No announcement yet.

Abuse in football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been going on long before the 60s and 70s. My grandfather was the Master in a Boy's Home in the 1920s-30s. He had an assistant master who tried it on with the boys. Fortunately my grandfather was loved by the boys and one of the boys told him. The assistant left the same day with a boot up his backside.

Comment

There's some comments today from Paul Devlin in GWL but he'd only joined the club after Gieler had left. Bill Power is the man they should be interviewing as he was Chairman at the time all this was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
        There's some comments today from Paul Devlin in GWL but he'd only joined the club after Gieler had left. Bill Power is the man they should be interviewing as he was Chairman at the time all this was going on.
        Was he there as chairman all the time it was going on Stan ? Gielder was connected to the club a long time
        Last edited by dogsrrs; 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
          Was he there as chairman all the time it was going on Stan ? Gielder was connected to the club a long time
          CG was at Rangers from early 70's and is pictured in the Facts about a Football Club book which was published after our 2nd place finish in 76. Certainly not fair to apportion it on to Bill Power thats for sure, there were other chairman before him.

Comment

worrying thing is it's almost certain qpr did know that giedler was abusing our young players. he was at our club for 30+ years as the head of youth recruitment and was responsible for bringing through the best players ever to come from our academy during his time with us before suddenly and quietly leaving in 2003 before dying a year later.

not being funny but ANYONE who's been at a club for 30+ years, especially in such a high profile and key job would be treated as a club legend when they died with matchday programmes displaying his face on the front page/1 minutes silence before the game etc. heck, i can remember west ham (i think) giving a testimonial for one of their groundskeepers who'd worked for them for 30 years and i'd like to think that the role of chief youth scout is one that's a bit more high profile.
            i think what happened is the club found out about the abuse in 2003 and got rid of him then but didn't take it any further, which if true, is disgusting and unacceptable from everyone involved in the possible coverup.

not saying that's what happened but i'm just putting 2 and 2 together and sadly it seems the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
              CG was at Rangers from early 70's and is pictured in the Facts about a Football Club book which was published after our 2nd place finish in 76. Certainly not fair to apportion it on to Bill Power thats for sure, there were other chairman before him.
              I agree. I'm just saying that Power was Chairman at the time of Geiler's departure, so they'd have got more out of interviewing him rather than the fruitless one with Devlin as he'd only arrived after Geiler had left.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                I agree. I'm just saying that Power was the Chairman at the time of Geiler's departure, so they'd have got more out of interviewing him rather than the fruitless one with Devlin who arrived after both Power and Geiler had left.
                I am hoping it wasn't just brushed under the carpet and he left quiietly due to ill health but it is strange that a servant of 30 years didn't get a minutes silence upon his death, unless it happened pre-season of course. Clearly though it seems there was some level of acceptance that things had been going on but you have to go back to that time and whilst clearly wrong when you look back now, at that time it is becoming quite clear to us all that these sort of things went on at a very high level back then and they were generally accepted and brushed under the carpet across many many areas of society and life.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                  worrying thing is it's almost certain qpr did know that giedler was abusing our young players. he was at our club for 30+ years as the head of youth recruitment and was responsible for bringing through the best players ever to come from our academy during his time with us before suddenly and quietly leaving in 2003 before dying a year later.

not being funny but ANYONE who's been at a club for 30+ years, especially in such a high profile and key job would be treated as a club legend when they died with matchday programmes displaying his face on the front page/1 minutes silence before the game etc. heck, i can remember west ham (i think) giving a testimonial for one of their groundskeepers who'd worked for them for 30 years and i'd like to think that the role of chief youth scout is one that's a bit more high profile.
                  i think what happened is the club found out about the abuse in 2003 and got rid of him then but didn't take it any further, which if true, is disgusting and unacceptable from everyone involved in the possible coverup.

not saying that's what happened but i'm just putting 2 and 2 together and sadly it seems the case.
                  Personally think club at time should be praised for actually taking action given blind eye was turned by previous owners

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    I am hoping it wasn't just brushed under the carpet and he left quiietly due to ill health but it is strange that a servant of 30 years didn't get a minutes silence upon his death, unless it happened pre-season of course. Clearly though it seems there was some level of acceptance that things had been going on but you have to go back to that time and whilst clearly wrong when you look back now, at that time it is becoming quite clear to us all that these sort of things went on at a very high level back then and they were generally accepted and brushed under the carpet across many many areas of society and life.
                    I agree again. The trouble with brushing things under the carpet for so long and to such a scale is that eventually the pile becomes so big that you end up tripping over it - which is exactly what's happening now with all of these chickens coming home to roost. What we're seeing was an inevitability of course and just a matter of when, not if.

Comment

• This isn't a football problem its a society problem. When ever people have off key desires they will find ways to satisfy them. I mean people still marry young children in the third world and their sisters in the USA. And my god you just knew QPR would come up as any smut smear wrong doing in UK football and we always named. Just shows how putrid to the core this club has been for decades.
                      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

• Just been made aware of Bill Power's post on Report. Seems he only joined the club in 2003. In which case I suppose Chris Wright was still the owner at the time of Geiler's departure, except Wright was in the process of trying to sell the club, so I've no idea who was in charge of the day to day club running at the time...

Comment

• ...ok, according to BBC and Wiki, Chris Wright sold his controlling interest in the club in 2001. Chris Geiler left in 2003, before Bill Power joined the club that same year. So I'm wondering WHO actually owned the club at the time of Geiler's departure. Anyone know?

Comment

• Thompson's
                            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

• Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                              Thompson's
                              No, that was years before. Thompson sold the club to Wright in '96. Who owned the club in '03 is the question.

Comment

• Who was the owner who died banging a brass ?

Comment

Working...
                                X