17 shots, 1 on target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 shots, 1 on target

Everyone loves talking about time of possession, but when you have little ambition to create scoring chances it matters little. Today, against Bristol City, we had 72% of the possession and 17 shots with only ONE on target. One.

If you didn't watch the game you'd be perplexed. But if you did, you see why. One, we have very little touch within the box that results in goal scoring chances. Two, we play around with the ball too much with far too few drives to goal. The remedy? Instruct the back line to be unafraid to drive toward the box; tell the midfielders to stop playing around and pound balls into the box; ask Eze in particular to pass less and initiate more.

In the summer we have to look to recruit players like BOS who are unafraid to aggress. I don't mind the losing as much as the lack of ambition to score when (as is often the case) we are behind in a game.

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    Everyone loves talking about time of possession, but when you have little ambition to create scoring chances it matters little. Today, against Bristol City, we had 72% of the possession and 17 shots with only ONE on target. One.

If you didn't watch the game you'd be perplexed. But if you did, you see why. One, we have very little touch within the box that results in goal scoring chances. Two, we play around with the ball too much with far too few drives to goal. The remedy? Instruct the back line to be unafraid to drive toward the box; tell the midfielders to stop playing around and pound balls into the box; ask Eze in particular to pass less and initiate more.

In the summer we have to look to recruit players like BOS who are unafraid to aggress. I don't mind the losing as much as the lack of ambition to score when (as is often the case) we are behind in a game.
    Things won't change MW only plays one way needs to change.

Comment

That was Bristol City who prides themselves with clean sheets.

“Clutch defending, as the manager calls it, we do it the day before the game or on a Wednesday which is where you have all 11 players behind the ball and try to make it as hard as possible for the other team to get in behind us, to pass the ball through the lines. In the last few games we have done that really well and if we can keep doing that it will take us far hopefully,” he said.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/team-per...e-key-weimann/

Comment

There was enough action in and around their goal where we should have scored at least once, sadly I think this is the type of match where we miss Wells and his ability to finish, it's gonna be a long frustrating run to the finish line I think!
        @gatorTFC

Comment

OPTA style stats are irrelevant. Also, a home team a goal down is obviously going to be chasing the game and "going for it", particularly as the clock ticks down, so possession stats are also irrelevant.
          Bristol City are one of several teams who have hit their stride, got a rhythm and momentum going and will push on over remaining games. We, on the other hand have no rhythm, momentum or ambition of promotion..... We stutter along constantly appearing to "re-set" and start again. The best we can hope for is to win 5 or 6 of our remaining games, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Comment

You may be right, Gator. Yet given we don't have Nahki, and that Shodipo and others pose no real offensive threat, we need our midfielders and defenders to aggress.

For what it's worth, we looked more threatening in the second half as we so often do. MW has found no way to inspire better starts to games, with a thirst like we showed versus Luton and a few others earlier this season.

Why is it so difficult to return to a strategy that was working...and much more exciting?

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              OPTA style stats are irrelevant. Also, a home team a goal down is obviously going to be chasing the game and "going for it", particularly as the clock ticks down, so possession stats are also irrelevant.
              Bristol City are one of several teams who have hit their stride, got a rhythm and momentum going and will push on over remaining games. We, on the other hand have no rhythm, momentum or ambition of promotion..... We stutter along constantly appearing to "re-set" and start again. The best we can hope for is to win 5 or 6 of our remaining games, hopefully sooner rather than later.
              Agree.

Yet given we won't be promoted or relegated, how 'bout putting on a better show for the fans? More drive, more pace, more ambition?

Comment

Tbh I didn't see the game, but 17 shots suggests The Surgeon has us playing the right way.
                Not putting away those shots is down to the players.
                So only playing one way is not the issue, surely the

Comment

Agree.

Yet given we won't be promoted or relegated, how 'bout putting on a better show for the fans? More drive, more pace, more ambition?
                  A couple of weeks ago I thought we were safe, I'm not so sure anymore!
                  @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                    Tbh I didn't see the game, but 17 shots suggests The Surgeon has us playing the right way.
                    Not putting away those shots is down to the players.
                    So only playing one way is not the issue, surely the
                    You missed the match and we lost, what's going on here?
                    @gatorTFC

Comment

17 and 1 is a state straight out of the blind league

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post

You missed the match and we lost, what's going on here?
                        I don't know what else to try now gator
                        I wonder whether to branch into human sacrificebefore each game

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post

A couple of weeks ago I thought we were safe, I'm not so sure anymore!
                          I'm in agreement, major blunder I think

Comment

At least we now have fewer players which means MW has less scope to f*ck about with things.

Comment

Agree.

Dont be so negative,only 12 points off the play offs,we just need to put together a winning run and we have a chance

Comment

Working...
                              X