Top 10 QPR managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
    Strange that Gordon Jago name is not in that list.He was Manager between 1971-74 and imo was responsible for assembling our greatest ever team inc recruiting both Bowles and Thomas.
    Spot on. Sexton inherited bulk of that team and frankly didn't do enough building or succession planning so the team peaked but quite rapidly declined too. Maybe I'm being harsh and it was more the board's inertia than Sexton's?

Don Howe was very very good. The formations and tactics he deployed were visionary in my view but the club never seemed to get behind him, think they called him Head Coach and not manager? I think health problems were cited when he left and maybe that was genuine but it felt like club were easing him out in favour of the returning hero, Gerry Francis. He's obviously a Rangers legend but I think we went backwards with him at the helm, he didn't match up to Howe I feel.
    ​​​​​

Comment

Jim Gregory regretted the fact that he sacked Alec Stock. Indeed one of greatest was Alec Stock..
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Spot on. Sexton inherited bulk of that team and frankly didn't do enough building or succession planning so the team peaked but quite rapidly declined too. Maybe I'm being harsh and it was more the board's inertia than Sexton's?

Don Howe was very very good. The formations and tactics he deployed were visionary in my view but the club never seemed to get behind him, think they called him Head Coach and not manager? I think health problems were cited when he left and maybe that was genuine but it felt like club were easing him out in favour of the returning hero, Gerry Francis. He's obviously a Rangers legend but I think we went backwards with him at the helm, he didn't match up to Howe I feel.
        ​​​​​
        Agreed, I think Don Howe was never given the respect his QPR team and style of play fully deserved. He attracted some big names because of his reputation and it felt like we were stepping up to a new level.

Comment

Venables for me is my favourite QPR manager.
          Did an outstanding job for us.
          Great coach. Excellent man manager.
          One of the greatest coaches this country has ever produced.

Comment

1, alec stock.......actually won something, put qpr on the map.
            2, gordon jago......set sexton up nice with a good squad of players.
            3, dave sexton.....made good use of the players and additions. runners up div 1, semi final league cup, quarter final eufa cup.
            4, terry venables....fa cup final, best team lost the replay......and more.
            5, jim smith.....something in 1986, it was the getting there that shone.
            6, neil warnock.....great couple of seasons, promotion to the premier.
            7, ian holloway....put a team together in that third tier on a budget and got us up. loved them 2 seasns in the third.
            8, harry rednapp....just for that zamora goal.
            9, gerry francis......just because he was a great player.
            10, no one worthy...

Comment

Jago has got to be in there ! He set it up for Sexton to take us to our highest ever finish.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                I admit I forgot Jago. He should of course be right up there near the top. I was too young at the time to remember him.
                Missing Gordon Jago is strange, arguably our best ever manager with Alec Stock.

Surely, we must have had better managers than Dowie since 1882.

I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by wormholt View Post
                  3, dave sexton.....made good use of the players and additions. runners up div 1, semi final league cup, quarter final eufa cup.
                  7, ian holloway....put a team together in that third tier on a budget and got us up. loved them 2 seasns in the third.
                  10, no one worthy...
                  Far more accurate.
                  I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by wormholt View Post
                    10, no one worthy...
                    Don Howe?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkranger View Post

Don Howe?
                      Wasn’t it a Don Howe / Bobby Gould double act . I remember it was Gould that was credited with signing Brevett , Peacock and Tilson at the time .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Wasn’t it a Don Howe / Bobby Gould double act . I remember it was Gould that was credited with signing Brevett , Peacock and Tilson at the time .
                        Yes, he did. In fact if I recall correctly, Gould came in to help Howe as QPR had been on a losing run of around (possibly 9) and then Gould came in and we signed those 3 players in 1 week and started winning matches and finished the season strongly.

I would certainly have Jago Stock Sexton Venables and Francis in my top 5. Francis had us playing some great football and we finished 5th (would have qualified for UEFA cup if not for the ban). Warnock Smith Holloway (1st spell) and even Redknapp for winning the play offs in the top 10. Tommy Docherty for an 8th place finish in the 2nd Division better than any other manager not already listed ahs achieved.

1. Stock won our only trophy
                        2. Sexton nearly won the league having added his own style and players to the many fine players Jago bought and developed
                        3. Venables won the 2nd Division title, our only FA Cup final and qualified for UEFA Cup with 5th place finish.
                        4. Jago won promotion and built a good squad to compete on the First Division
                        5. Francis built a very good team that finished 5th and with a bit more support from the Board might have achieved more
                        6. Smith finished 13th, 16th & 5th in the first Division plus a League Cup Final during his time with QPR.
                        7. Warnock transformed a struggling relegation threatened team and won the 2nd Division in 15 months. Might have kept is up in the Premiership but was sacked and replaced by Hughes who spent £15M to achieve the same 17th place he inherited!
                        8. Howe finished 11th and 12th in the First Division during his 18th months in charge
                        9. Redknapp for the promotion play offs winning season and might just have kept is in the Premiership had he not walked out because the Board, rightly or wrongly, didn't back him in the January window
                        = 10. Holloway/Docherty

