Season Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Summary

My view at Xmas was that Warbs was highly thought of at the club and was the right guy to turn this around if he was backed in the Jan transfer window. If he wasnt going to be backed I called out for the return of Ollie. I'm so glad the club backed the right guy and we didnt rely on some kind of Dunkirk spirit to get us out of the mess. To be better off by 10pts from the previous season having sold Eze is an amazing achievement.

Highlight for me was seeing Dykes get his first of many goals after such a long baron patch. What a tough determined guy he must be.

Lowlight for me was having to watch this taking the knee dominate the entire season for all clubs. It should have been a short campaign for one month in my opinion.

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
    My view at Xmas was that Warbs was highly thought of at the club and was the right guy to turn this around if he was backed in the Jan transfer window. If he wasnt going to be backed I called out for the return of Ollie. I'm so glad the club backed the right guy and we didnt rely on some kind of Dunkirk spirit to get us out of the mess. To be better off by 10pts from the previous season having sold Eze is an amazing achievement.

Highlight for me was seeing Dykes get his first of many goals after such a long baron patch. What a tough determined guy he must be.

Lowlight for me was having to watch this taking the knee dominate the entire season for all clubs. It should have been a short campaign for one month in my opinion.
    Agree sheep but didn’t just lose Eze , there was Hall , Rangel , Amos , Hugil , Bos , Manning and Wells who left in Jan . Then when you add the emergence of Dieng and Kakay with the new signings like Dykes and Dickie plus the loan players that followed, it’s been remarkable really .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Agree sheep but didn’t just lose Eze , there was Hall , Rangel , Amos , Hugil , Bos , Manning and Wells who left in Jan . Then when you add the emergence of Dieng and Kakay with the new signings like Dykes and Dickie plus the loan players that followed, it’s been remarkable really .
      OMG, I forgot about all those other players . You can add Carrol to that list too. It was looking so bleak at one time, but the whole club pulled together and it was an amazing journey. And I'm sure we did this with a smallest budget in recent seasons which just goes to show that young and hungry players is a better option than expensive players who regard signing for us as a humiliation!!!

Comment

Highlight of the season, and there have been some goodies, is the relationship between Dykes and Charlie. They play extremely well together and I would suggest Charlie is responsible for lifting Dykes and bringing the best out of him. Credit to Lyndon for pulling it off, but i don't he would've done it without that man, who is ow a club legend.

Next season, if those two are a pair, get a functional midfield behind them next year they will put us in the top 6.

Not only functionally good, it was actually heart warming to see.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
          Highlight of the season, and there have been some goodies, is the relationship between Dykes and Charlie. They play extremely well together and I would suggest Charlie is responsible for lifting Dykes and bringing the best out of him. Credit to Lyndon for pulling it off, but i don't he would've done it without that man, who is ow a club legend.

Next season, if those two are a pair, get a functional midfield behind them next year they will put us in the top 6.

Not only functionally good, it was actually heart warming to see.
          Agree with you there. Austin has been great for Dykes,

The club has done very well to recover after losing so much of last season's squad, and the turnaround in 2021 was remarkable, thanks to the Board backing Warburton to bring in Austin Johansen, Field and De Wijs in January.

Comment

This to me has been the most enjoyable season since Warnock's promotion year by a long way. I know we had the other promotion but the football that season was dour at best and we had a disjointed dressing room and other issues. We finally seem to have gotten clear of the legacies of Flavio and then misguided attempts at buying success since. We have a good dressing room, play nice football and have younger players coming through. Yes we are on a tight budget and we will lose some weeks but that's just how it is. We aren't a massive club, glory hunters may suss out pretty quickly they are at the wrong place.

Next season we know what the ideal is, keep our best players and sign the four loanees. Not convinced that is realistic but certainly not impossible. I would settle for keeping most of our better players, making a few clever cheap/free signings and lumping in a couple of half decent loans from the start as opposed to January.

And we did the double over Lootown. Brother in law one of them. Would almost have settled for that and losing every other match!

Comment

Very satisfactory

Comment

Working...
              X