Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets see statto man nasser spin a positive slant on that ####.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    Actually, you're only looking at one stat. If you check out whoscored.com, it tells you where the pass was made, which direction it was played in, whether they had a clear cut opportunity and whether they took it. It does get tiring having to explain that stats like Pass success are not the be all and end all of stats and there are thousands of statistical breakdowns that could be used. Frankly, I feel like I'd be wasting my energy trying to explain it to you because you just want to totally ignore them but it amazes me how wrong someone can be about a subject.
    The point he is making is that there is always an element of subjectivity when interpreting stats. In that you can choose and discard whatever stat you want to back up a point you want to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
      The point he is making is that there is always an element of subjectivity when interpreting stats. In that you can choose and discard whatever stat you want to back up a point you want to make.
      And you can do the same with sight and what you see. You can go and point out one incident without taking into account another and there you have it, you're point is validated in your own mind. But the difference with stats is that if you look deep enough, there is no hiding. Everything is there if you look for it.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Nasser, far be it for me to tell you what to post and not post about. However, I think it might be better to simply ignore those who have a dig for the sake of it. Seems to me that the issue of stats is one which yourself and certain others are never going to agree on. Post the stats by all means, but don't allow others to draw you into arguments.

Reading the exchanges is becoming very similar to watching a Jeremy Kyle show.

(I should point out that I have only ever seen snippets. Honestly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
          Even I've given up now. What I saw tonight was simply indefensible. Losing to a club like Brentford is one of the lowest moments I've experienced as a QPR fan.
          It wasn't just the loss ginge, it was the not seeming to give a damn way we lost. All that rubbish about how much they are up for it after the debacle at Fulham. More rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
            Give the guy a break. He loves the club as much as us
            This.

Comment

So wrong calling out a proper supporter out who loves rangers and tries to always be positive.

Comment

we move on, learn from the mistakes of this match and try not to make them in the next one.
                How many times have we been spoon-fed and patronised with that banality; and where is the evidence and stats that the team has done any of those things under Ramsey's tenure?

Comment

and it's all Nas's fault we lost.

Embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    How many times have we been spoon-fed and patronised with that banality; and where is the evidence and stats that the team has done any of those things under Ramsey's tenure?
                    Its not spoon feeding or banality, its the basics of management. You have to try and learn from your mistakes one game and avoid making them the next. Currently, my main source is down so I can't get the stats up but there will be some stats to highlight that we have done this, but one off the top of my head is change in the defensive performances meaning we are more solid at the back these days.
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Its not spoon feeding or banality, its the basics of management. You have to try and learn from your mistakes one game and avoid making them the next. Currently, my main source is down so I can't get the stats up but there will be some stats to highlight that we have done this, but one off the top of my head is change in the defensive performances meaning we are more solid at the back these days.
                      Don't bother mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
                        Don't bother mate.
                        Actually I probably will, when someone asks something, I tend to answer fully. Now, just because you have an irrational fear of numbers, doesn't mean I will stop posting them, because I certainly will not, and I assume you won't stop criticising their existence without knowing much about them.

Comment

Actually I probably will, when someone asks something, I tend to answer fully.
                          It was a rhetorical question as you probably guessed but I do actually look forward to some evidence.

Comment

Actually I probably will, when someone asks something, I tend to answer fully. Now, just because you have an irrational fear of numbers, doesn't mean I will stop posting them, because I certainly will not, and I assume you won't stop criticising their existence without knowing much about them.
                            delusional

Comment

You have to try and learn from your mistakes one game and avoid making them the next..
                              Something which I feel Ramsey has consistently failed to do.

It is a fact - and arguably a stat ;) - that we appointed a manager to an EPL side with no significant management experience. We compounded this error by appointing Les to quasi management role: again an individual with absolutely no prior experience in the role to which he was appointed. Colin was then added to this strange mix, an admission of the inadequacy of the dream team. The point is that being angry with Ramsey is missing the point. The rage should be directed against the people who keeping making the wrong executive decisions, and in the end the buck stops with TF.

On stats in general it's interesting that both teams in the RWC final, the top two in the world, have both moved away from what was seen as an over reliance on stats and video analysis. You have to play what is in front of you, and not stick too rigidly to a game plan based on analysis, because the best players are unpredictable by default.
                              You have to encourage thinking outside the box, and you have to be prepared to give everything for each other. This philosophy goes beyond rugby, but sadly doesn't seem to have percolated down to our lot.

Stats are useful, but subject to individual interpretation. Wanting to win for the shirt on the other hand is an attitude not open to any ambiguities. We haven't seen enough of that, and if we had there would be less frustration - even if the results was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                                Something which I feel Ramsey has consistently failed to do.

It is a fact - and arguably a stat ;) - that we appointed a manager to an EPL side with no significant management experience. We compounded this error by appointing Les to quasi management role: again an individual with absolutely no prior experience in the role to which he was appointed. Colin was then added to this strange mix, an admission of the inadequacy of the dream team. The point is that being angry with Ramsey is missing the point. The rage should be directed against the people who keeping making the wrong executive decisions, and in the end the buck stops with TF.

On stats in general it's interesting that both teams in the RWC final, the top two in the world, have both moved away from what was seen as an over reliance on stats and video analysis. You have to play what is in front of you, and not stick too rigidly to a game plan based on analysis, because the best players are unpredictable by default.
                                You have to encourage thinking outside the box, and you have to be prepared to give everything for each other. This philosophy goes beyond rugby, but sadly doesn't seem to have percolated down to our lot.

Stats are useful, but subject to individual interpretation. Wanting to win for the shirt on the other hand is an attitude not open to any ambiguities. We haven't seen enough of that, and if we had there would be less frustration - even if the results was the same.
                                Excellent post.

Comment

Working...
                                X