The Austin Auction begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
    Really? Ings had pretty much the same opportunity last season at Burnley that Charlie had with us and pretty much any way you care to look at it, Charlie was better - in particular, where it counts for a striker: goals scored.

If Ings is better than Charlie he has yet to prove it.
    Ings is in the Under-21's and therefore on Roy's radar. He's also just moved to a top 4-6 club which is my point. Unless Austin goes to one of the top 6 clubs, he aint going to get in the England team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
      100% agents. That's their job in fairness.
      100% agents?

let's recap...

- the club has said that it will sell the two-times fans player of the year/players player of the year/junior fans player of the year if the right offer comes along.
      - the club hasn't said austin is not for sale at any price
      - some teams seem to interested in austin, but not at the price that the club is asking
      - someone is regularly going to the press claiming that the player is in great demand (even when these stories seem a bit far fetched... does anyone honestly think that c*****a or liverpool are actually interested?), even though the clubs mentioned are routinely claiming that they're not that bothered.
      - at the same time, the club appears to be undergoing a large-scale restructuring with all large earners being let go at the end of their contracts and incoming players appearing to be lower-paid players.

i don't know that it is the club trying to spark an auction, but it seems to me that the club is more looking for a period of medium-term stability in the championship than a quick-fix bounce-back promotion chase (although if we do somehow end up in the promotion chase, then we end up in the promotion chase). with that in mind (and remembering how much cash they've flushed down the toilet for the club), is it so impossible that the board might want to cash in on austin almost as much as austin wants to play in the premiership?

Comment

Originally posted by klonk View Post
        100% agents?

let's recap...

- the club has said that it will sell the two-times fans player of the year/players player of the year/junior fans player of the year if the right offer comes along.
        - the club hasn't said austin is not for sale at any price
        - some teams seem to interested in austin, but not at the price that the club is asking
        - someone is regularly going to the press claiming that the player is in great demand (even when these stories seem a bit far fetched... does anyone honestly think that c*****a or liverpool are actually interested?), even though the clubs mentioned are routinely claiming that they're not that bothered.
        - at the same time, the club appears to be undergoing a large-scale restructuring with all large earners being let go at the end of their contracts and incoming players appearing to be lower-paid players.

i don't know that it is the club trying to spark an auction, but it seems to me that the club is more looking for a period of medium-term stability in the championship than a quick-fix bounce-back promotion chase (although if we do somehow end up in the promotion chase, then we end up in the promotion chase). with that in mind (and remembering how much cash they've flushed down the toilet for the club), is it so impossible that the board might want to cash in on austin almost as much as austin wants to play in the premiership?
        Refreshing to read a post by a fan not looking through blue and white tinted spectacles. Exactly my reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Bakholt View Post
          Stainrod, I remember "I am the ****** man Johnny Spencer well, the last time since Les and before Charlie that I felt we were going to score in every game he started, shame he lost interest in his second season, I still remember that perfect hat-trick against Barnsley when he scored from an impossible angle and a Barnsley fan had his arms out as in you'll never score from there, moments later he had his head in his hands, brilliant!!!
          I'm not saying we'll get 20m for Charlie, just that anything less I'd rather lose him for nothing as we wouldn't be able to get anyone half as good for 10-15m, thus increasing our chances of promotion.
          Great memories with Johnny Spencer, agreed there. I just don't think the club is looking to buy a like for like replacement. Think club's agenda is ask 15m, prob settle for 12 or maybe 10 with some add ons, then spend a couple of million on a lower league striker. Our days of writing big cheques are over for now at least imho.

Comment

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/We...ail/story.html

West Ham "not interested".

Comment

All these clubs that need a goal scorer not being interested.......haha

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                All these clubs that need a goal scorer not being interested.......haha
                It's a total nonsense isn't it. Of course they all need a goalscorer, and Charlie is proven in the PL now.

All of this is just cat and mouse kidology to see who will make the first move.

Comment

10m + Long?

Comment

According to Darmesh Sheth on SSN there's apparently been no official offers or even any official enquiries for Austin yet!

Comment

• Tbf darmesh sheth is about as useful as the dalai lama on transfer rumours

Comment

• Almost every top/mid prem team play with the lone striker as do England. Charlie (imo) from all the games I've seen doesn't suit this role. Think thats why no firm interest as yet

Comment

• Imagine how soul destroying it would be for him if nobody made a single offer, poor so d.

Comment

• Newcastle now table £14m bid say The Express: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...ea-Southampton

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                              Imagine how soul destroying it would be for him if nobody made a single offer, poor so d.
                              Well I know 1 club that defo wants him. He could easily be a club legend one day and he gets to stay in London. All he has to do is sign a new contract and all that can be achieved

Comment

• Liverpool pay £29m for Firmino from Hoffenheim. Apparently he has scored 47 goals in 151 appearances - one goal every 3.2 matches.
                                http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33250535

And Charlie, who scored 18 goals in 35 matches in the Premier League last season - one goal every 1.95 matches (which is 64% better in case you were wondering) - isn't worth half that? You must be joking.
                                'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Working...
                                X