No announcement yet.

Genuine debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else that puzzles me... I might be wrong here, but didn't we make an approach for Darren Ferguson while he was at Posh in the summer?
    He apparently turned us (and others) down to stay loyal to them. Fine.

But now he's out of work, no compensation required, available etc.... we don't want him?
    Or maybe we have approached him, and he doesn't want to know?

If the latter is the case, you really HAVE to look at the reasons for that and seriously question things. Same for Coppell and others.

And if we don't want him now he's free.... that seems odd, no?
    Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

You might favour darren Fegruson, but thats also a contencious potential appointment that wouldn't get 100% backing by the fans. If he has turned us down already, not sure I'd be making another offer. Have to remember, that managing Peterborough United is far inferior to managing a pressure cooker that is QPR.

I know someone like Hart may not be the glamorous appointment, but considering our championship status, he really is not a bad choice from the few on the market. He will have a point to prove after being shafted by Portsmouth FC
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Just a guess here, but I think you'll find that FAR more QPR fans would be more positive about Ferguson than Hart.
        Nobody would get 100% approval from any fans.

Not saying they'd definitely be right, but he'd definitely be a more popular appointment. Based on his achievements, his potential, his name, his style of play etc..
        I personally think he'd be a very good choice.

I don't think him turning us down before to stay loyal to Posh should exclude him, as if "he's had his only chance to come to QPR and he blew it". That would be madness on our part.

Good young and progressive manager. As you say though - given TIME.
        Last edited by Goddard; 16-12-2009, 01:48 AM.
        Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

a time long ago Brian Laws also did well at Sheffield WED? Dident he get them promoted?

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
            Good post..I think its more lets see who is out of work (by definition they are not going to be the best candidates) and I suspect Flav will give the final say after interviewing the prespective managers, on who gets the job. It is getting frustrating and would imagine Gianni Paladini is responsible for drawing up a list and introduing them to the owner.

We are in the championship and led to believe with the appointment of Dowie the players were consulted and wanted him even though managers like mcClaren and Ince threw their hats into the ring. I would love to see an appointment that will blow us away, but whilst we are in the championship cannot see it happening. Sure Flavio took advice on Sousa from one International manager and decided to go for it. We could not forseee the lastest incident involving magilton, but my guess is that they were becoming disilluisioned anway (don't know for a fact). What we lack is patience and so many times offer a knee jerk reaction, when waiting a little bit longer would be far more sensible.

What like getting rid of sousa you mean? I know, i know, clean sheets are boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post
              So we're now about to appoint our 4th full time manager in 19 months.

On the assumption that Bernie, Flav and Amit know little about the ability, pedigree and history of potential football managers, they must be given guidance, advice and direction by someone else. My assumption is that they seek advice from Gianni?

How much exactly have these manager's cost us? I doubt we'll know the true figures, but I would imagine each would have some sort of signing on fee/golden hello, plus a healthy salary and protected employment rights? I imagine Dowie got compensation, Sousa is still fighting for his (plus associated legal costs) and it seems Magilton will be going the same way.

My question is this....are the Board giving Gianni the brief to find a specific type of manager (cheap/young/short term), or is there an open brief to just go out and find the best man we can get at any given time?

This really frustrates the hell out of me. With all the money spent on hiring and firing, plus the reputational damage to our club, in hindsight we'd have been better of just hiring a high calibre manager first off. This must have cost us a small fortune so far, and its still not getting better.

I dont know who we'll get in next, but what is the likelihood that it'll be someone genuinely capable of getting us promoted? Someone to inspire the fans, the players, our sponsors etc?

Isnt it about time we tried something different?

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.
              Bang on!!!!!

Comment

To be honest Pete - i don't give a crap what other clubs in this division do or hire, im only concerned about QPR.So Jones hasnt achieved much at cardiff....I dont care.

We had an opportunity 3 years ago to appoint a decent manager.New owners, new investors , new begining etc.Ok to make one mistake - but we didnt learn and made 8 more.To such an extent now any manager with any sort of minerals would either leave us alone or think..ok job for 3 months if i do well great if i don't - il get an early pay off.

The comments made by MYU are a concern, that they don't seem to care that much.Some one is feeding some ballshat to the board and they seem to be buying into it.

We are now a laughing stock in the football world and in local pubs.Having had 4 weeks of being talked about re our football...4 weeks in 3-4 years.

