Last nights game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last nights game

My thoughts - First away game for a while and please take in to account Yeovil were shocking.

A few stand out performances for me.

Hall - very composed, good on the ball and air and worked well with ned. Would love to see him start at the weekend over hill.

Kepewka - imo is good enough to start at lb now and should be in front of konchesky. Again very composed and mature performance for his age and could tell he was doing it all in first gear. We have a player there.

Golbern - very comfortable on the ball and looked assured.better than Henry and again would like to see him against better quality.

Polter - thought he worked his socks of and holds the ball up very well. Think he could be a really good player but we need to give him time.its important we ha e another striker as this season I think he will only get 10-12 goals. Was my man of the match for endeavour though.

My worries -

JET - yes he scored but he's a lump and imo didn't do to much to stand out against a poor Yeovil team.

Perch - looks nervous and weak on the ball.

Phillips - to me especially first half does not look to interested.

As for the game qpr done ok against a poor team. We retained the ball very well but a lot of possession in our half.
    Yes we scored 3 but we lacked creativity and our first shot in anger wasn't really until 75th minute from jet.
    Would like to see one of our wingers running with the ball more.

Some good performances but a lot still to improve. Professional performance.

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
    My thoughts - First away game for a while and please take in to account Yeovil were shocking.

Hall - very composed, good on the ball and air and worked well with ned. Would love to see him start at the weekend over hill.

Kepewka - imo is good enough to start at lb now and should be in front of konchesky. Again very composed and mature performance for his age and could tell he was doing it all in first gear. We have a player there.

Golbern - very comfortable on the ball and looked assured.better than Henry and again would like to see him against better quality.

Polter - thought he worked his socks of and holds the ball up very well. Think he could be a really good player but we need to give him time.its important we ha e another striker as this season I think he will only get 10-12 goals. Was my man of the match for endeavour though.

My worries -

JET - yes he scored but he's a lump and imo didn't do to much to stand out against a poor Yeovil team.

As for the game qpr done ok against a poor team. We retained the ball very well but a lot of possession in our half.
    Yes we scored 3 but we lacked creativity and our first shot in anger wasn't really until 75th minute from jet.

Agreed that Yeovil we're absolutely pony. Felt like at times it was a reserve match/friendly. Not a lot of quality on show from both sides and thats a concern for me considering a lot of our team will be vying for a first team spot at the weekend.

Kpwekwa for me was the only real stand out performer in both halves. Like you said, it didnt feel like he (or most of the team for that matter) got out of first gear. Very assured and comfortable at the back and is certainly worth a go ahead of on loan Konchesky in the future. Did brilliantly to set up JET's goal. I maybe wouldnt risk him against Cardiff but only because we need a win and against better, more experienced wingers he might not look so comfortable.

I didnt really notice Hall...but thats a good thing I guess. Can't really judge any of the defenders based on tonight as they all had so little to do.

Hate to say it but the more I see of Doughty the more I don't think he's up to it. He tried, but maybe a little too hard at times and was quite sloppy and wayward with his passing. Against Championship opposition we may have been punished.

Gobern played it safe and didnt really do much wrong. His shooting needs A LOT of work though!

Phillips to me again didnt look interested. There were times in the 2nd half where I was begging for him to beat his man and whip in a cross but he kept checking back and playing a simple pass. Maybe he's not fully up and running yet but 1 things for sure, if he's saving himself for a Prem move he needs to re-adjust his attitude. If there were any Prem scouts there last night they wouldnt have been impressed!!

Polter worked his nuts off first half and showed great strength for his goal. He's quick for a big man and definately puts himself about. He'll become a fan favourite you mark my words. Faded second half but i'll but that down to fitness.

JET...I'm undecided. He got a goal and showed glimpses of what he's capable of. I can see why he has mostly been used as an impact sub rather than a starter throughout his career. At times It felt like he took too long on the ball which in fairness is probably the case because he knows he'll very rarely get knocked off it.

