No announcement yet.

Luongo. Enough is enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 is a good poster, genuine fan but does like a doll to push pins into. Some are like that others are happy clappers, we all have opinions but not always the same ones.

On Luongo, he does struggle in the final third, decent in other areas, simple keep him out of the final third. Tackles well, breaks up play very well, just can't perform in the area that counts.
    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Mass has had many good performances for us as well - doesn't deserve to be coated off and generalized as 'pony', he's learning his trade still in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
        77 is a good poster, genuine fan but does like a doll to push pins into. Some are like that others are happy clappers, we all have opinions but not always the same ones.

On Luongo, he does struggle in the final third, decent in other areas, simple keep him out of the final third. Tackles well, breaks up play very well, just can't perform in the area that counts.
        I don't think he's got the physicality to be a top championship defensive midfielder. He does have ability on the ball and should be better going forward. He'll learn to make better decisions

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
          I don't think he's got the physicality to be a top championship defensive midfielder. He does have ability on the ball and should be better going forward. He'll learn to make better decisions
          League one his level?

Comment

I like Luongo but he proper frustrates me. Has all the attributes to be a top all round player yet seems to panic more than a remain voter when he gets near the box.

Comment

Some of his passes were wayward, a couple of times on the break he chose the wrong option and he didn't score (slightly unfortunately) when presented with 2 good opportunities but he was integral to our performance last night and to all of our recent excellent away performances. It is so often him that is winning the ball back and allowing us to counter quickly by driving forward with the ball with his energy and tenacity. He's the closest thing we've had to a box to box midfielder for a long time.

What are the stats on last night Nas? From my viewing I reckon Luongo made double the amount of tackles as the next highest tackler in our team. If that's the case then choosing yesterdays game as an opportunity to criticise his performance says a lot about some supporters and their distorted perceptions. Will there ever be a moment when some don't need a boo boy? I would have thought after probably our best away performance of the season and a 2-2 draw against the league favourites might be the moment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                  Was not aware we won tonight?
                  Nor was i and he does the stats oh sorry God

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                    Although 77 seems a glass half empty merchant, I do respect his opinion even if I don't agree with him. Luongo was very poor Saturday but I thought he was fine tonight and excellent v Reading.
                    Cheers, Jack. Can't ask for more than that. Half empty? Sometimes I don't even have a glass ...

Originally posted by wortonranger View Post
                    Also respect 77's opinion, but am baffled as to why anyone would want to be so negative and share it after such a brilliant result when presumably all the rest of us are upbeat. Takes all sorts I spose.
                    Cheers. And a fair point. Yep. Wrong time to raise the thread. Sorry, folks. Should have just enjoyed the point and the performance. Thing is I thought we could have taken all three, so was a tad disappointed. The fact we didn't wasn't entirely down to Luongo, obviously, but I feel his offensive inability had much to do with it. Hence the tantrum. One provoked by watching Luongo underperform offensively for eighteen months. Perch was the player breaking up play yesterday. Manning up against Shelvy. That meant Luongo was the creative of the three. And the one meant to get ocassionally in front of Washington and Mackie. Which, as ever, he wasn't. And didn't... CMs can't be simply 'destroyers' or 'creatives'. They need be a bit of both. Sure Luongo covers and tackles. That's a CMs day job. They need also chip in goals and assists. He doesn't. I've concluded he can't and won't....

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post

Cheers too, Hereford. You may be right. On reflection I think, probably, that I have a poorer opinion of Luongo than I should perhaps because that particular persistent irritant on here keeps stridently instructing us he's the best midfielder in the championship, which he so clearly isn't. That might, in part, help explain why he's my present doll. Maybe I just miss the People's Armand..?

But I stick to the opinion that Luongo doesn't bring what he should to the table. If he'd were even average offensively he's have made more of his chances last night and created a chance for someone from that break away. He ought have stopped Burton's second Saturday. But, hey, he scores the winner Saturday (or creates it) I'll be as pleased as punch.

Loads of positives last night. Hands up I should have focused on them first. We've had so few of them this season

Comment

Comment

I cannot understand some of the comments on Mass. No wonder some players never make it here and then flourish elsewhere! Granted he is no Messi, however, he works very hard for the team and wins a lot of tackles. He do score goals as that is not one of his best qualities, but he is very good at what he is suppose to do, that is, break up play and starting our attacks. Is he the perfect midfielder.....of course not. If he's very very good he will be snapped away like a flash. He reminds of Derry bar the experience, which Shaun had with abundance when he joined. Will he be as good? Given time and support I say yes, maybe even better! Most sites chose him, together with CW and Smithies as our best performers on the pitch. I hate how prejudised supporters take a player to be a scapegoat. Let him flourish, he will be a big asset one day.
                        Last edited by Martinmalta; 02-02-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                          Once we get Ravel in the lineup, his role will be more well defined and he can play his defensive game without the scrutiny of needing to be as offensive as some expect him to be.
                          Once ravel is in team, luongo should be on bench. Who you dropping? Manning?!

Comment

He's a real mixed bag. Has bags of energy, invaluable for intercepting the ball and accelerating away with it, but passing is mixed, shooting hopeless and defensively switches off. Need to work on these issues on the training field.

Comment

On his day he is a decent Championship midfielder. When it's not his day he is average League 1 standard. Unfortunately for every good day he has a bad one. No doubt he has the ability to be a consistent decent player.

One thing I do know though is that he isn't the best midfielder in the league. He has plenty ahead of him for that title. As others have said may well get benched when everyone is fit and available.

Comment

If he was consistent he wouldn't be playing for us though. Spurs would of kept him.

Comment

Working...
                                X