Nahki Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
    Maybe my memory is faulty but I'm sure there was a period midway Wells's first season when he had a string of iffy games, wasn't scoring, fluffed some chances and got in a bit of mood, received a bit of stick from some parts of the crowd and it all got a bit tetchy? It wasn't all roses and light and I'm not sure he'd bring much to the table in today's team, certainly nothing Dykes and Bonne don't already bring.
    Totally agree. He did get loads of abuse after that terrible penalty miss which would have made it 4-4 v Brum

Comment

As someone else has said footballers have a very short career, compared to those of us with normal jobs, so they need to make it count. However Wells has had a tough few years and his only decent spell during that was with us. Whilst they only have a short career to earn they only get one shot at being professional footballers and at both his and Charlie's age their next move will likely be their last one where they can have a meaningful impact. For both of them that next move (if they stay in this country) will be in the Championship. Wells made it clear he at the time he would have been up for a permanent move here and Charlie obviously has a good connection with the club. I could see us getting one of them but will mean the player bending big time wage wise and probably club pushing wage budget too.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
        As someone else has said footballers have a very short career, compared to those of us with normal jobs, so they need to make it count. However Wells has had a tough few years and his only decent spell during that was with us. Whilst they only have a short career to earn they only get one shot at being professional footballers and at both his and Charlie's age their next move will likely be their last one where they can have a meaningful impact. For both of them that next move (if they stay in this country) will be in the Championship. Wells made it clear he at the time he would have been up for a permanent move here and Charlie obviously has a good connection with the club. I could see us getting one of them but will mean the player bending big time wage wise and probably club pushing wage budget too.
        Bristol City paid 3.5 million for Wells and gave him a 3 year deal on bumper wages . He is not going to take a pay cut to go anywhere.The only way that could work is if City allowed him to leave on loan and subsidiesd half his wages to play for a team competing against them in the same league, not going to happen .Charlie is a different situation all together if WBA choose not to activate his extension clause he becomes a free agent in the summer , then the choice is his .

Comment

There was nothing preventing Wells from turning down the move to Bristol City and joining another club on a Bosman

Players always have final decision nowadays not the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Bristol City paid 3.5 million for Wells and gave him a 3 year deal on bumper wages . He is not going to take a pay cut to go anywhere.The only way that could work is if City allowed him to leave on loan and subsidiesd half his wages to play for a team competing against them in the same league, not going to happen .Charlie is a different situation all together if WBA choose not to activate his extension clause he becomes a free agent in the summer , then the choice is his .
            My thinking is they might allow him to leave for say £1.5-£2m to recoup some of their outlay. They spent a lot to try and get into the promotion race and didn't go up and this year not been great. If Wells would take a hit to play regular football at a club he has previously done well at could happen. I have to say I think unlikely but wouldn't be shocked. Whilst early days we are seeing a lot of value in having someone decent up top both in terms of what they bring on match day and also helping others around them.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
              There was nothing preventing Wells from turning down the move to Bristol City and joining another club on a Bosman

Players always have final decision nowadays not the club.
              True but he got his move in January so had he picked up a bad injury between then and the end of the season there would of been no guarantee of a 3 year contract for him on top money , he would of been mad to turn it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

True but he got his move in January so had he picked up a bad injury between then and the end of the season there would of been no guarantee of a 3 year contract for him on top money , he would of been mad to turn it down.
                Apparently he's on £27k a week. Truely ridiculous wages for a team that does even have parachute money to balance the books. I'm glad we're not paying that for him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/salar...stol-city/amp/

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

My thinking is they might allow him to leave for say £1.5-£2m to recoup some of their outlay. They spent a lot to try and get into the promotion race and didn't go up and this year not been great. If Wells would take a hit to play regular football at a club he has previously done well at could happen. I have to say I think unlikely but wouldn't be shocked. Whilst early days we are seeing a lot of value in having someone decent up top both in terms of what they bring on match day and also helping others around them.
                  Plus he is 31 in June so I don’t see the club paying that kind of transfer fee for a player with no sell on value , that’s not how we operate these days .

Comment

Realistically Wells would have either returned to Burnley to play in their reserve team or continued to be on loan with us if he turned Bristol City offer down.

I got the impression that Nahki would have been happy to sign for us before the interest from Bristol.

Maybe with an out of contract payment for a smaller annual salary.

BOS was quite happy to risk a career ending injury during his contract negotiations with us recently.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Apparently he's on £27k a week. Truely ridiculous wages for a team that does even have parachute money to balance the books. I'm glad we're not paying that for him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/salar...stol-city/amp/
                      Truly eye watering some of these quoted salaries.
                      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                        Realistically Wells would have either returned to Burnley to play in their reserve team or continued to be on loan with us if he turned Bristol City offer down.

I got the impression that Nahki would have been happy to sign for us before the interest from Bristol.

Maybe with an out of contract payment for a smaller annual salary.

BOS was quite happy to risk a career ending injury during his contract negotiations with us recently.
                        Bos had a contract with us until this summer , just like Wells had a contract with Burnley until last summer .Some players are prepared to take the risk but he probably thought he’s not going to get a better offer than this regardless of how long he waits .

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

Truly eye watering some of these quoted salaries.
                          when you look at the QPR page it has Albert as our top earner on 13K a week along with Cameron and had bright down as 7.5K

Comment

Think Austin and Well a bit too similar same sort of goal poachers, and we cant afford him, couldn't afford him when we had him, come the end of the season who would you prefer for next year Austin or Wells, pesonally of the 2 i'd rather have Charlie for next season, but no chance of either if we get relegated

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                              Think Austin and Well a bit too similar same sort of goal poachers, and we cant afford him, couldn't afford him when we had him, come the end of the season who would you prefer for next year Austin or Wells, pesonally of the 2 i'd rather have Charlie for next season, but no chance of either if we get relegated
                              be over the moon with either. For me Charlie would shade it. Just seems to click with the club on every level. Would have to break the bank for either of them but worth doing it for a quality striker at this level. Makes such a huge difference and would help develop others.

Comment

Originally posted by norfolk ranger View Post

He has only got himself to blame he priced himself out of a move to us,you reap what you sow imo
                                It was Burnley that priced him out of our range though. That and a lack of forward planning by QPR (who could probably have sold Eze in a loan back deal) and funded buying Wells. These kind of deals are done by other clubs i.e. St Etienne - Saliba to Arsenal. Perhaps we could try this with Dieng and then loan him back for a season.

Comment

Working...
                                X