X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharpy View Post
    Yes it`s just us adults that can do that

Comment

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority ! I'll get me hooped specs back on immediately.

I think at QPR he was a bit of a confidence player. If things didn't go his way, sometimes you could see his head drop, and I often recall Wilkins chasing after him, patting him on the back and gee'ing him up again.

I do recall one of Les's 1st games for us at Peterborough, might have been a cup game, I think Samson scored an OG in a 1-1 ???
      Anyway, we swore Les was blind in one eye as every time the ball came over his shoulder he seemed to run in the opposite direction !
      If only we knew what was to come.....Legend anyway.

Comment

As much as it pains me to say it, Ian Wright for me, his record shows he scored more goals, over a longer period.

They would have been an awesome pairing up front together though.

I wonder if there still fit enough?
        I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Sir Les for me, one of our all time greatest. Ian Wright scored more goals but was in a team that had more chances created.

A right handful for most defenders, if only we had a similar type of player now
          I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

rather watch marsh and bowles ahead of those 2 any day,worth the ticket money on their own

Comment

Les is a god, but a totally different player from Ian Wright. Wright was the archi-typal fox in the box (incidentally, exactly what we need right now) rather than the aerial powerhouse Sir Les was. Sir Les scored with his head and from outside the box, Wright scored most of his in the box.

Similar careers in that they came into the Pro game late, but before you all take the line 'Wright had better service at the A-nal", etc., remember that he and Mark Bright formed THE partnership of the early nineties at Palace and he was fantastic there too.

Sorry, but any who think Sir Les is the better striker are looking at the world through blue and white tinted specs. Sir Les is a Rangers Legend and the best striker I've seen play with us, but it took him a couple of seasons to get there. Different kind of player, but Ian Wright is in a different (higher) class altogether.

Comment

Have we just got on our blue & white specs as everyone im saying this to is looking at me like im crazy....getting absolutley bantered for saying Sir Les :(
                @chrisrobson9

Comment

Bias or not, i actually feel Les was more of a complete striker and had the lot. Great for us and in a totally different situation for Newcastle. Also never recall him letting England down when called upon.

Wright was also top class and it is very close call. He is probably what you'd call a more natural finisher.

AS for England, they both played in an era of stupidly high quality strikers... Shearer, Fowler, sheringham and themselves, (if only we had that lot now in their prime) that neither really got as many games as they would've in other times.

Comment

Wright got far more exposure because he was in a side that was winning things but if you watched Les regularly, he was a much better player than Wrighty, however if you ask the question to the man in the street, Wright would walk it because he got more media exposure.

Comment

I am a hoop of 30 odd years but I have to say, one of the biggest mistakes we made was not buying that guy from Palace when Don Howe wanted him.

He was a better platyer that Les in all aspects of forward play, and yes, he could header a ball.
                      Kept the faith!

Comment

Different players.

Les couldn't really finish (look back at the number of miskicks, shinners and daisy cutters he scored) but had an excellent all round forwards game. Pace, power, aerial ability for a relatively short guy.

Ian "****" Wright (let's not forget that he spat at a female QPR steward and had many run ins with fans) was a world class goal scorer with no real game outside the box.

Would have been an ideal partnership and indeed, one that George Graham tried to make happen a number of times.

Comment

In terms of a striker Sir Les was more of a complete player, but Wright was a lethal finisher and on the back of that went on to achieve more in the game.
                          Win or lose, on the booze

Comment

Sir Les for me.

Ferdinands game was about so much more than scoring goals, he had the ability to hold the ball up bring others into the game and unlike Wright scored all his goals from open play. I can't ever recall watching another striker out muscle and jump the likes of Bould, Adams, Pallister & Bruce let alone one whom was 5/6" shorter.

Wright may have been a better finisher, but Sir Les was faster, stronger, harder, better in the air and all round nicer chap. At Newcastle he went onto become an even better player and also proved he was a 30 goal a season stiker when playing with a top team just like Wright. Pretty certain all his goals come from open play whilst at the Toon and he also weighed in with a large number of assists.

Pretty certain Ian Wright never ever scored against QPR in his career, whereas Sir Les did so that must make him a better striker ;)

Sir Les was IMO a real No.9 and still my all time QPR hero
                            Last edited by W12_Ranger; 18-01-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

ian wright is a ****

That's all I have to say

Comment

Both top drawer but if i had to choose it would be Wrighty, sorry!

Comment

Working...
                                X