England-Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
    Iceland played poor football and their players didn't seem to be very talented. Wait 2-3 years and no-one will remember any Icelandic player.
    Iceland might be playing poor football in you opinion but they are in the last eight doing that and they have played better teams than England in the process if you use the fifa list for Europe
    England has played no 21 Russia, no 18 Wales, no 16 Slovakia and no 24 Iceland
    Iceland has played no 4 Portugal, no 13 Hungary, No 5 Austria and no 6 England
    NO team in EURO 16 has played so many highly ranked teams using the fifa list

Comment

Originally posted by hh9 View Post
      Iceland might be playing poor football in you opinion but they are in the last eight doing that and they have played better teams than England in the process if you use the fifa list for Europe
      England has played no 21 Russia, no 18 Wales, no 16 Slovakia and no 24 Iceland
      Iceland has played no 4 Portugal, no 13 Hungary, No 5 Austria and no 6 England
      NO team in EURO 16 has played so many highly ranked teams using the fifa list
      Don't get me wrong. As a team Iceland is in flow, but their individual players are not good at all. They dribble themselves in tight places, lose possession easily and all the time. It's no coincidence they are amateurs or does not get playing time in any better league. Soon they are forgotten as individual players, but maybe not as a team.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
        Tbh mate, expecting our national team to have enough to beat Iceland is not arrogant at all. Also, everybody I spoke to / media I heard was saying all along how they thought it would be a tough game, I, personally, didn't witness any arrogance at all on our part?
        Of course it is. Shouldn't expect to beat any team that qualify for the finals of a major tournament - especially from a tougher qualifying group than we had.

Comment

[QUOTE=Timmy the Doc;1542165]Don't get me wrong. As a team Iceland is in flow, but their individual players are not good at all. They dribble themselves in tight places, lose possession easily and all the time. It's no coincidence they are amateurs or does not get playing time in any better league. Soon they are forgotten as individual players, but maybe not as a team.[/QUOTE

The Iceland players knows that the team is no 1 and the individual can never be no 1 if you want to reach the teams full potential. The english team is, when it really counts, anxious and afraid of losing. Also theyre not as good as the best teams in Europe. England are as individuals and as a team average. The media is creating the hype, but they simply dont have enough ability. Lack of ability and negative effects of the hype from the media = The performance of the English national team at the Euros and at WC:s.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhoop View Post
            Swedish league ? My god we lost to some real #### tonight . Norway didn't qualify along with another posters Malta but Sweden were worse than England .always fancy themselves the but rarely deliver apart from the birds .

That's England if you exclude the words regarding the birds.

Comment

Iceland played poor football and their players didn't seem to be very talented. Wait 2-3 years and no-one will remember any Icelandic player.
              I disagree with you. I think all this Iceland team will be remembered for many and many years to come. Just look at the humiliation England suffered against the USA way back in the fifties and its still talked about when World Cup history is mentioned. This defeat was even worse! You mention talent, however, talent alone is not enough. You have to merge talent with ambition, fight, togetherness, discipline, never say never attitude until the final whistle. On this site we discussed at length Adel Taarabt. How talented he was etc etc. However he lacks the most important aspect of a winner.....all the credentials mentioned previously. England cannot play with names. N.I., Wales and the Republic do not have the big names England posses. However they graft, work harder, put in tackles, never give up. Did you watched any of these aspects in the England team? I say, play the second quality of English players and they will do better.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. As a team Iceland is in flow, but their individual players are not good at all. They dribble themselves in tight places, lose possession easily and all the time. It's no coincidence they are amateurs or does not get playing time in any better league. Soon they are forgotten as individual players, but maybe not as a team.

And what do you think football is about.....
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                  [/I][/B]

And what do you think football is about.....
                  To me it's entertainment. But Iceland play dull and boring football.

Comment

Bjarnason is entertaining to watch. Sigurdsson also..
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                      I am sorry to say that I can't remember a single player from the English team that played in EURO 2012 or did Green maybe play.
                      Maybe they did not qualify because i can't remember the TEAM

Comment

• England were s hite. Are total s hite. Have been since 1998. For some unfathomable reason. Nothing else needs to be said. Sad thing is no one cares. Pubs are empty when they play. No one wears that s hite Nike shirt. Simple s hite. Fair play to Iceland.

Comment

• Originally posted by hh9 View Post
                          I am sorry to say that I can't remember a single player from the English team that played in EURO 2012 or did Green maybe play.
                          Maybe they did not qualify because i can't remember the TEAM

England squad:

Goalkeepers - Joe Hart, Robert Green, John Ruddy.

Defenders - Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, John Terry.

Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.

Strikers - Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck.

Standby - Jack Butland, Phil Jagielka, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, Daniel Sturridge.

We lost to Italy on penalties in the quarter final. We seem to have gone backwards since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                            England were s hite. Are total s hite. Have been since 1998. For some unfathomable reason. Nothing else needs to be said. Sad thing is no one cares. Pubs are empty when they play. No one wears that s hite Nike shirt. Simple s hite. Fair play to Iceland.
                            100% agree with this bar the one game we beat Germany 5-1 in the 2000's

Comment

• Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                              England were s hite. Are total s hite. Have been since 1998. For some unfathomable reason. Nothing else needs to be said. Sad thing is no one cares. Pubs are empty when they play. No one wears that s hite Nike shirt. Simple s hite. Fair play to Iceland.
                              I think that just about sums it up......

Comment

• From Twitter
                                When I asked Bobby Charlton how the England team of 1966 would have fared against Iceland, he replied "we'd have one 1-0" --- 'Only 1-0' I said "Yeah' he said "Most of us are in our 70s now."

Comment

Working...
                                X