Barbet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mem View Post
    My view is that Barbet has decided that his future is elsewhere, maybe in France with his young family. He let his contract run down at Brentford, wouldn’t surprise me if he does the same with us.

I’m sure the club have offered him a new contract
    I tend to agree with you Mem , the silence is deafening but it seems to be going unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

It’s a tough one , Dunne just had to be goal side yesterday, he switched off , don’t see what Dickie or Barbet could have done but Dieng should have done better.A lot of goals conceded this season have been glaring individual errors, it’s hard to pin that on a manager . I tend to see the midfield as a bit of a problem, apart from Dom Ball our 3 cbs get no protection, Johansen is to lightweight to play that roll , the return of Field and even Amos will help in that respect.As for which defender is better than who , I don’t know but so far this season Barbet has made less mistakes than the others .
      Easy to be ultra critical but having watched both PNE goals back

First goal- Johansen and Moses individually press high but don’t get near winning possession- both Ball and Dickie together press the same player just inside Preston’s half leaving their player a pass down our right for a run in on goal-Dunne is goal side initially but is beaten for pace- Barbet is appealing for offside but making only a token effort to get back..interesting that Ball gets just as near the goal scorer as Barbet despite being beaten earlier inside Preston’s half.

Second goal- Barbet moves left then centre then back left but fails to stop the ball being crossed.Lots of players back but no one sensed danger so not just Barbet at fault.

Same again being ultra critical both Dunne and Dickie have played relatively few Championship games between them compared to Barbet at 180+appearances and ex captain.

I would agree with your point our protection of the back line is weak with only Ball being competitive in M/F

Comment

This is what I’m asking , heard nothing about any new contract and it seems very late in the day to be dealing with it . As I said he can sign a pre contract agreement with another club in 3 months time and we can do nothing about it .All seems a bit odd to me .
        Fair enough and right to raise it then. For the record, hope he stays.

For me the bigger question is why are we conceding so many? Are our 3/4 centre backs (Dickie included, who some more optimistic fans were even talking of as a £40m player not long ago!) not as good as we think they are? Or are we too attacking, leaving us exposed? Is it mainly long punts down the middle that should be cut out that are costing us (in which case all the centre backs need to take some responsibility, including Dunne yesterday who had been touted as the answer by some)? Or is it the wing back problem (tho I'm not going to blame Willock for the second goal yesterday as he is being played completely out of position - and this should hopefully improve on the left side at least when we can play a recognised left back again)?

As for solutions, I wonder if when he is fit we should try Field and Ball as the midfield two to give greater protection, and have Ilias playing in central midfield and running from deep - with Willock playing just off the main, loan striker? As Stefan this season has been a shadow of his last season self and scarcely deserves a place on current form (not to say he won't improve again). I don't claim to know the answer - all I do know is we can forget the play offs if we routinely ship two plus goals a game.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post

Fair enough and right to raise it then. For the record, hope he stays.

For me the bigger question is why are we conceding so many? Are our 3/4 centre backs (Dickie included, who some more optimistic fans were even talking of as a £40m player not long ago!) not as good as we think they are? Or are we too attacking, leaving us exposed? Is it mainly long punts down the middle that should be cut out that are costing us (in which case all the centre backs need to take some responsibility, including Dunne yesterday who had been touted as the answer by some)? Or is it the wing back problem (tho I'm not going to blame Willock for the second goal yesterday as he is being played completely out of position - and this should hopefully improve on the left side at least when we can play a recognised left back again)?

As for solutions, I wonder if when he is fit we should try Field and Ball as the midfield two to give greater protection, and have Ilias playing in central midfield and running from deep - with Willock playing just off the main, loan striker? As Stefan this season has been a shadow of his last season self and scarcely deserves a place on current form (not to say he won't improve again). I don't claim to know the answer - all I do know is we can forget the play offs if we routinely ship two plus goals a game.
          Agree with all of that but most of our goals conceded have been individual errors, if we can cut that out we should be there or thereabouts.

Comment

I believe Barbet can only sign a pre contract with a foreign club in January. Does anybody know if he qualifies for a Work Permit to sign a new contract?

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
              I believe Barbet can only sign a pre contract with a foreign club in January. Does anybody know if he qualifies for a Work Permit to sign a new contract?
              He's been working in the UK since 2015 when he signed for Brentford, so that was way before Brexit. As an EU citizen all he needed to do was to apply for 'Settled Status' and he can stay in the UK as long as he likes, whether he's working or not.

Comment

I'd be surprised if club have tabled better money than he's already on. Normally it's everyone else telling me we haven't got a pot to pee in, but given our limited budget, there are other players ahead of Johan I'd want to be trying to tie down on extended/better terms. He can stay or go, neither would bother me.

Comment

Seems to have cut out the mistakes like giving away penalties , decent defender

Comment

I like Barbet, and would like him to stay. I thought he was very good towards the end of last season, though much like the rest of the defence appears to struggle with players running in behind them (the downside of a back 3?). I would definitely be trying to tie him down for another year.

Comment

It’s a strange one , I can remember plenty being up in arms when Manning and Bos were running their contracts down yet nothing is being said in this case. It makes you think is Barbet a bit under appreciated within our fan base , a good reliable left footed centre back wouldn’t be cheap to replace.
                      I am astonished that the club has not entered into negotiations with him over a new deal. He is a very reliable mr everpresent as well as a decent player. He should be offered a new 2 year deal with an option to extend asap.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                        Its true he can only sign a pre contract deal with a club outside of England in January.

Comment

could the club have the option to extend by another year?

Comment

Club should be getting into negotations with his agents as soon as possible, give him a two or three year contract extension.

Comment

How does everyone know that the club aren't negotiating another contract with his representatives at this very moment?

Comment

On his day he is one of our better long range passers and first to track back. Keepers.
                                Anyway MW rates him and is not gonna let him go.

Comment

Working...
                                X