Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what exactly is a set piece goal?

There are different views on it here.

Is it when the whole build up is a planned move?

What if it's unplanned, but a goal results?

How many moves are allowed in an unplanned set piece, that results in it being classed as a set piece goal?

Free kick, penalty, corner.

Comment

Any goal arriving as a direct result of a free kick, corner or throw in... Penalties don't come under it as a set piece is set to return the ball to open play, a penalty doesn't aim to get the ball into open play and cannot be defended against.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Set piece to me is when you have a plan or strategy that you execute ie corner flicked on at near post and finished far post

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          Any goal arriving as a direct result of a free kick, corner or throw in... Penalties don't come under it as a set piece is set to return the ball to open play, a penalty doesn't aim to get the ball into open play and cannot be defended against.
          Aside from the keeper who is defending the goal

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
            Aside from the keeper who is defending the goal
            Not an outfield player is he. The question you have to ask for a set piece is, can an outfield player stop it going in?
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

As soon as the 1st set piece takes place in the game, any goal after that is considered to have come from a set-piece as it may have been influenced by the taking of previous said set piece.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                So what is the maximum number of unintercepted moves that qualify a goal for a 'direct result'? Until the ball goes out, or backwards?
                Last edited by Olly; 28-08-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                  Free kick, penalty, corner.
                  I would have said this too......

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
                    So what is the maximum number of unintercepted moves that qualify a goal for a 'direct result'? Until the ball goes out, or backwards?
                    Exactly

Comment

For the purpose of precision, let's define a set-piece goal as one that results directly from a planned set-piece move. If there is a set-piece move that breaks down, but a goal results after that, it cannot be called a goal from a set-piece.

Comment

What if it's unplanned and a goal is scored? So who decides if it's planned or unplanned? Does someone have to be asked after the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
                          What if it's unplanned and a goal is scored? So who decides if it's planned or unplanned? Does someone have to be asked after the game?
                          The semantic pedantry on this board is something to behold! (Although, it does keep us honest). However, are you saying that it's possible that the plan from a set-piece isn't to score then? Surely it's inherent in the set-piece? No need to ask whether it was planned! Perhaps we should remove the word planned altogether, would that help?

Comment

Planned is when it's decided in advance that the ball will go to players A,B etc. If it's hoofed in it isn't planned.

Look at the goal, it's come off two Wigan players, first the header, then two other touches, there's no way in a million years that's a goal from a set piece. Nasser reads that whoscored.com give it as a set piece, and doesn't question it, I do. Question everything. Maybe their criteria is if it happens within 'x' amount of seconds of a set piece? Lazy judgement.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialQPR
                            Last edited by Olly; 28-08-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
                              I would have said this too......
                              So a team takes a free kick and the ball doesnt go out of play for five minutes and both teams have touched the ball untold times and then one of the players whos side who took the free kick earlier strikes it into the net, is that a set piece goal?

Comment

Working...
                              X