So what exactly is a set piece goal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
    The move broke down for Ned's goal, was that a set piece goal?
    Yes, as the move did not completly break down as Wigan did not clear the danger. As Nasser says. If it wasnt for the free kick Onuoha would not area.even been in the Wigan area.

The truth is clearly that QPR are reliant on a set piece/dead ball in order to put sides in danger of conceding. As i have said before, just like Greece in Euro 2004.

Ask almost any football fan who recalls those finals and they will say they were the most boring winners of the modern Euros.

Comment

The move broke down for Ned's goal, was that a set piece goal?
      No, because the term 'set piece' would imply that the entire move from free-kick to when the ball ended up in the net was carefully planned. It clearly wasn't; however, the goal definitely was scored as a result of the advantage of the dead ball situation - which all of our goals this season have been.

Comment

The main issue is we show absolutely no sign of scoring a nice goal from open play. Look at City's first from today - a perfect example of the type of goal that you want to see your side creating.

Comment

Nice goals may come when players know what runs other players are making?

Comment

The move broke down for Ned's goal
            < FK from Bidwell
            < Knock down from Polter
            < Pass from Ned
            < Return pass from Polter
            < Ned scores.

How has that move "broken down"?

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiend View Post
              The main issue is we show absolutely no sign of scoring a nice goal from open play. Look at City's first from today - a perfect example of the type of goal that you want to see your side creating.
              Yes.
              I guess wjat some on here choose not to accept is that QPR have so far only scored league goals from penalties or from corners and free kicks from which the ball has been delivered into the penalty area.
              There is no decent football being played where the ball is passed around to create scoring chances. In other words, the football is boring sh!te and no wonder the attendances at QPR are falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass
                Check this, three Wigan touches. https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialQPR
                That's only one touch, which was the assist from the Wigan player to Ned for him to score. Polter wins the knock down in the air from the FK.

Comment

One touch from a defender sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    < FK from Bidwell
                    < Knock down from Polter
                    < Pass from Ned
                    < Return pass from Polter
                    < Ned scores.

How has that move "broken down"?
                    i seem to recall seeing it that way too, but according to some the touches were from Wigan players. I have not recorded the goal to freeze frame it.

Comment

And a long goal kick in to the box could be a set piece goal on that 'dangerous area' logic too if it pings around in there?

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                        i seem to recall seeing it that way too, but according to some the touches were from Wigan players. I have not recorded the goal to freeze frame it.
                        I've watched it several times - there was only one misplaced touch from the Wigan player attempting to clear it.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          Set piece to me is when you have a plan or strategy that you execute ie corner flicked on at near post and finished far post
                          As in this?

https://youtu.be/-IUOn7esUI0

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiend View Post
                            I think the term 'set piece' is the problem here. You could say that all of our goals this season have come from dead-ball situations. Yesterday's goal would be counted as such as it resulted from the 'scramble play' that results after a ball is put into a dangerous area from a dead ball opportunity. The same can be said of Polter's goal at the end of the match vs Leeds.

It's somewhat (not overly) concerning that the only times we have created enough danger for the opposition that we score, is when there is a dead ball situation.
                            Except versus Swindon of course, twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                              Except versus Swindon of course, twice.
                              I did state in a previous post League goals, sorry I did not keep repeating that bit.

Unfortunately people are being pedantic about this point about QPRs reliance on set pieves or dead ball situations etc for their goal threat.
                              Last edited by stanistheman; 28-08-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

The game plan JFH is employing is all about scoring first as the Preston game showed we just have no creativity to open up teams. Our supposedly most creative player is Chery but how much has he created in open play so far?

Comment

Working...
                                X