Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie future

This probably sounds crazy so feel feel to ridicule-

How about Charlie finishing as protector of back line. he is intelligent ,can head, get his foot in , can pass and read the game
    You don't have to be fleet of foot-just a thought

The concentration levels required to play in defence are immense and unrelenting. Charlie and 99.9% of attackers would be found badly wanting. As for screening the defence, that's a ludicrous suggestion, he'd get a stitch after 15 mins.
    This is not a slight against Charlie who I regard as a fantastic no.9 with plenty left to give us up front.

Comment

I wrote something earlier, in a different topic, "square pegs, in round holes ,seldom works" enough said!!!

Comment

Yeah I have been observing those deep levels of concentration by our defenders lately ( sarc) I recall when Charlie allegedly had to be dragged apart from Cameron et al when our defence was displaying the fabled concentration skills half asleep and shipping goals

Kev C - what did you suggest?

Comment

Play the best players you have available in theornatural positions where possible

Comment

Given a partner up front to work with and proper service, and without major injury, Charlie has at least 2 or 3 years up front as one of the divisions top scoring strikers. In a team able to provide that in the premier league, he could still perform there. He is no Ronaldo. but he has the same ability in the opponents area to find the space and target. People would question both players and their positioning, place in the team, as they get to the end of the career (was in an ManU forum recently), yet their job is to score goals. Give them the ball and they'll do it.

Comment

No doubt Charlie is still an asset, but although class is forever, fitness and age will catch up with even the best, his game time needs serious management, I would start him in games rather than bring him on late in games and expect him to do miracles

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                Given a partner up front to work with and proper service, and without major injury, Charlie has at least 2 or 3 years up front as one of the divisions top scoring strikers. In a team able to provide that in the premier league, he could still perform there. He is no Ronaldo. but he has the same ability in the opponents area to find the space and target. People would question both players and their positioning, place in the team, as they get to the end of the career (was in an ManU forum recently), yet their job is to score goals. Give them the ball and they'll do it.
                I'm a big Charlie fan but when you say he is "one of the divisions top scoring strikers" can I just point out that Mitrovic has scored 22 league goals this season, and Charlie has scored 2. Of course he has had personal issues and injuries and been playing the lone striker role, tho only playing the one striker has allowed us to play with two of the most creative midfielders in the division behind him, creating chances, which otherwise would be impossible. I still think he has a lot to offer but lets not exaggerate.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post

I'm a big Charlie fan but when you say he is "one of the divisions top scoring strikers" can I just point out that Mitrovic has scored 22 league goals this season, and Charlie has scored 2. Of course he has had personal issues and injuries and been playing the lone striker role, tho only playing the one striker has allowed us to play with two of the most creative midfielders in the division behind him, creating chances, which otherwise would be impossible. I still think he has a lot to offer but lets not exaggerate.
                  If he were playing up front with a partner, and getting the service, he would be one of the top scoring strikers in the division. That our personnel, formation and style of play at present doesn't allow for that is not Charlies fault. The guy was one of the top scorers in the premier league in a side that got relegated with one of the worst records ever, that player is still there.

I'm not saying that we should change the formation to suit Charlie, we are doing very well as it is. But in my opinion he is one of the best strikers in the division, all be it as a poacher and goal scorer rather than a striker that brings more to the team. He did great against Derby but has been average otherwise, I think anyone would agree that's because he is playing up top by himself, something he's never ever been good at.

Comment

Chas as a defender

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

If he were playing up front with a partner, and getting the service, he would be one of the top scoring strikers in the division. That our personnel, formation and style of play at present doesn't allow for that is not Charlies fault. The guy was one of the top scorers in the premier league in a side that got relegated with one of the worst records ever, that player is still there.

I'm not saying that we should change the formation to suit Charlie, we are doing very well as it is. But in my opinion he is one of the best strikers in the division, all be it as a poacher and goal scorer rather than a striker that brings more to the team. He did great against Derby but has been average otherwise, I think anyone would agree that's because he is playing up top by himself, something he's never ever been good at.
                      The point I was making is playing one up top allows us to play with two very creative midfielders so he has had more chances made for him as a result - not sure you can use the lone striker situation as an excuse for lack of goals.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post

The point I was making is playing one up top allows us to play with two very creative midfielders so he has had more chances made for him as a result - not sure you can use the lone striker situation as an excuse for lack of goals.
                        Fair point, put Lyndon back up there, get a RWB that can cross and a fit Lee Wallace and lets see if Charlie finds the net more often.

I find Chair and Willock good for this level. Chair I think is at his limit and I would not be fussed at all if we sold him for decent wedge, he's selfish at times and i think too selfish for a player that isn't quite good enough to win games single handedly, like Adel could back in the day as an example.

Willock is on the road to big things.

I don't know that i've really seen either connect with Charlie on a level that we saw Lyndon do last season, couldn't say why.

Would Lyndon or another striker do better in the same spot? Probably find out when he's back.

Would I change the setup to better suit Charile according to my analysis? For some games yes absolutely, but by and large we are doing very well.

Comment

The obvious conclusion from this topic is that we really do need to get Lyndon back ASAP. Chas is a Rangers legend, and always will be, he still has something to offer but not as the focus of the attack anymore, he has looked sluggish, slow and out of shape every time has played, you are only going to get limited field time with him, so like I said earlier I think, start him in games so he can pick up the pace of the game early, rather than bring him in late and watch him struggle to get into the game.
                          I love Chas, always have, always will but he is not the player he was, nobody can stop the ageing process I'm afraid

Comment

Chas's goal return this season doesn't lie . Don't know what's happened to him . So want him to do well but just doesn't seem to be going his way

Comment

LRL
                              READ IT

Not as a defender= at the foot of the diamond where he can be creative as well Hoddle was good enough to be a striker if r3quired but when he was shot he played sweeper Crazy gang Cork and Fashnau etc could interchange readily defence attack. You are probably too young to remember John Charles - could play either in his prime. Dion Dublin played centre forward and centre back in his prime. Charlie is past his best as a striker but still valuable

Comment

Working...
                              X