Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kit View Post
    Palace have 3 No 1s !
    One is an old man who's happy to be back up and McCarthy wants out!

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      I would say a lot of those keepers think they could do well as a first choice. Even look at Chelsea last season with Cech and Begovic, or a few years ago with Lloris and Friedel. Ospina played well last season and would probably think he shouldn't have been dropped, Begovic has been very good this year while Courtois has disappointed. Even outside England, look at Madrid with Navas and Kiko Casilla, Barcelona with Ter Stegen and Bravo, you didn't even mention half the clubs I listed there anyways, West Brom have Lindergaard and Foster who are both at the same level, Palace have 3 good keepers all at near enough the same level, Southampton have Stekelenburg and Forster, Watford now have Pantillimon and Gomes. Do you think any of them want to be second choice or even feel they deserve to be? Of course not.
      Yeah and who's the unquestionable number one at Madrid and Barcelona?

I didn't mention the rest because it was quite apparent to what I was saying. Regarding Southampton, do you think they'd have brought in Stekelenburg if Forster wasn't injured? The same at WBA, Myhill or Lindergaard will be gone in the summer and one will be back up to Foster. Why? Clear difference in ability. McCarthy wants out at Palace and Speroni is 36 years of age and settled so won't be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        I would say a lot of those keepers think they could do well as a first choice. Even look at Chelsea last season with Cech and Begovic, or a few years ago with Lloris and Friedel. Ospina played well last season and would probably think he shouldn't have been dropped, Begovic has been very good this year while Courtois has disappointed. Even outside England, look at Madrid with Navas and Kiko Casilla, Barcelona with Ter Stegen and Bravo, you didn't even mention half the clubs I listed there anyways, West Brom have Lindergaard and Foster who are both at the same level, Palace have 3 good keepers all at near enough the same level, Southampton have Stekelenburg and Forster, Watford now have Pantillimon and Gomes. Do you think any of them want to be second choice or even feel they deserve to be? Of course not.
        None of those teams are in the championship...we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr;1509215[B
          ]Give me some examples of two excellent keepers at the same club[/B] where both think they should be first choice?

First choice goalkeepers play 90% of the games. You have a number one, a back up keeper who accepts to be involved in cup games only until called upon when he's given a chance to impress and a youngster as a 3rd keeper.

You think having two goalkeepers who both want to play in the Premier League is a good situation? On the pitch I guess so but as a club, we'll be signing a new goalkeeper every 6 months.

Where should I start?

Just take a look at Watford & Palace for a start... Or even Derby at a Championship level. Come on, you dont honestly believe all number 2 keepers at any club are Sh1t?

To be fair QPR haven't been massively clever with keepers over the last 3/4 years, but we've always had fairly good keepers in the squad.

To answer your other question though; 1. Yes having two keepers is a very very VERY good idea. You have a squad of players, of which gives you depth to be able to make changes when players are not playing well or are not on form. e.g. We should have 3/4 good strikers just like you should have 2/3 good keepers. 2. All keepers should want to play, so thats a daft idea thinking any keeper would ever want to be number 2. But its thier job to take chances and get the number 1 spot like any other player in the squad.

Why on earth would you aspire as a club to have 2 keepers but the backup keep must be rubbish and not want to play???

Comment

If they rate this Ingram then go for him. Will probably be a cheap deal and we need Green off the books. Maybe Jimmy has seen enough of him to think he is a good prospect. Cant see the problem with it myself

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
              So Begovic is better than Courtios? Romero better than De Gea? Ospina better than Cech? Caballero better than Hart? Vorm better than Lloris? Need I go on or can you notice the theme? A clear difference in ability between first choice and second choice.
              But all of these number 2's are RUDDY good backups who could easily be our number 1 at QPR.

Currently Green is seen better than Smithies and therefore he is our number 2 goal keeper, Smithie has had a steup in career by moving to us and is getting his chance now. Its his job to take it.