Gladwyn definately wasnt fit. I'll leave it at that and wont knock him.

Tyler Blackwood when he came on looked lively. He's like a wasp and like Polter is in the same mould of Jamie Mackie. Could be a useful impact sub as he never gives anybody a moments rest and chases down everything. He's not a winger/midfielder though. Gave the ball away on a couple of occasions, 1 time in particular lead to a shot on goal forcing Greeno to pull off a great save. You could see Greeno wasn't best pleased with Tyler afterwards.

Hoilett is fast becoming the new SWP. I'm not sure what it will take for him to find some form. Maybe he'd fair better in the number 10 role? TBH I think he's times up and can see him going to the MLS once his contract expires with us. Thats probably his level.

Overall...I mean, we won so yay. Was It an impressive performence? Not really. Did it give me hope for the season? Not really...

Yeovil we're that bad that a better team would have spanked them 4/5/6 nil.

Comment

My worries -

firstly Maids, fair play for making the trek from your neck of the woods. I think your analysis is spot on. With respect, I think you are being a bit harsh on JET. This man is what he is, you won't see him running around like a blue arsed fly for 90 minutes. What you see is what you get. A big unit, with a touch of class, who will open up defences and score some crackers too
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by EssexR View Post
        Agreed that Yeovil we're absolutely pony. Felt like at times it was a reserve match/friendly. Not a lot of quality on show from both sides and thats a concern for me considering a lot of our team will be vying for a first team spot at the weekend.

Kpwekwa for me was the only real stand out performer in both halves. Like you said, it didnt feel like he (or most of the team for that matter) got out of first gear. Very assured and comfortable at the back and is certainly worth a go ahead of on loan Konchesky in the future. Did brilliantly to set up JET's goal. I maybe wouldnt risk him against Cardiff but only because we need a win and against better, more experienced wingers he might not look so comfortable.

I didnt really notice Hall...but thats a good thing I guess. Can't really judge any of the defenders based on tonight as they all had so little to do.

Hate to say it but the more I see of Doughty the more I don't think he's up to it. He tried, but maybe a little too hard at times and was quite sloppy and wayward with his passing. Against Championship opposition we may have been punished.

Gobern played it safe and didnt really do much wrong. His shooting needs A LOT of work though!

Phillips to me again didnt look interested. There were times in the 2nd half where I was begging for him to beat his man and whip in a cross but he kept checking back and playing a simple pass. Maybe he's not fully up and running yet but 1 things for sure, if he's saving himself for a Prem move he needs to re-adjust his attitude. If there were any Prem scouts there last night they wouldnt have been impressed!!

Polter worked his nuts off first half and showed great strength for his goal. He's quick for a big man and definately puts himself about. He'll become a fan favourite you mark my words. Faded second half but i'll but that down to fitness.

JET...I'm undecided. He got a goal and showed glimpses of what he's capable of. I can see why he has mostly been used as an impact sub rather than a starter throughout his career. At times It felt like he took too long on the ball which in fairness is probably the case because he knows he'll very rarely get knocked off it.

Gladwyn definately wasnt fit. I'll leave it at that and wont knock him.

Tyler Blackwood when he came on looked lively. He's like a wasp and like Polter is in the same mould of Jamie Mackie. Could be a useful impact sub as he never gives anybody a moments rest and chases down everything. He's not a winger/midfielder though. Gave the ball away on a couple of occasions, 1 time in particular lead to a shot on goal forcing Greeno to pull off a great save. You could see Greeno wasn't best pleased with Tyler afterwards.

Hoilett is fast becoming the new SWP. I'm not sure what it will take for him to find some form. Maybe he'd fair better in the number 10 role? TBH I think he's times up and can see him going to the MLS once his contract expires with us. Thats probably his level.

Overall...I mean, we won so yay. Was It an impressive performence? Not really. Did it give me hope for the season? Not really...