So stuff this talk about what other managers have or have not achieved, with the clout we have behind us - we should be setting our stalls out by getting the best manager and telling him to go and win the league.If we lose 3-4 games...leave him alone....let him bring his players in and just blend quietly into the back ground.As mentioned - how much money have we had to throw away on the past managers? Good business???

Alas - i feel another inept stepping stone stepford wife manager with some one sitting in background counting their % already.

Happy Blommin Christmas , new ****** year and shat rest of season.:tired:

Oh and great post by Clunge...

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                  You might favour darren Fegruson, but thats also a contencious potential appointment that wouldn't get 100% backing by the fans. If he has turned us down already, not sure I'd be making another offer. Have to remember, that managing Peterborough United is far inferior to managing a pressure cooker that is QPR.

I know someone like Hart may not be the glamorous appointment, but considering our championship status, he really is not a bad choice from the few on the market. He will have a point to prove after being shafted by Portsmouth FC
                  Mate, i can't believe you genuinely believe that? Hart could well prove to be a good appointment, but there are far better suited candidates on the market.

1 Ferguson
                  2 Curbishley
                  3 Coppell
                  4 Jewell
                  5 Burley
                  6 P Taylor
                  7 Vialli
                  8 Gullitt

The last two may be slightly out of our reach, but if our owners showed enough ambition and backed them in the transfer market, removed the sporting director and gave them full control over ALL transfers, then there is no reason to why we should not be able to land ANY of the above candidates.

Pete, please don't say you would rather Paul Hart over any of these, although they are not all 100% ideal with the majority of fans, they have all achieved more than Paul Hart has, which is nothing

IMO, Burley would be a very realistic and better appointment

Comment

Including Ferguson there's no way we'd pay the wages of any of those and/or give them the transfer budgets that they'd want
                    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Perhaps some people have vested interests in keeping the revolving door moving?

Comment

I think the truth of the matter, is that there are very very few managers who have been successful all the time or who have had some success and then there reputation has taken a battering, I mean lets look at managers that have won promotion in the last few years, Boothroyd, Brown, Pardew, Dowie etc all managers that have done well then there reputation has taken a battering. Warnock was nothing manager achieved ****** all until he took Sheffield Utd up and promptly back down again. David O'leary had Leeds as a champions league club challenging for honours, but after that collapsed and a short spell at villa the guy is currently unemployable.

There are very few managers that have had success at two clubs in a row.

There are so many factors at play, coaching team, players already at the club, transfer purchases, financial state of the club.

IMHO Hart has been chosen because a) He will come, and b) He turned around Portsmouth last year without buying many players and did it on the training field. Portsmouth start this season is due to the club being raped by its owners and losing its best players. The appointment might not be as bad as people are suggesting

Comment

Think a Vialli appointment would not get 100% backing for obvious reasons, would love Guillit, but his man management skills have been called into question, but the kind of name that would shake this place up.

As for the "normal" contenders, honestly would only have Coppell from that list. I know many like Curbishley, I don't. Hart has done very good things with youth set ups and was in my opinion doing well at Portsmouth considering the board sold all his players.

The problem we have is that Flavio is not a football man, he has the money yes, but F1 is his baby and he needs the man in the middle. Agreed some managers won't work under that kind of agreement, but we have to understand the set=up at the very highest level don't work solely on QPR 24/7 and you could not have someone like Curbishley going to Flavio it wouldn't work and I'm guessing trust has been installed between GP and Flavio. Thats not defending the man, just a realisation on the set-up of the club, with investment brings certain criteria and that in my view is where we are.
                          ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

And therein lies the problem..
                            "Originally Posted by qblockpete
                            QPR will finish at least in the Play offs
                            Swansea will finish in bottom 6
                            Middlesboro will finish champions"

Comment

Vialli wouldn't work - tainted by Watford debacle.

Agree Gullit would be a name but would be akin to a short term sugar rush. A massive high followed by an equally huge crash when his failings kick in (Roy Keane-esque).

Curbishley would be a "no" for me - heard too many questionable things from a wide variety of sources. Coppell would be ideal but he's turned the job down before and himself was turned down for the job by Wright and Blackburn in 2001.

Bite the freakin' bullett and give it to someone like Mancini!!!

Comment

^^to pete ^^ well that needs to change and change quick... managers need to manage,hire,and fire... sporting director is ok for the ironing out of contracts etc but the manager needs to be at the helm.....THATS HOW FOOTBALL WORKS until this is the case we are going nowwhere:electric_shock::electric_shock:

Comment

Working...
                                X