Comment

Manager history
                          Mark Warburton 08 May, 2019 Present
                          John Eustace 01 Apr, 2019 08 May, 2019
                          Steve McClaren 18 May, 2018 01 Apr, 2019
                          Ian Holloway 10 Nov, 2016 10 May, 2018
                          Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 04 Dec, 2015 07 Nov, 2016
                          Neil Warnock 04 Nov, 2015 04 Dec, 2015
                          Kevin Bond 03 Feb, 2015 12 Feb, 2015
                          Chris Ramsey 03 Feb, 2015 04 Nov, 2015
                          Harry Redknapp 25 Nov, 2012 03 Feb, 2015
                          Mark Bowen 23 Nov, 2012 25 Nov, 2012
                          Eddie Niedzwiecki 23 Nov, 2012 25 Nov, 2012
                          Mark Hughes 10 Jan, 2012 23 Nov, 2012
                          Neil Warnock 02 Mar, 2010 08 Jan, 2012
                          Mick Harford 15 Jan, 2010 02 Mar, 2010
                          Paul Hart 17 Dec, 2009 15 Jan, 2010
                          Steve Gallen 16 Dec, 2009 17 Dec, 2009
                          Jim Magilton 03 Jun, 2009 16 Dec, 2009
                          Gareth Ainsworth 09 Apr, 2009 03 May, 2009
                          Paulo Sousa 19 Nov, 2008 09 Apr, 2009
                          Gareth Ainsworth 24 Oct, 2008 19 Nov, 2008
                          Iain Dowie 14 May, 2008 24 Oct, 2008
                          Luigi De Canio 29 Oct, 2007 12 May, 2008
                          Mick Harford 01 Oct, 2007 29 Oct, 2007
                          John Gregory 20 Sep, 2006 01 Oct, 2007
                          Gary Waddock 06 Feb, 2006 19 Sep, 2006
                          Ian Holloway 26 Feb, 2001 06 Feb, 2006
                          Gerry Francis 16 Oct, 1998 25 Feb, 2001
                          Iain Dowie 28 Sep, 1998 16 Oct, 1998
                          Ray Harford 05 Dec, 1997 28 Sep, 1998
                          John Hollins 11 Nov, 1997 05 Dec, 1997
                          Stewart Houston 16 Sep, 1996 10 Nov, 1997
                          Ray Wilkins 15 Nov, 1994 04 Sep, 1996
                          Gerry Francis 01 Jun, 1991 11 Nov, 1994
                          Don Howe 28 Nov, 1989 21 May, 1991
                          Trevor Francis 14 Dec, 1988 27 Nov, 1990
                          Jim Smith 11 Jun, 1985 04 Dec, 1988
                          Frank Sibley 05 Dec, 1984 01 Jun, 1985
                          Alan Mullery 20 Jun, 1984 05 Dec, 1984
                          Gordon Jago 28 May, 1984 05 Jun, 1984
                          Terry Venables 01 Oct, 1980 24 May, 1984
                          Tommy Docherty 11 May, 1979 01 Oct, 1980
                          Steve Burtenshaw 10 Aug, 1978 10 May, 1979
                          Alec Stock 30 Jul, 1978 10 Aug, 1978
                          Frank Sibley 10 Jul, 1977 29 Jul, 1978
                          Dave Sexton 16 Oct, 1974 09 Jul, 1977
                          Stan Anderson 07 Sep, 1974 16 Oct, 1974
                          Gordon Jago 06 Jan, 1971 27 Sep, 1974
                          Les Allen 01 Dec, 1969 06 Jan, 1970
                          Tommy Docherty 01 Nov, 1968 30 Nov, 1968
                          Bill Dodgin(Jnr) 01 Aug, 1968 01 Nov, 1968
                          Jimmy Andrews 01 Aug, 1965 31 Jul, 1965
                          Alec Stock 01 Aug, 1959 01 Aug, 1968
                          Jack Taylor 01 Jun, 1952 01 May, 1959
                          Dave Mangnall 01 Apr, 1944 31 May, 1952
                          Ted Vizard 01 May, 1939 01 Apr, 1944
                          Billy Birrell 01 Apr, 1935 01 May, 1939
                          Mick O'Brien 01 May, 1933 01 Apr, 1935
                          Archie Mitchell 01 Nov, 1931 01 May, 1933
                          John Bowman 01 May, 1930 01 Nov, 1931
                          Bob Hewison 01 Aug, 1925 01 May, 1930
                          Will Wood 01 Aug, 1924 31 May, 1925
                          Ned Liddell 01 Apr, 1920 31 May, 1924
                          James Howie 01 Aug, 1913 01 Apr, 1920
                          James Cowan 01 Aug, 1906 31 May, 1913

Comment

Redknapp?

That season we got promoted we has Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Traore, Onuoha, Suk-Young, L. Young, Assou-Ekotto, Phillips, Carroll, Jenas, Barton, Kranjcar, Henry, Ephraim, Faurlin, Benayoun, O’Neill, Johnson, Austin, Keane, Doyle and Zamora. We should have walked the Championship but ended 4th in the League. We spent £70m more than we earned - probably the biggest deficit of any club at our level in history and was the reason for the FFP fine many years later that has hampered us until recently. The salary budget of Redknapp that season was higher than Borossia Dortmund.

Redknapp is close to the bottom of my list. That Zamora goal was wonderful but not the five years hangover.

Comment

I included Dowie as he had the highest win percentage in our history. He was very unfortunate to be fired.

Comment

I'm sorry but naming of Traore,Suk Young, L Young, Carroll, Keane and Doyle as superstars that should've carried us over to the title is just plain wrong.
                                Traore was awful, Suk Young was an unknown who did ok but no superstar.
                                Luke Young and Doyle were past it, and Keane well frankly wouldn't score in a brothel and barely any better now.
                                Carroll is/was just Carroll, nothing spectacular.
                                Btw we also had Ravel Morrison.
                                None of this matters, the championship is brutal.
                                We're not the first or last team to discover that, but alot of those were contracts that couldn't be broken irrc.

Comment

Working...
                                X