan Nelson to a degree

Comment

How many of those legends above were forced to play in a trio of centre-backs and knock it around at the back playing some sort of faux ticcy-tacca nonsense though? Our current system turns decent CBs into gibbering wrecks in my view. It's therefore irrelevant if we bring Cook in - will make zero difference to us.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

Sorry, but you are scraping the barrel with Ben Askar, but, Shittu was the exception to the rule.

6 foot 2, eyes of blue, Danny Shittu is after you.
          Danny had brown eyes.
          This song refers to Steve Wicks, who was a very imposing defensive centre half.
          Danny did have a great song though.
          Who needs Sol Campbell when we got Shittu.
          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
          Work Best When Open...
          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

We are looking at trying to maintain play off push. Jordi is injured, Dickie could go this window. Seems a sensible signing whichever way you look at it. We will need experienced heads and some squad depth if we are to make a push. At present we just don't look solid enough although just about hanging in there.

Going back to Paul Parker started RB for us but then moved into middle. Played same time as Des Walker. Neither had height but both super quick, could read games well and could launch themselves which made up for lack of height. Think played RB everywhere else. Exceptional player for us. We did well to hang onto him for as long as did.

Comment

Paul Parker and Des Walker now your talking defenders both rolls Royce players would be worth more than Virgil at Liverpool class act both of them

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                I’m definitely on the fence with this signing if it actually happens.

Can anybody honestly say they have heard of Steve Cook or have noticed him being a good Centre Back before the rumours about him leaving Bournemouth ?Is he a footballing C/B or someone similar to Dunne

It seems like we would probably paying a transfer fee being as his contract runs out at the end of the season,although most fees are undisclosed I would guess £750k to £1m ?

If Dickie is not off in the window does it mean Jordy is going to the knackers yard ?
                I guess we pay nothing. B'mouth is probably happy to get the salaries off the books.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

I guess we pay nothing. B'mouth is probably happy to get the salaries off the books.
                  Have a read on what the Bournemouth echo thinks if cook leaves before his contract ends.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...cardiff-clash/

More important positions to fill before spending money on another duff signing like Pugh was.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post

Have a read on what the Bournemouth echo thinks if cook leaves before his contract ends.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...cardiff-clash/

More important positions to fill before spending money on another duff signing like Pugh was.
                    That’s it #### him off before or if he signs, typical of people on this site, no wonder they leave, I’m done

Comment

It's a sensible signing to make. Experience and cheap. Prob free transfer or next to nothing fee. Covers us if/when we lose someone to injury/covid/loss of form/transfer. If one of our current back 3 when down then we are left with kakay or field to drop in. Cook is still young enough to be considered a player who could perform well for a other 3/4 years. Get him in. Move on to the next priority. A wing back!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                        It's a sensible signing to make. Experience and cheap. Prob free transfer or next to nothing fee. Covers us if/when we lose someone to injury/covid/loss of form/transfer. If one of our current back 3 when down then we are left with kakay or field to drop in. Cook is still young enough to be considered a player who could perform well for a other 3/4 years. Get him in. Move on to the next priority. A wing back!!
                        Or Wing backs! Plural! Needed on both sides of the park! When was the last time we spent decent money on one single player? Is this what we’ve come to with every incoming player, free transfers, end of contract no fee players or loans costing nothing! Are we that skint?

Comment

Originally posted by lincoln ranger View Post

Or Wing backs! Plural! Needed on both sides of the park! When was the last time we spent decent money on one single player? Is this what we’ve come to with every incoming player, free transfers, end of contract no fee players or loans costing nothing! Are we that skint?
                          Yes we are (probably) that skint and wouldn't underestimate the impact of Covid. We need to be sensible and this is potentially a good example of getting someone in cheap who can do a job and improve depth of squad. Parker obviously doesn't rate him but has loads of experience, only 30 so in theory good few years left at this level and club captain so hopefully will add some leadership as well.

Agree we need wing backs on both sides but also short at CB with Jordi out injured and Dickie apparently attracting lot of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post

That’s it #### him off before or if he signs, typical of people on this site, no wonder they leave, I’m done
                            So is my dinner.
                            I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by lincoln ranger View Post

We have players that could be sold for decent money in Dickie, Dieng, Chair, Willock and perhaps Dykes. I think the next sale will cover the normal overspend and COVID losses. After that hopefully future sales will mean we can buy the odd player for £2-3m. But with all players coming with some element of risk o suspect we will concentrate on players in the last 12 months of their contracts.

Comment

Just on former centre backs, not exactly speedy, but loved them both, Alan MacDonald, and the Colossus that was Big Bob Hazell !!

Comment

Working...
                                X