Wrong Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Players?

I haven't exactly studied Burton, but Hasselbaink came with the reputation of coaching high energy sides who closed the opposition down fast when they didn't have the ball....and we did this for his first few of games, but no more. You wonder if the players have the fitness and/or inclination to play that way.

Hull were impressively fast last night and showed up what the current side is most lacking in - pace, which was our biggest problem in the Premiership last season, but we seem to have done little to fix that over the summer.

I suspect we're looking at another clearout before JFH gets players with the speed, attitude and stamina he needs to play the way he wants.

Chery was the only player trying to make things happen yesterday, Faurlin often had good chances to play a through ball but chose not to because it wasn't on his left foot

Comment

I agree that we have had a relatively pace-less squad for years. if this is JFH's style, and our need, why don't we start players we DO have that play that kind of game. No more Henry and Fer. The starting XI:

Smithies (Green era is over)
      Furlong
      Hall
      Onouha
      Yun
      Faurlin
      Luongo
      Phillips
      Mackie
      Hoilett
      Austin (JET if Austin lost)

Given our record and lackluster play this season, why not?

Comment

Against Brighton we attacked with pace once 2-0 down and should have gone onto win it. The difference then was Sandro and Austin both who looked best players on the pitch. Give Austin, Polters chances last night and we would have been 2 up in the first half hour and then the game is a different story.

Comment

With all fit would like to see something like

Smithies
          Perch Nedum Hall Konch
          Phillips Sandro Faurlin Hoilett
          Luongo
          Austin
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
            With all fit would like to see something like

Smithies
            Perch Nedum Hall Konch
            Phillips Sandro Faurlin Hoilett
            Luongo
            Austin
            Tried that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
              Tried that.
              Not under JFH we haven't. Plus, just because a starting 11 doesn't work in 1 game, doesn't mean it needs to be scrapped? Out of interest, when did we play that side?

That back 4 was brilliant under Warnock so we know that's tried & tested. Sandro and Faurlin looked very good in recent weeks when paired together, plus Phillips & Hoilett are playing well.

Fer has been $hit and I, personally, quite like Luongo and think he is a clever little player and would like to see him back in the side.

What's you preferred 11, fitness permitting?

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                Not under JFH we haven't. Plus, just because a starting 11 doesn't work in 1 game, doesn't mean it needs to be scrapped? Out of interest, when did we play that side?

That back 4 was brilliant under Warnock so we know that's tried & tested. Sandro and Faurlin looked very good in recent weeks when paired together, plus Phillips & Hoilett are playing well.

Fer has been $hit and I, personally, quite like Luongo and think he is a clever little player and would like to see him back in the side.

What's you preferred 11, fitness permitting?
                Am at a loss at the moment tbh, Matty. Think nothing will work unless Charlie plays. Luongo's played behind Charlie and didn't do much. I'd put him in a midfield two with Diakite and see what happens. I'd get shot of both FBs in the window. And try Jet in the hole. Smithies in, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                  Am at a loss at the moment tbh, Matty. Think nothing will work unless Charlie plays. Luongo's played behind Charlie and didn't do much. I'd put him in a midfield two with Diakite and see what happens. I'd get shot of both FBs in the window. And try Jet in the hole.
                  Share your frustrations pal, at the moment it seems like we could have Pep in charge with Messi behind Zlatan up top and we would somehow fark things up n the last minute of games. Doing my best to remain level headed & not make knee jerk comments but after games like yesterday it is difficult

Comment

Originally posted by AberdeenR View Post
                    Chery was the only player trying to make things happen yesterday, Faurlin often had good chances to play a through ball but chose not to because it wasn't on his left foot
                    Chery did Sweet fa in the game. Literally had maybe one or two nice touches in our half but could do nothing right in the oppositions. Luongo over him any day in that role.
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

All you need to do well in bottom half of prem and top half of the Championship is a lot of energy and organisation...... We have had neither for past 3 seasons.
                      Massive part of above is having the right players in their preferred/natural position. Everyone is currently raving about Ozil but when Wenger bunged him out a bit wider in previous games he looked lost, off-the-pace, disinterested and out of sorts. Similarly when Yaya Toure is asked to sit in front of defence; he looks jaded and ineffectual. In many cases, just asking a player to play 15 yds from their natural position can be disastrous.
                      We've got to give JFH time to assess the squad and work out who can play where and what we need to bring in or work on. Unfortunately, I do reckon we need a major overhaul so it won't be easy for him.

Comment

I'm not a chery fan, want to be but I'm not. Chery, Ale and Fer can all be dropped imo. Mad how we get a Henry Out thread when he gives his all and is probably our hardest working and most fittest player who never gets injured either,
                        Last edited by Kevin Mcleod; 02-01-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Agree about Chery Kev, I'm still to be won over personally.

Comment

I just think the strategy is not really committed or clear one way or another.

We're running down the road with our pants down and some alight toilet paper hanging from our arris'.

Ergo, the players don't have clear direction. And most football players need that given the average IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
                              I just think the strategy is not really committed or clear one way or another.

We're running down the road with our pants down and some alight toilet paper hanging from our arris'.

Ergo, the players don't have clear direction. And most football players need that given the average IQ.
                              The most successful managers have a clear idea of strategy that they stick to whatever and can communicate to players. They then recruit to that strategy. Wenger does and Ferguson consistently did that.

Comment

Working...
                              X