Minimum Points Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Points Needed

I have looked over the last five years tables and the highest points tally to get relegated was 51 points by Charlton in 16/17. The highest relegated team tends to get around 41 points.

52 points would guarantee that we stay up and possibly as little as 42 points. We need a maximum of 6W 7D 13L or a minimum of 3W 6D 17L

I think we'll get the 6W 7D from the remaining 26 games with our new energised line up.

Peterborough got relegated with 54 points

Comment

It’s a strange season , no teams really cut adrift and all capable of beating anyone . Previous seasons you would count on Barnsley , Luton , Rotherham all in trouble , this year it’s bigger teams like Sheff Weds , Derby , Forest , etc.

Comment

You have to aim for 50. Any less means going into last fixtures looking over your shoulder. We should be able to get 23pts from remaining games but an injury to a key player like Dieng, Dickie or Austin could drastically change things. I think we are about 10pts behind where we ought to be in this league with this squad and consequently we still have a big job to do in remaining games.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
          I have looked over the last five years tables and the highest points tally to get relegated was 51 points by Charlton in 16/17. The highest relegated team tends to get around 41 points.

52 points would guarantee that we stay up and possibly as little as 42 points. We need a maximum of 6W 7D 13L or a minimum of 3W 6D 17L

I think we'll get the 6W 7D from the remaining 26 games with our new energised line up.

Slight problem we have 22 games left

Comment

Originally posted by Romford Hoop View Post

Slight problem we have 22 games left
            Clearly wine and mathematics dont mix!

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              You have to aim for 50. Any less means going into last fixtures looking over your shoulder. We should be able to get 23pts from remaining games but an injury to a key player like Dieng, Dickie or Austin could drastically change things. I think we are about 10pts behind where we ought to be in this league with this squad and consequently we still have a big job to do in remaining games.
              Losing Dickie could be covered with De Wijs. Lumley would cost points over Dieng. But losing Austin would be a disaster and we need to get as many points on board before he picks up an injury, which is inevitable at some point based on his history.

Matching last seasons total of 58pts would be an achievement with a smaller budget and reducing the number of loan players. Thats 31 more points 8W 7D 5L. That seems a big ask, but who knows?

Comment

Set up each game to win. Keep going. Ignore the minimum points needed, and don't let up.

Comment

Lowest points gained for 6th place? If we’d played and thumped Wycombe and won today, half our fan base would be rightly checking! If only for fun.
                  we’ll finish comfortably in the top half and we’ll all point what ifs at the games earlier in the season.
                  the sweeper is really working, watch how aggressive Dickie and Barbet are now that they have somebody mopping up behind them. Throwing themselves at challenges on the halfway and when needed they’re coming right into that centre midfield area to mop up, dickie did it time after time the other night and then carried it forward. Barbet was doing similar at Luton but opting to pass. They’re not doing that without being told to, so hats off to the coaches, and allow Cameron the odd dodgy pass cos he’s doing alright behind them. Nasty feeling about Derby, but if we can get another win under our belt, up the table we’ll confidently go. It’s a big factor once you get momentum

Comment

As a yard stick, I always say that as long as our points tally exceeds our games played throughout the season, then we are doing okay. This is purely based upon the fact we play 46 games, and 46 points+ is generally enough to stay up.
                    ON my "not very" scientific basis, we are currently doing enough to stay up .

Comment

Last season when play was suspended we were 13th on 50 points.
                      If we didn't gain a single point after resumption of the league we would have still stayed up, but quite a few people on here were panicking about our poor form when the league started up again.

At the end of the day, it's not about the number of points you get, but rather keeping three teams below you.

Comment

In the games I've seen it seems that, apart from Norwich, any team can beat any other. But I fear the way we are set up with the players at the managers disposal and choice (wing backs who cant cross) that it will be a close thing as as per other posters we really need the key players of Charlie A, Rob Dickie and Sammy Dieng to stay fit .

Comment

Originally posted by Pal View Post
                          Last season when play was suspended we were 13th on 50 points.
                          If we didn't gain a single point after resumption of the league we would have still stayed up, but quite a few people on here were panicking about our poor form when the league started up again.

At the end of the day, it's not about the number of points you get, but rather keeping three teams below you.
                          Agreed, but you need to be playing for points to achieve that.

Comment

21 games left to play which include matches against the following;

Home - Bournemouth & Brentford (we nearly always lose to them), Wycombe, Luton, Blackburn, Millwall, Barnsley and Sheff Weds.
                            Away - Watford, Norwich, Swansea, Bristol City (always lose there), Preston, Forest, Rotherham, Middlesboro, Birmingham & Stoke.

I don't see many wins in these games given our squad and form (home is especially poor where we can't even seem to score a goal never mind get a win). We will do well to get to 50 points unless some drastic changes in personnel or luck.

Comment

It's a funny season as there are teams below us that you wouldn't think would be down and aren't likely to go down. What happens if Sheff Weds appeal again and have the 6 points deducted given back to them.... The fact their current total of 19 points include the deduction means they've actually achieved 25 points so are likely to win more games than their 19 point tally suggests.

Derby look to be putting a run together and I can't see Forest going down. I was hoping Rotherham would secure the next spot with Wycombe but they score goals and have 2-3 games in hand on most sides. I'm hoping Warnock's lot turn them over Wednesday! Wycombe will fight till the end as they view their championship status as a surprise and a blessing so won't get too down about it, which makes them more dangerous. However, I don't think they have the quality to get out of it.

So Wycombe plus 2 others. Rotherham, Coventry, Cardiff, Millwall, Birmingham, Huddersfield, QPR and maybe up to Luton are in the mix.

Past seasons points tallies don't mean a bean when the gap from top-middle-bottom is what it is. We need to follow the cliche of "concentrate on the next game", which is Watford away and in my opinion a game we can get at least a point from. Factor in we have to play everyone mentioned above 1 more time, these are the bigger games.

A point against Derby would have been huge for us as now we area sweating on most sides down there playing twice before we play Watford. Fingers and everything crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X