Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday 27th March (this coming weekend)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday 27th March (this coming weekend)

Heads up for all us old farts
    The Big Match Revisited. ITV 4, 10:30 am.
    Its December 1979 and QPR are at the Abbey Stadium.
    Cambridge United v Queens Park Rangers.
    The undercard consists of some team with a chicken on their shirt versus Manu or someone.
    And other manc versus a pack of wild animals .

I'm pretty sure I went to that match. I remember a game there when their "mob" got round the back of our end, about 8 steps of open terrace, and started lobbing cabbages they'd pulled up from the farmer's field behind that end over the wall onto us.
    I will look for meself in the crowd..... I'll be the one with long hair with a centre-parting!

Comment

Cabbages
      Sunday dinner sorted then!

Should've spawned a new song

Feed the Rssssrssssrsss let them have a cabbage each.
      To the feed the world track, that hadn't actually been written or performed back then.
      Bob was still not liking Mondays
      ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
        I'm pretty sure I went to that match. I remember a game there when their "mob" got round the back of our end, about 8 steps of open terrace, and started lobbing cabbages they'd pulled up from the farmer's field behind that end over the wall onto us.
        I will look for meself in the crowd..... I'll be the one with long hair with a centre-parting!
        a little group of us got in on the side line, it got a bit naughty, and we were put in with the rangers lot on that narrow terrace behind the goal.
        got covered in mud after though, going across that field.

Comment

Wasn't there an old rickety wooden footbridge in that field?
          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
          Work Best When Open...
          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

I recall that game and a great finish from an acute angle by Clive Allen.

Comment

I went their in 81 pre season friendly , I hadn't been to football for over a year and wanted to reconnect with some old friends . I remember outside the away end it was painted on the wall "chelsea's main firm will be axed" in massive letters . It was just before the police cracked down on them and they jailed that pleb the general and his cohorts

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                I was at that game as a youngster with my dad. I always thought it was bricks they were throwing over, I remember we were instructed to stand flat against the wall. I do recall Clive Allen's goal though.

Comment

Think the Clive Allen goal was a later game early 80s .This game Stan Bowles scored .

Comment

The worst I've seen is ipswich away it would of been 76-78 they were breaking off bits of the stand and throwing them over the fence that seperated us . Lots of head injuries , u couldn't get out of the way as the away end was packed

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                      The worst I've seen is ipswich away it would of been 76-78 they were breaking off bits of the stand and throwing them over the fence that seperated us . Lots of head injuries , u couldn't get out of the way as the away end was packed
                      Had a mad night at Ipswich 85 milk cup quarter final , carried on into the replay at loftus Road .

Comment

I just watched the game against Luton that was posted on this board a few weeks ago.
                        I noticed that the red kit QPR wore looked like a much deeper red than the current one that looks a bit pinkish in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                          Think the Clive Allen goal was a later game early 80s .This game Stan Bowles scored .
                          Yes, that's it. It would have been about 81/82. I recall being terrified as missiles were coming over the wall and people did have head injuries near us. Who would have thought that East Anglian teams would be so violent.

Comment

Typical Rs, I give em the big build up and they go and lose

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                              Yes that's correct, I didn't pay much attention to the date. The Clive Allen Goal came in our title winning season under Venables management.

Comment

Working...
                              X