Our tempo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our tempo

I haven't started a thread in a long time so thought now would be a good time.

In my opinion, the problem with us is our tempo without the ball, more so than with it. What I mean by this is our lack of movement off the ball. Bidwell or Cousins (whoever is RB, so the rest of this ill just put RB) will get the ball and then the wingers will fall wide or drop short. They will never turn and run in behind for us to stretch the team.

Likewise when Bidwell or RB get the ball to the winger, they won't overlap they will just hang back to get the ball back off them, rather than bombing on.

When Luongo & co get the ball in the middle, they will look wide and again, see the wingers dropping wide rather than making a diagonal run in behind the full backs. This means we are always passing in front of the full backs rather than getting the ball played in between the left and right back. Look at how Wolves play with Doherty. He will always bomb on and make the diagonal run inside, meaning when he gets it he is between the full backs and centre backs so he can just drill the ball in, rather than doing what we do at the moment and have to cross with a height, something Wells and Hemed are struggling to win.

We have too much hanging back, wanting to get the ball on the safe side and then cut in, pass it back, pass it across, pump it long. Pawel will always hug the touchline without ever making that diagonal run inside to turn the defence. Cousins managed to do it once in the first half and that was about it.

Does that make much sense to people? As in my mind, it is where we are going wrong. We are passing the ball okay - ish, but without movement off the ball then there is very little that we can do to break teams down. Its all well and good passing the ball faster but the runs need to be with more purpose. When Freeman went inside, he gestured a few times for BOS to run inside.

I touched on Wolves but you look at the top teams, City, Liverpool etc and their wingers start wide and go in, which is what we never do. (yes, I realise I have touched on the two top teams but it's just doing the basics right).

I agree sponge, we are too slow and the movements non existant at times, it makes you wonder if they do pass & move in training tbh, we`ve this supposed super coach yet our play is soo slow and boring, but as been said before it makes you wonder if macs so concerned about conceding and holding them back, as later on or if obviously we`re a goal down then we start playing a bit, from what ive been watching it seems the plan playing safe until later on, even at home
    http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

i agree too. we rarely look threatening from the wings and when we do its coz of freeman or because we've worked really hard and just powered through. we're not doing the simple stuff good enough in attack and look toothless and nervous at times.

pavel works hard and is a good winger at this level but his end product isn't great, doesn't help when furlong hangs back and doesn't support him either.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
        i agree too. we rarely look threatening from the wings and when we do its coz of freeman or because we've worked really hard and just powered through. we're not doing the simple stuff good enough in attack and look toothless and nervous at times.

pavel works hard and is a good winger at this level but his end product isn't great, doesn't help when furlong hangs back and doesn't support him either.
        Agree corbs & its a strange one cos furs used to overlap and attack, ands very good at it tbh, but the whole teams seemsto of stepped off.
        http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

i agree and think that the all round movement of the players is too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Agree corbs & its a strange one cos furs used to overlap and attack, ands very good at it tbh, but the whole teams seemsto of stepped off.
            furs needs to be a cb imo especially if lynch goes. furs is ok with the ball at his feet but i still think hes just league 1 at best as a rb. think he has a lot of potential as a cb and reckon he'll be there on wednesday after halls suspension

Comment

100% agree and have said many times our movement off the ball is so bad. I've missed one home game this season and when you watch the games you see all the (lack) of off the ball action. When we played well it was generally characterised by good, high pressing and forcing mistakes, we don't see that anymore. There was a glimpse against Leeds, but now there's nothing. The question I have is that McClaren's fault or is it the players?

Comment

so many players want about 6 touches of the ball before passing - our build up play becomes so easy to defend against as stoke showed on sat.

Lumley wants to hold the ball rather than releasing as does scowen and freeman - one touch football is not something we seem to play

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

I like Furlong, but I think he's technically limited. He does make the right runs but isn't great on the ball which really lets him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post

I like Furlong, but I think he's technically limited. He does make the right runs but isn't great on the ball which really lets him down.
                    Furs is reactive to what team mates are around him.
                    When the likes of Cameron, Rangle etc are playing, Furs looks more sure of himself, when they are not, he always looks a bit nervous on the ball.
                    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                    Work Best When Open...
                    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

I've been saying this for awhile, maybe BOS and possibly Shadipo will give us some attacking speed but as the OP says it's lacking all over the pitch!
                      @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                        I've been saying this for awhile, maybe BOS and possibly Shadipo will give us some attacking speed but as the OP says it's lacking all over the pitch!
                        Exactly, and I also think this part of the reason why Eze gets so much stick, I've lost count the number of times he's picked up the ball slowed down the game and drawn in opposition players but the rest our team just stands still!

Comment

Exactly that. If people are running in behind then he has a pass to pick. No creative player can create without movement.

Comment

BOS and Pavel are both capable to chasing through balls if and when given the opportunity. The problem these days is that the team seems so freightened of being taken on the counter. Not sure this made any sense....
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                              BOS and Pavel are both capable to chasing through balls if and when given the opportunity. The problem these days is that the team seems so freightened of being taken on the counter. Not sure this made any sense....
                              i've been very impressed with BOS this season. he looked a bit lost at times last season and was still very raw but he's surprised me this season with how much he's developed and grown. he tracks back and covers well whilst also looking promising in attack.

out of curiosity does anyone else think he has the ability to be a striker? i know his goal record isn't great bit he has the attributes of a striker imo. his playstyle reminds me a bit of thierry henry (not a comparison to henrys ability lol don't jump on me plz)

Comment

Working...
                              X