Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After watching abit of football on tv yesterday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching abit of football on tv yesterday....

Is it just me or is there so much more of this passing sideways and backwards going on now like here at rangers, compared to years ago, finding its driving me mad watching it with boredom, seeing england do it all the time & us, just seems to be nearly all teams now, like a break away move, ball gets played out to the winger whos got space to run at the defender, but then stops and passes back ffs! How many times does that seem to happen, soo predictable its making any games so hard to watch for me personally! Whats everyones views on it, just dont recall it being anywhere near as bad bitd!
    http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Personally I can see why sides are doing it but prefer the old fashioned have-a-go football that the classic England sides were built on.

Comment

Deffo mush, its just not how it was back in my day give me back the old days over this any day for me!

Comment

Its all about keeping possession these days. If that winger thinks he will lose the ball, its better if he passes it back to start the attack again rather then losing it. After all, the opposition cant score if you have the ball.

People hoping we will move back to 442 will be disappointed, this isn't ever going to happen. 4231 is the modern system, its just that most teams, including ours, dont have the players with the ability to play it at its true potential yet.

I remember when we beat Swansea 3-0 at home under MH, they were doing a lot of side to side passing but they've evolved into a very decent outfit these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
          Its all about keeping possession these days. If that winger thinks he will lose the ball, its better if he passes it back to start the attack again rather then losing it. After all, the opposition cant score if you have the ball.
          Possession and pulling a defending side out of their shape so you can play killer passes in behind. Personally don't think we are good enough to do this and would prefer to see the old school attacking play any day of the week.

Comment

Yeah true jeems & i suppose the money side has come into it even more now where managers are afraid to lose their jobs aswell! Im with mush on what id like to see, just think too many teams and manager follow trends, some need to be braver and not just go with the flow!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
              Possession and pulling a defending side out of their shape so you can play killer passes in behind. Personally don't think we are good enough to do this and would prefer to see the old school attacking play any day of the week.
              Well for one, do we have anyone that can play that killer pass? And second we need our attacking mids to be able to score.

We lack pace, power and vision in midfield. I hope our new signings can settle in quickly. Jury's out on Seb but his hold up play is getting better. Our NW team was actually set up perfectly for 4231.

Mackie (9 goals) Tarbs (19) Routledge (5)
              HH (13)

We also had Akos, Smith and Ephraim as back up for those attacking roles. I cant see our mids getting anywhere close to 33 goals this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                Well for one, do we have anyone that can play that killer pass?.
                Aside from Chery ? Possibly not but time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                  Aside from Chery ? Possibly not but time will tell.
                  Chery plays so many killer passes but his teammates never finish the business annoyingly. Again, look at Nasser's big miss yesterday on the highlights from a beautiful ball from Chery.
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Unfortunately, too many teams and managers think it's clever to go out with the attitude of trying to avoid conceding and losing first and foremost. And as you would expect, this inevitably leads to negative and boring football. Been happening for a while now and we are expert at not providing entertainment.

In addition, the general standard of footballer, certainly in this division is apalling. I find it hard to believe that blokes that train every day are incapable of accurate passing and the amount of players that cannot get shots on target from in and around the penalty area never ceases to amaze me.

Always look forward to a matchday. Unfortunately, the worst part of them is almost always the hour and a half having to watch such awful football. Not sure how much longer I can hack it to be honest. Shepherds Bush is a bit of a trek for a few beers.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                      Unfortunately, too many teams and managers think it's clever to go out with the attitude of trying to avoid conceding and losing first and foremost. And as you would expect, this inevitably leads to negative and boring football. Been happening for a while now and we are expert at not providing entertainment.

In addition, the general standard of footballer, certainly in this division is apalling. I find it hard to believe that blokes that train every day are incapable of accurate passing and the amount of players that cannot get shots on target from in and around the penalty area never ceases to amaze me.

Always look forward to a matchday. Unfortunately, the worst part of them is almost always the hour and a half having to watch such awful football. Not sure how much longer I can hack it to be honest. Shepherds Bush is a bit of a trek for a few beers.
                      Totally agree. Get so many on here moaning about premier league football but some of the games in this division would grace my local park. Problem with the fl is, it's all about 1st to the ball and fitness, hence why you throw in a flair player, ie adel and it's a walk in the park for him where you can nutmeg 2 or 3 donkey and massively contribute to winning the game.
                      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

With the modern game being so Stat driven, is the backwards/sideways passing because players want to keep their stats positive?
                        Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                        Work Best When Open...
                        @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Too much money involved to have a go. Been drummed into teams nower days not to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
                            With the modern game being so Stat driven, is the backwards/sideways passing because players want to keep their stats positive?
                            It's a fair call. I also think because Barcelona can do it well, others try and copy it. Swansea used to be terrible for it but good to see they use pace and excitement these days
                            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

not the modern game at all - been going on for decades - Ray wilkins was known as the crab playing for Man utd - Hansen and lawenson Made a career out of passing the ball to each other...the great italian teams of the 70's were bread on it...nostalgia is a wonderful thing

Comment

Working...
                              X