No announcement yet.

Top team in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were the top London team once.....what year was that?

Comment

Originally posted by bigray View Post
      We were the top London team once.....what year was that?
      1993 was the last time.

Comment

There's something quite fascinating arising out of Hubble's reminder of our last finish as top London club. I went to check on the size of the points gap between us and others but got sidetracked by the number of Clubs in the top flight then that have fallen from grace. (Not including Villa and Norwich who IMO are going down this year) the list of teams that finished below us that season included:
        Blackburn, Wednesday, Wimbledon, Sheff U, Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Oldham, Middlesboro and Forest.
        Now, ask yourself this, how many of those teams are in the EPL now, and how many times since they were relegated from it have they spent even a single year in it? The answer to both of course is a big fat zero.
        I'm not suggesting that it makes us lucky to have had two brief returns since relegation but perhaps it puts some perspective on our relative success compared to these even less fortunate souls?
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

I thought it was when Liverpool beat Wolves on the last day of the season to pip us for the title

Comment

Oops missed out that was the 1975/6 season

Comment

It would be great if we could end up above Brentford and on on top of that buy Alan Judge at the end of the season.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
                There's something quite fascinating arising out of Hubble's reminder of our last finish as top London club. I went to check on the size of the points gap between us and others but got sidetracked by the number of Clubs in the top flight then that have fallen from grace. (Not including Villa and Norwich who IMO are going down this year) the list of teams that finished below us that season included:
                Blackburn, Wednesday, Wimbledon, Sheff U, Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Oldham, Middlesboro and Forest.
                Now, ask yourself this, how many of those teams are in the EPL now, and how many times since they were relegated from it have they spent even a single year in it? The answer to both of course is a big fat zero.
                I'm not suggesting that it makes us lucky to have had two brief returns since relegation but perhaps it puts some perspective on our relative success compared to these even less fortunate souls?
                I noted that too, Blue. Fascinating to consider and of course you're right - it puts some much needed perspective on our league position and people's expectations.

Originally posted by bigray View Post
                I thought it was when Liverpool beat Wolves on the last day of the season to pip us for the title
                As far as I know, 1975/6 was the first time we ever finished as top team in London, Ray. 1993 the last. And of course the one man directly involved in both of those seasons was Gerry Francis.

Comment

Don't know if I dreamed it, but I'm sure I used to see a statement going around that we were the top London team of the 80's on average.

Comment

Working...
                  X