Comment

This keeper from Wycombe may be quality, I'd certainly have him in the squad pushing Smithies instead of Green anyway who IMO is finished. Just feel GK is not the position we need to focus on right now as our fullback positions are absolutely dire. I think the resources should've been spent there first unless Ingram was cheap/a class act and the deal was too good to miss. Think Lumley could've done the job as backup at least till season end.... But hey ho, there may be full back signings in the pipeline and this kind Ingram might be top class so I'll wait and see on this one.

Comment

You need three keepers in a squad and you want them to be as good as possible.

Signing this lad could signal the end of Green's career at QPR. We would then have three keepers with plenty of potential.
                  Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Look at the keeper in the Championship. The only clubs who have two keepers who are of similar ability and both permanent signings are;

Derby, Reading and Charlton.

The rest have a clear number one in terms of appearances and ability.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post

Where should I start?

Just take a look at Watford & Palace for a start... Or even Derby at a Championship level. Come on, you dont honestly believe all number 2 keepers at any club are Sh1t?

To be fair QPR haven't been massively clever with keepers over the last 3/4 years, but we've always had fairly good keepers in the squad.

To answer your other question though; 1. Yes having two keepers is a very very VERY good idea. You have a squad of players, of which gives you depth to be able to make changes when players are not playing well or are not on form. e.g. We should have 3/4 good strikers just like you should have 2/3 good keepers. 2. All keepers should want to play, so thats a daft idea thinking any keeper would ever want to be number 2. But its thier job to take chances and get the number 1 spot like any other player in the squad.

Why on earth would you aspire as a club to have 2 keepers but the backup keep must be rubbish and not want to play???
                      Can you read?

Comment

The problem is though signing a goalkeeper who isn't 'happy' to be number two and until you find that, it's a merry go round.

We signed McCarthy for £2m, he got fed up. We signed Smithies for £2m, he was getting fed up. Now we're signing Ingram.

Put it this way, we'll be looking for another goalkeeper in the summer or January because Ingram or Smithies will want out.
                        As long as we have 2 decent keepers and we don't make a loss when one moves one after a year, what's the problem with that?

Comment

Can you read?
                          Classic Matty, showing your age here clearly. Getting personal? Why because your comments are not valid and I disagree with them. Not got anything to say back to my points so you get personal.

Bravo Matty, Bravo.

Scouting Report:

Please find a keeper who is not better than our current one and doesnt mind sitting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                            As long as we have 2 decent keepers and we don't make a loss when one moves one after a year, what's the problem with that?
                            The problem comes with stalling a players career. Would you want to join if the last three keepers they've signed have just sat there and got splinters for a year each?

It's a tough position, of course the club want to have the best players available, however it's not like a striker as someone just said. Do you think Ingram or Smithies will accept playing for the U21's for the next year? I guarantee one of them won't make 10 first team appearances by next January and will be moved on.

Then we'll do it all again....and again....

Comment

The problem comes with stalling a players career. Would you want to join if the last three keepers they've signed have just sat there and got splinters for a year each?

It's a tough position, of course the club want to have the best players available, however it's not like a striker as someone just said. Do you think Ingram or Smithies will accept playing for the U21's for the next year? I guarantee one of them won't make 10 first team appearances by next January and will be moved on.

What planet are you on, you have a squad of players. You have an injury to a keeper or the number 1 isnt playing well, then you have backup who is just as good who you feel will be decent between the sticks.

Just like you have 4 decent strikers..

Comment

Gotta break a couple of eggs to make an omelette mate.

End of the day, the club needs 2 decent keepers. In the grand scheme of things, being number 2 at QPR for a year and earning half decent dough for playing 5-10 games ain't gonna hurt Ingram massively, he's young enough. If he turns out to be a real find and dislodges Smithies from the first team then it's been a great move for him and Smithies moves to another Championship club in the summer or at some point next season!

Comment

Working...
                                X