Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop the ticky tack on the back line

First things first.

This has been an encouraging season so far, with much to cheer for, and so many fans on hand to do the cheering. Hats off to the QPR family.

But I know I speak for many when I say the slow-paced, back and forth, go nowhere plan to advance the ball from the back is maddening.

The normal play?

Dieng rolls the ball out slowly to Dickie or Barbet, they kick it back to Dieng, then to another CB, and to another, and another. It allows every opponent to keep their shape, advance their front line, and catch their breath. Sorry, but blame this on coaching not insisting on more rapid play. All the time. Every game.

When we move the ball fast -- quick kicks or throws from Dieng, quick CB passes downfield to an unbelievably potent attack that features Dykes getting his head to most balls, quick crosses into the box -- we are among the elite in the league.

Teach that. Train that. Insist on that. And we will no longer be howling about defensive mediocrity but crowing about winning games. Lots of them.

Route one football?

Not for me thanks, we just need to move the ball quicker, not punt it upfield just to come straight back.

Comment

Whenever Dieng plays long balls they tend to come back quickly. I don't want to see more of that. The quiet build up from defence, before it all explodes once McCallum of Adomah go on a run or Chair og Willock get the ball is QPR at its best. Please don't even think of changing that.

What we need to deal much better with is counter attacks from the opposition. It never starts with defenders losing the ball when passing to each others, but high up the field when we get exposed due to our poor pace.

Comment

Lots of good points , but the messing about at the back drives me mad. Just mix it up a bit. Move it quickly so the opposition can't get back in to shape...

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
          Lots of good points , but the messing about at the back drives me mad. Just mix it up a bit. Move it quickly so the opposition can't get back in to shape...
          Agree with mixing it up a bit as it is too predictable and most of not all teams know how we will play.

however, the biggest problem is the lack of pace in both attack and defence.

Another bug bear of mine is this going all out for the win late in the game. Let’s manage the game a bit better and take the draw. Especially given the lack of pace at the back leaves is open to the counter attack - lost a point at home to Bristol City and another on Saturday. How many last minute winners have we had?

Comment

Working...
          X