Just met QPR's "first ever black schoolboy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just met QPR's "first ever black schoolboy"

Wearing my QPR top in Dublin and a guy just stopped me on the street for a massive chat and was telling me how he was "the first ever black schoolboy to sign for QPR" and was released in 1983 shortly before we won the 1st Division, had some great stories and was unbelievably knowledgable! Think he said his surname was George. Thought it was worth sharing!
    "Imagine a relationship that went wrong but you held on in there for years: that's what it is like supporting a football team. Your loyalty to a team can never die. Ties are stronger than they could ever be with a woman. If she goes and sleeps with your best mate, it's over. If the Rs' boss, Ian Holloway, slept with my best mate, QPR would still be my team. Even if many of the things that you loved about going to matches have gone - terraces, team shirts without sponsors and being able to smoke at grounds - you still stick with your team." - Peter Doherty.

Finidi George?

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
      Finidi George?
      Just looked him up.

And I very much doubt it.

Comment

I'm sure we had a black reserve keeper in the 70's but don't know if he worked his way from schoolboy terms or if we signed him, think he was called Richard cunningham as I seem to remember the happy days character had the same name

Comment

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post
          I'm sure we had a black reserve keeper in the 70's but don't know if he worked his way from schoolboy terms or if we signed him, think he was called Richard cunningham as I seem to remember the happy days character had the same name
          Derek Richardson, poor bloke came in to replace Phil Parkes. No chance. Think the guy you are thinking of quit football and made his name in Happy Days
          Last edited by lymehoop; 09-07-2015, 04:13 PM.
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Derek Richardson was the worst keeper we have ever had by a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
              Just looked him up.

And I very much doubt it.
              Worth a try Brights

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                Derek Richardson was the worst keeper we have ever had by a long way.
                Yeah came from Chelsea , looked a blinder while understudy to Parks and was a reason we decided to sell Parks but as soon as he got to be 1st choice became complete crap

Comment

He didn't need Cossack hairspray either from what I recall.

Comment

I'd question him being our first, late 60's Ade Coker was a name everyone was talking about. Went to Henry Compton and played for the Hammers. Surprised if it took another 15 years before we got our first black player, considering our location
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

He sounds like half a billy.you give him much dough ?
                      "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                      London Pride is a flower that's free.
                      London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                      And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Haha, he never signed pro by his own admission!! Interesting chap though
                        "Imagine a relationship that went wrong but you held on in there for years: that's what it is like supporting a football team. Your loyalty to a team can never die. Ties are stronger than they could ever be with a woman. If she goes and sleeps with your best mate, it's over. If the Rs' boss, Ian Holloway, slept with my best mate, QPR would still be my team. Even if many of the things that you loved about going to matches have gone - terraces, team shirts without sponsors and being able to smoke at grounds - you still stick with your team." - Peter Doherty.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                          Derek Richardson, poor bloke came in to replace Phil Parkes. No chance. Think the guy you are thinking of quit football and made his name in Happy Days
                          Saturday night 6pm after the game, the fonz, heeeeey

Comment

Originally posted by ConorM1882 View Post
                            Wearing my QPR top in Dublin and a guy just stopped me on the street for a massive chat and was telling me how he was "the first ever black schoolboy to sign for QPR" and was released in 1983 shortly before we won the 1st Division, had some great stories and was unbelievably knowledgable! Think he said his surname was George. Thought it was worth sharing!
                            83, ask him if he knew Andy Waddock

Comment

Working...
                            X