Luongo. Enough is enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
    Mass has had many good performances for us as well - doesn't deserve to be coated off and generalized as 'pony', he's learning his trade still in this league.
    This.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
      Cheers, Jack. Can't ask for more than that. Half empty? Sometimes I don't even have a glass ...

Cheers. And a fair point. Yep. Wrong time to raise the thread. Sorry, folks. Should have just enjoyed the point and the performance. Thing is I thought we could have taken all three, so was a tad disappointed. The fact we didn't wasn't entirely down to Luongo, obviously, but I feel his offensive inability had much to do with it. Hence the tantrum. One provoked by watching Luongo underperform offensively for eighteen months. Perch was the player breaking up play yesterday. Manning up against Shelvy. That meant Luongo was the creative of the three. And the one meant to get ocassionally in front of Washington and Mackie. Which, as ever, he wasn't. And didn't... CMs can't be simply 'destroyers' or 'creatives'. They need be a bit of both. Sure Luongo covers and tackles. That's a CMs day job. They need also chip in goals and assists. He doesn't. I've concluded he can't and won't

Cheers too, Hereford. You may be right. On reflection I think, probably, that I have a poorer opinion of Luongo than I should perhaps because that particular persistent irritant on here keeps stridently instructing us he's the best midfielder in the championship, which he so clearly isn't. That might, in part, help explain why he's my present doll. Maybe I just miss the People's Armand..?

But I stick to the opinion that Luongo doesn't bring what he should to the table. If he'd were even average offensively he's have made more of his chances last night and created a chance for someone from that break away. He ought have stopped Burton's second Saturday. But, hey, he scores the winner Saturday (or creates it) I'll be as pleased as punch.

Loads of positives last night. Hands up I should have focused on them first. We've had so few of them this season
      Well said mate and good analysis. He hasn't quite reached the level of performance shown playing for Australia. I think one goal could make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by roller25 View Post
        What are the stats on last night Nas? From my viewing I reckon Luongo made double the amount of tackles as the next highest tackler in our team.
        I'd bet he didn't make as many tackles as Manning though

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
          I'd bet he didn't make as many tackles as Manning though
          Manning made 6 tackles, Luongo made 5 but Luongo also made an interception that Manning didn't do. Luongo also won a couple in the air and manning only won one and Luongo made a successful dribble which manning didn't do. Only Perch played more accurate passes than Luongo (39 to 38) and no one on our side took as many first touches as Luongo with 77 touches.

Someone above mentioned that the simple thing that must be done with Luongo is to just make it clear that he's not the offensive midfielder. Bringing in Ravel does that. Luongo now doesn't have to worry about being the driving force in the midfield and can instead just focus on defending and releasing it forward.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            Manning made 6 tackles, Luongo made 5 but Luongo also made an interception that Manning didn't do. Luongo also won a couple in the air and manning only won one and Luongo made a successful dribble which manning didn't do. Only Perch played more accurate passes than Luongo (39 to 38) and no one on our side took as many first touches as Luongo with 77 touches.

Someone above mentioned that the simple thing that must be done with Luongo is to just make it clear that he's not the offensive midfielder. Bringing in Ravel does that. Luongo now doesn't have to worry about being the driving force in the midfield and can instead just focus on defending and releasing it forward.
            So basically Manning won more tackles than Luongo.

Comment

So basically Manning won more tackles than Luongo.
              That is indeed correct... Luongo did more in general though.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

That is indeed correct... Luongo did more in general though.
                Irrelevant when answering a question about the number of tackles made, which was what I was doing.

Comment

Irrelevant when answering a question about the number of tackles made, which was what I was doing.
                  I should have just tagged Roller's post instead, as he asked what were the stats overall. Couldn't be bothered to look back though

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                    Pony player. Been watching his empty shirt for eighteen months now. Offers nothing. A handful of passable games. The rest have been rubbish. Benchmeat at best. Ideally off to China. Get the new lads in.

Great point.
                    I stopped myself from replying earlier because the thread annoyed me, partly because you're entitled to your opinion.

I totally disagree, but understand Mass can have his off days or 1st half woes. BUT overall and IMO he's one of my stand-out players for us. Smithies is clearly the our POTY realistically but for influential players on the pitch, Luongo ticks that box for me.

The guy works hard for 90 minutes, he does the jobs that nobody notices as important, similar to why Henry got slated week in week out. Lastly I am pretty sure he's one of our top if not our best player when it comes to most assists.

PONY? Wow, you need a wake up call if he's Pony.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
                      I stopped myself from replying earlier because the thread annoyed me, partly because you're entitled to your opinion.

I totally disagree, but understand Mass can have his off days or 1st half woes. BUT overall and IMO he's one of my stand-out players for us. Smithies is clearly the our POTY realistically but for influential players on the pitch, Luongo ticks that box for me.

The guy works hard for 90 minutes, he does the jobs that nobody notices as important, similar to why Henry got slated week in week out. Lastly I am pretty sure he's one of our top if not our best player when it comes to most assists.

I'm wide awake. Going forward he's worse than pony. S hit in fact. Assists? Yeah, right. But there it is.

Comment

Manning played 60 minutes as opposed to Luongo's 90 as well.

Not digging out Mass, thought he had a good game overall but 6 tackles in 60mins far out trumps 5 in 90.

Comment

Mass is getting better and better each season for me - he's had more of an influence on games this season than last, and that signals improvement.
                          I'd remind supporters that we aren't buying the finished article in players anymore - including Mass. Developing nicely IMO.

He was fantastic up at Wigan earlier on this season, as well as Leeds at home on the first day, and Reading away the other week.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                            Manning played 60 minutes as opposed to Luongo's 90 as well.

Not digging out Mass, thought he had a good game overall but 6 tackles in 60mins far out trumps 5 in 90.
                            Loving that, Bakes. Cheers.

Comment

Mass has been here since the start of last season, hasn't he? More than enough time to be playing more effectively and more consistently. Very slow progression IMO.

Compare his performances and his effectiveness to the team with young Ryan Manning, a lad who was thrust straight into first team football with a Championship side, without the benefit of time in League One either.

Comment

He done ok last night , Tired in the 2nd half , his fitness ??? But for me just doesn't do enough in most games, and goes missing in far too many games, and in some games just non existent i.e. Blackburn & Burton recently, and quite a few more

Comment

Working...
                                X