Les and Lee's January looming large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les and Lee's January looming large

Still buzzing about yesterday's game, but know big January decisions loom given ongoing injury concerns (Jordy, Wallace, Sam) and the departure of Ilias, Seny and Osman for the five to six week African Cup.

Think we need two vital signings if financially feasible: (1) RWB -- I totally love Albert, on both ends of the field, but worry about his durability as an everyday game starter -- the same concern pertains to Moses who IMHO is clinically better than Osman; and (2) CM -- if Johansen goes down to injury, and Chair's absent for more than a month, who's our "field general" in the middle of the pitch?

Yes, if all stay healthy and Morocco's stint in the African Cup is short-lived, there is an argument for standing pat. Yet now that we can taste the fruits of promotion, it's hard to turn away from the idea of January reinforcements.

Thoughts?

I do not expect any business. On paper, we have plenty of options in every position - we simply do not have the finance or space in the squad to bring more players in "just in case". At the very least it'd have to be one out and one in.

I reckon Les/Lee have done well over at least three windows and it's now time for this bunch of players and our coaches to just knuckle down and get on with it.

Comment

Mark Warburton has already said there will be signings in Jan to compensate if needed, I posted the link yesterday (assuming the tournament still goes ahead given the deteriorating global health picture).

Midfield: I think we are already over-loaded and don't need any more, we might also play two up top

Defence: a versatile wing back would be useful. Ideally another centre half too assuming Masterson still not ready.

Comment

Where do you look for any.possible signings? Championship teams will not part with anybody that would enhance the team?
        Lower leagues can often give up the odd nugget that can step up in class,, but they are pretty rare.
        It may be a case of just go wiith.what we have and rotate

Comment

Maybe try again for george cox who is playing in Holland?? The left back who almost joined in the summer.

Comment

The FFP rules allow us to spend "generously" if we want to in January. However, Ruben & co want to run a tight ship, and are looking to be self sustainable. But if we are in touching distance of direct promotion when the transfer window opens, I think they will provide cash for reinforcements, simply because they will see that it makes a lot of sense. A couple of new signings might be the difference between Premier League and Championship. They trust Warburton and Ferdinand and know they will spend wisely.

If Warburton does not trust Archer, a goal keeper replacement (loan) might be brought in to cover Diengs absense.

I personally think Chair can be replaced by Amos. Amos played well in the number 10 role before he got injured, and one month from now he might be ready to start games on a regular basis. We might also play with two strikers and Willock right behind.

I think we are more in need of defensive strengthening than finding a replacement for Chair. Regrettably, we cannot rely on de Wijs being available, and Kakay is not such a good alternative for a back three position. Ball and Field are not really tested alternatives, even though they have played center backs before. They might well be needed in the middle of the park. So I think we need a new central defender - ideally one with pace.

Both the wing back positions are fragile even though we have 5-6 players that can fill these roles. I think we are looking at a wing back that can play on both sides if needed.

I think players are available - either loans from Premier League or acquisitions from Championship clubs that need to balance the books. I believe loans are most likely.

Comment

I also think funds will be provided to get in extra players if we're in the top 6. I think these will be loans. They must know from agents whether there's a general interest in our players and if we fail to go up, the books could be balanced in the summer.

It would be a shame not to provide the help needed to potentially help us over the line if there are assets that could be sold later. It makes business sense to do so, surely.

Comment

A negative scenario...... Andre Gray scores in next few games which prompts Sheffield United to offer Watford £3million for him in January. To be honest I'd never heard of such things until precisely that happened when Burnley accepted Bristol City bid for Nakhi Wells.
                Maybe before people get carried away with incomings we need to focus on keeping all the players here through next window. Just having Chair and Willock still here will be good going I reckon.

Comment

I think Gray is in his final year with Watford, so they will not get £3m for him in January. Nakhi had 1.5 years left and pre covid the fees were higher for these kind of players. I wonder if we might have inserted a clause in the loan contract that prevents Watford from selling him based on the Nakhi experience.

Comment

Gray wouldn't join a club up north. The main reason he came to us was that he didn't have to move home or face a long drive to training and games as him and his Mrs had just become parents so he wanted to stay local. Even at the end of the season I would be surprised if he went further north than Milton Keynes!! If he does the business for us then he may sign permanently but all comes down to his wages I suppose.

Comment

I'm more worried about bids for our better players in the window, especially he likes of Willock Chair Dieng & possibly Dickie, and our board don't have a great record for selling players on the cheap, so if anything it's impotant that no one leaves , Gray is out of our control and if someone makes a bid to Watford it's up to them, just like the Wells situation last season

Comment

The odd thing about Andre Gray joining was he was initially reported as signing on a permanent transfer prior to the window closing,then things suddenly changed to a loan.

I would sign him in a heartbeat,his movement in the box is good and not primarily rooted to running in behind defences.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                          The odd thing about Andre Gray joining was he was initially reported as signing on a permanent transfer prior to the window closing,then things suddenly changed to a loan.

I would sign him in a heartbeat,his movement in the box is good and not primarily rooted to running in behind defences.
                          Yeah think he couldn't agree compensation with Wotford or something.

Comment

The way he celebrated his goal with the rest of the team the other night seems to show he is happy enough being with us, I'm not sure how much say a player has in transfers but if I was him, I'd rather be playing regularly in a place close to home, so the work /life balance is in place,, would my wages be a major factor? For me no they wouldn't , for him, who knows, we will have to wait and see

Comment

I wonder if we might have inserted a clause in the loan contract that prevents Watford from selling him based on the Nakhi experience.[/QUOTE]

That would have been wise

Comment

Working...
                              X