No announcement yet.

Tommy Docherty - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember being at Watford in a game I think we won 2-1.
    Watford fans singing the usual Mary Brown song, we joined in and totally drowned them out, Watford got a right spanking on and off the pitch that day.

Comment

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post
      I remember being at Watford in a game I think we won 2-1.
      Watford fans singing the usual Mary Brown song, we joined in and totally drowned them out, Watford got a right spanking on and off the pitch that day.
      Trudging up through the allotments was always a pain.
      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

He did Dave I was there a 5 1 win over Coventry in their famous brown kit .
        Even better than I recall it then.

Comment

Was it the Doc that signed Tony Currie ? Great to have a player like that join us as Stan was coming to an end at that point .

Comment

RIP “The Doc” a Proper manager.
            Remember him being sacked and then reinstalled a week or so after
            F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

Was it the Doc that signed Tony Currie ? Great to have a player like that join us as Stan was coming to an end at that point .
              Currie was signed that summer so probably yes, by Docherty as Steve Burtenshaw was sacked after our relegation.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

Currie was signed that summer so probably yes, by Docherty as Steve Burtenshaw was sacked after our relegation.
                Steve bloody Burtenshaw , don’t remind me off him , worse than Mullery .

Comment

I saw him at a sports dinner once and thanked him for his QPR work as he was passing. In his broad glaswegian accent said 'nee problem son'. During his speech he said he thought Jim Gregory was a crook.

Comment

It was during the Docs time I started following QPR, listening to BBC World Radio for the scores over here in Norway and subscribing to home programs that I receiced three at at time after three home matches whenever secretary Phillips found time to send them - they were often two months old but it was like Xmas every time. So fond memories of the Doc and the time - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                      Wasn't he manager for our 7-0 home win over Burnley?
                      Brought in Chris Woods, Currie, David McCreery ?
                      Got beaten up on a train platform remember that.
                      His time with us was overshadowed I thought with Venables taking over after him and taking us to the cup final and eventually promotion.
                      TV stole the early 80s headlines.
                      RIP Doc
                      Your right about Venables taking us on but to be fair to the Doc the foundations had been laid . Hazel , wicks , roeder , currie , Allen , waddock were there . Venables added the Palace boys Fenwick , Flanagan and Sealy and we took off .

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                        It was during the Docs time I started following QPR, listening to BBC World Radio for the scores over here in Norway and subscribing to home programs that I receiced three at at time after three home matches whenever secretary Phillips found time to send them - they were often two months old but it was like Xmas every time. So fond memories of the Doc and the time - RIP
                        Same as me in Wales!!

I used to write all the results, scorers and attendances in my blue book! Classic record keeping!!

Comment

Your right about Venables taking us on but to be fair to the Doc the foundations had been laid . Hazel , wicks , roeder , currie , Allen , waddock were there . Venables added the Palace boys Fenwick , Flanagan and Sealy and we took off .
                          Good info mate.
                          Always thought looking back it was all down to TV.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Good info mate.
                            Always thought looking back it was all down to TV.
                            Just remembered it was TV that brought Allen back from Palace , think he signed Stainrod as well , I should really know that .

Comment

I was just reading up on his times at QPR (my memory fails me), did he really have 3 stints (2 only 9 days apart) and all 3 appointments lasted in total a little over 18 months?...crazy times to be a manager back then. RIP Doc.

Comment

Sheepy, I had the same book only it was red. Great times!

Comment

Working...
                                X