The Austin Auction begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
    Tbf Stains, the majority of the teams properly linked with Austin don't spend that sort of money on 1 player, especially when you include his wages as a package. He was never going to go to a top 6 team as he's not ready yet and so the ones who were realistically interested in him were priced out. Lets hope this is a masterstroke on our behalf and this gamble is cashed in with us achieving promotion
    Fair comment, and agree the big clubs weren't interested. If they were, he would have gone.

Certainly don't think Felt's view should be dismissed out of hand. We fans always think of the uplift, never the pitfalls. IF we go up keeping Austin seems like a master stroke - probably even if he walks for free in May - but fail and it will look like a mistake, on a par with wasting the 6m we got for Les all those years ago when £6m was still a lot of money in football. We will be there at the end of the season with the money running out, probably a small transfer budget, no decent striker and thinking "what could we do with £15m now." Hopefully that won't happen and I personally think it is a risk worth taking but that is the risk the owners - if not all the fans - will have weighed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
      Fair comment, and agree the big clubs weren't interested. If they were, he would have gone.

Certainly don't think Felt's view should be dismissed out of hand. We fans always think of the uplift, never the pitfalls. IF we go up keeping Austin seems like a master stroke - probably even if he walks for free in May - but fail and it will look like a mistake, on a par with wasting the 6m we got for Les all those years ago when £6m was still a lot of money in football. We will be there at the end of the season with the money running out, probably a small transfer budget, no decent striker and thinking "what could we do with £15m now." Hopefully that won't happen and I personally think it is a risk worth taking but that is the risk the owners - if not all the fans - will have weighed up.
      Now how much did we pay Burnley for Austin?
      There are more players similar to him out there - just think of Chery

Comment

• I've been mulling this over and didn't post immediately, almost like a built in bull sheet filter but....

Do you think that Charlie saw the reception and adoration that Sir Stanley Bowles received at Loftus Road during the Rotherham game and realised that he too could become such a Rangers legend? I wonder if that was another factor in his (or what may have been 'his') decision to stay with us?
        2011-2013, 2 seasons in the Premiership, 76 games, 14 wins........two years of my life I'll never get back!!

2013/2014 mediocrity topped off with a win at Wembley....

2014/2015 was pretty much the same as 2011-2013.....

2015/2016, average at best.....

2016/2017, same old, same old....

2017/2018, aim low, avoid disappointment!

Its the hope that kills you!

Comment

• Charlie and Pete Doherty are the guests on Soccer Am saturday morning. Unmissable springs to mind..

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
            Charlie and Pete Doherty are the guests on Soccer Am saturday morning. Unmissable springs to mind..
            Cheers kev, have just set it to record
            You Rsssssss

Comment

• Originally posted by Harryboy View Post
              Cheers kev, have just set it to record
              and me...ain't bothered with this show for yrs..thanks Kev

Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                A lot better now with Fenners presenting. Although now he is on soccer am, that #### Rushden has made the Fantasy football show awful!
                @chrisrobson9

Comment

• Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                  Now the dust has settled am puzzled why being in the last year of the contract would stop clubs bidding 15m.
                  So that he can extend his contract with us, containing a release clause stating that if a club he's happy with make a bid which matches our valuation then he can be sold. That way we can still get a fee for him and he's repaid us for putting him on the map?

Comment

• Think people are pi$$ing in the wind if they expect him to sign a long term contract now.

He could have "done a berahino" are put in a transfer request, but he was and has been good as gold to us ever since he joined. If he wants to leave at the end of the season then good luck to him. Only way we would have a chance is if we go straight back up.

dont think it is going to help by people banging on about a contract at this stage.

Comment

• have to agree with ramsey sadly. he has been offered contract extensions, even when we were in the prem, and has turned them down. he is clearly running down his contract. why would he sign a new contract and deny himself a multi-million pound signing on fee? Even if he does re-sign, he will be entitled to a signing on fee as he would with any club.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                          same as

Comment

• Todays Dave Mc click bait made up story is that Chaz is only on 20k a week and wants a double his money wage increase to match Fer and Sandro and Green and he will sign a new three year deal.

Comment

Todays Dave Mc click bait made up story is that Chaz is only on 20k a week and wants a double his money wage increase to match Fer and Sandro and Green and he will sign a new three year deal.
                              The 20k is more then realistic imo, he came from Burnley where was probably on about 5k at most and we signed him when we were in the Champ and going through the whole "we've learnt" phase

Comment

Todays Dave Mc click bait made up story is that Chaz is only on 20k a week and wants a double his money wage increase to match Fer and Sandro and Green and he will sign a new three year deal.
                                Forget the new philosophy IMO, Charlie is a luxury player or in America would be called a franchise player where teams will pay these players more than the general wage they pay most players. No brainer for me, he is certainly worth it and if it gets us around £15 mill next summer or even promotion then it is worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X