Yeovil we're that bad that a better team would have spanked them 4/5/6 nil.
        I must have been watching the same game, although I would add that Doughty worked extremely hard making himself available for the ball when being played out of the back four. This was let down by his delivery often cut out by Yeovil, there again partly excused by the poor showing for the ball or runs by the players in front of him.
        Populus fui meus nomen , tamen meus nomen est non meus nomen

Comment

Thought after the first goal Yeovil decided it was damage limitation exercise, they barely even got forward.

JET looked good to me, agree he's a lump and his fitness needs work but he's got lovely feet and no-ones gonna get the ball off him. Thought Doughty impressed more than Gobern, though both did ok. Philips IS NOT A LEFT WINGER!! he flies down that side beating his man for pace then has to check inside COS HE HAS NO LEFT FOOT!! Stick the bloke on the righ and let him skin his man and get the crosses in FFS! Polter gave Austin a lesson in Target man performance, should start sat. Kpekawa class, Gladwin unfit and Hall assured.

Comment

I agree with you about Doughty - I've seen a couple of negative comments about him since last night, amazing how different people seem to see completely different things in a player.

Comment

Wouldn't have known Phillips was on the pitch if his name hadn't been read out. I wasn't as impressed with the German as some. But miles better up frint by himself that someone worth £15 M... Hall looked assured. Saturday is a big test.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                firstly Maids, fair play for making the trek from your neck of the woods. I think your analysis is spot on. With respect, I think you are being a bit harsh on JET. This man is what he is, you won't see him running around like a blue arsed fly for 90 minutes. What you see is what you get. A big unit, with a touch of class, who will open up defences and score some crackers too
                My names a little misleading now Lyme as recently relocated to torquay so wasn't the worst trip to make by anyea s.

I know what your saying about jet and he does have skill it's obvious to see. Just want to see him use his ability more. Whether he's the type of player to get up for a game at Yeovil I do t know.

Was a comfortably performance last night with out ever being in danger. Personally I worry a little about creativity atm and penetration in the final third.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                  My names a little misleading now Lyme as recently relocated to torquay so wasn't the worst trip to make by anyea s.

I know what your saying about jet and he does have skill it's obvious to see. Just want to see him use his ability more. Whether he's the type of player to get up for a game at Yeovil I do t know.

Was a comfortably performance last night with out ever being in danger. Personally I worry a little about creativity atm and penetration in the final third.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                    Wouldn't have known Phillips was on the pitch if his name hadn't been read out..
                    Ten million of your English pounds please. Thank you.

Comment

Loved Polter tracking back to left back in the 91st minute to try and win the ball last night.

Quite like this guy! Shame about the hair!

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                        Wouldn't have known Phillips was on the pitch if his name hadn't been read out. I wasn't as impressed with the German as some. But miles better up frint by himself that someone worth £15 M... Hall looked assured. Saturday is a big test.
                        I think the problem for Phillips was playing on the left, never gonna shine on that side.

Comment

I would say with Luongo, Faurlin, Chery and Austin not playing last night and Philips on the left should probably quell your worries for the time being. We were workmanlike last night, but that was the nature of the team selected.

Comment

Cheers maids, I watched on the stream and I agree with most of what you said. I didn't reckon much on Gobern maybe he's just one of those players that play it simple. Can't get my head around why I don't rate Doughty, just something about him that doesn't seem right. Also Polter looked much better and very strong but I agree we also need another striker as relying on him would be a mistake.

Comment

Kpekewa was very solid; deft move set up first cross/goal; deserves Cardiff start -- Gobern not up to this class yet; Doughty sparks of promise, needs more work; Blackwood a real spark we shouldn't overlook for lack of age -- Polter a workhorse, JET more of the show horse -- players missing for me yesterday: Greco-Cox (speed and aggressiveness a la Mackie, and Furlong (let's see what else we've got to work with at RB

Comment

Working...
                              X