Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Wallace

Just an option before I get shot down!!
    Would Lee be an option to play centre back next to hall? Warbs wants a left footed cb and we have all seen barbet look very suspect when he's not in possession. Wallace looks like he has the height to play there and I'm sure he can play out like barbet can but if he is a better defender then surely he's an option to start there if manning can get to grips with his new role? Also, he can mentor manning into the role by playing right next to him and the guy is a proven leader after captaining rangers.

Any thoughts?

Very good question!

We have actually quite a few options to play alongside Hall, but there are issues with all of them.

The most obvious one to most fans is Leistner. However, I believe Warburton considers him an old fashion "head and tackle" defender, and doesn't consider him to be able to play it out from the defense the way Warburton would like us to play. I think we should respect this point of view - it is an important part of the way Warburton wants us to play. Leinstner will be sold at the first opportunity and possible during the January transfer window, if we succeed in bringing in another central defender.

This leave us with three other options: Cameron, Ball or Wallace:

We know Cameron can play well as a central defender. But Cameron cannot play more than maximum 30 matches a season, so he is not a permanent replacement. We have yet to see Ball play in this role. So far he has only played in midfield, apart from a few minutes as right back. We have obviously not seen Wallace yet.

Masterson is probably an option at one stage, but I suppose it is too early.

Given Leinstner's shortcomings, Cameron's health, the fact we might need Ball in midfield when Cameron cannot play, it would be great if Lee Wallace could fill this role, given Manning's decent performances as a left back.

Comment

I’m not convinced about Manning at left back so would rather see if Wallace can improve us there. Don’t get me wrong Manning is doing alright defensively but going forward he lacks something a natural wide player has. See Robinson’s cross for forest first goal at Fulham yesterday for example.

Manning would them become a good option in centre mid.

I see the comments above were made pre BFG’s performance yesterday....

Comment

Manning has been good a left back as far as i have seen. got a great engine - can tackle - getting better in the role each game. i don't understand the lack of faith in him making that position his

Comment

A sale of Leinstner is probably already decicided, but the fact that he`s got so many important attributes required for playing in this division makes me wonder who the new CB will be? Maybe we have to look abroad? However, IMO, it has to be a fast one, and they are not easy to find given our tight budget.
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

i wouldnt change a winning team. though, yeah i suspect wallace will be given a go after the next loss
            Rangers Til I Die
            follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

When will Wallace finally make an appearance?

Comment

I think a back 3 with Hall Leistner and Barbet is a better option as this allows the full backs to push up into midfield and have 2 strikers. Liestner is a solid defender and just what the club needs in the Championship.

As for Manning, why the rush to drop him? He has performed very well, cn tackle and join in with the attacks, wehere he can cross the ball into the box. Then there are his penalty taking skills.

Comment

People wanting to drop Manning LOL I’m actually baffled sometimes if people watch the same games as me.

Comment

Yeah I'm also baffled by many fans urgency for Wallace to come back, basically suggesting he should instantly replace Manning...Based on what exactly???

Yeah sure, MW knows and trusts him, but most of his time actually playing for Rangers was in the lower Scottish leagues when they were on their way back up. He had 1 season for them with any decent amount of matches in the prem, which in itself is a very poor league and not of the Championship standard, and he's only played a handful of matches in the last 2 years. So with that in mind, why should he at 32 instantly oust a very good young player who is playing very well even though it's not his favoured position?

I'm sure Wallace will prove a great squad player and no doubt MW got him with a place in the starting 11 in mind, probably based on Manning being listed in the squad primarily as a midfielder, but given how he's done at LB, will Wallace really improve the team currently??

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                      People wanting to drop Manning LOL I’m actually baffled sometimes if people watch the same games as me.
                      i know - Manning has been probably our best defender and down the left side our best attacker too! and he takes a mean penalty!

Comment

Working...
                      X