No announcement yet.

Worst place you have visited following QPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of neighbourhoods/localities it's gotta be trip to Liverpool mid-80s. In fairness you have keep in mind the context.... Government dismantling the North, lunatic militant local council, strikes left, right and centre including binmen, grave diggers etc but even so, the trip on transit buses from Edge Hill train station (about 2 miles?) to Anfield was unmitigated squalor, decay, litter, dereliction and a high proportion of people who frankly looked ill. Given the shocking state of the areas we were bussed through it makes you wonder what state their REALLY run down areas like Granby and Toxteth were like......

Comment

Burnden park
      plough lane
      old stamford bridge
      Fratton park
      the dell

Comment

Luton ... end of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
          Luton ... end of discussion.
          overall its been the worst for me.
          PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

yovil for me.
            nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by geejaybee View Post
              Plough Lane Wimbledon.My tickets were for Row E which I thought would be near the front but were in fact at the back,the seats being planks of wood balancing on rickety brick piers and some of the fans were unfortunately taking the p*ss out of one of the linesmen who had a withered arm.
              lmfao i may have been one of them gee, i vaguely remember the "he's only got one arm chant. not very pc in todays enviorment mind lol
              nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                In terms of neighbourhoods/localities it's gotta be trip to Liverpool mid-80s. In fairness you have keep in mind the context.... Government dismantling the North, lunatic militant local council, strikes left, right and centre including binmen, grave diggers etc but even so, the trip on transit buses from Edge Hill train station (about 2 miles?) to Anfield was unmitigated squalor, decay, litter, dereliction and a high proportion of people who frankly looked ill. Given the shocking state of the areas we were bussed through it makes you wonder what state their REALLY run down areas like Granby and Toxteth were like......
                I lived on the edge of Toxteth and Sefton Park in 1980, was at uni there. It was like being in a 3rd world country. You could walk past terraced street after terraced street without a SINGLE car parked in them. No one had any money. Coming from West London it was a real eye-opener. I will always remember the graffiti on the wall as my train pulled into Lime Street for the first time, in massive letters, it said: COCKNEYS WILL DIE. It's the first and last time I've experienced genuine prejudice. People wouldn't serve me in pubs because of my accent and half the punters wanted to fight me. First time I went shopping in Tescos (in Toxteth) the checkout girl looked at my basket and said ' 'ow much 'ave yer got love?'. I suppose I had about a tenners worth of food and booze. 'How about 5 quid?' I said. 'That's perfect,' she said. At the bus stop mini cab drivers would tout for fares, loading up as many people they could fit in and charged you 50p. One time the queue at my local bus stop consisted of Pete Burns (then of Dead or Alive), his wife and the drummer from Echo and the Bunnymen. Despite the poverty and the stick, I had a laugh up there, but it was always a relief to return to London. The first thing I'd notice was the cars. Cars everywhere, Porsches, Beemers, Mercs, Range Rovers, double parked - so much affluence, the contrast was extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                  I lived on the edge of Toxteth and Sefton Park in 1980, was at uni there. It was like being in a 3rd world country. You could walk past terraced street after terraced street without a SINGLE car parked in them. No one had any money. Coming from West London it was a real eye-opener. I will always remember the graffiti on the wall as my train pulled into Lime Street for the first time, in massive letters, it said: COCKNEYS WILL DIE. It's the first and last time I've experienced genuine prejudice. People wouldn't serve me in pubs because of my accent and half the punters wanted to fight me. First time I went shopping in Tescos (in Toxteth) the checkout girl looked at my basket and said ' 'ow much 'ave yer got love?'. I suppose I had about a tenners worth of food and booze. 'How about 5 quid?' I said. 'That's perfect,' she said. At the bus stop mini cab drivers would tout for fares, loading up as many people they could fit in and charged you 50p. One time the queue at my local bus stop consisted of Pete Burns (then of Dead or Alive), his wife and the drummer from Echo and the Bunnymen. Despite the poverty and the stick, I had a laugh up there, but it was always a relief to return to London. The first thing I'd notice was the cars. Cars everywhere, Porsches, Beemers, Mercs, Range Rovers, double parked - so much affluence, the contrast was extreme.
                  Its grim up north, only a northerner would want to live there

Comment

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post
                    Spurs for me, horrible fans, we was away early 1984/85 season when most qpr fans were on a terrace in front of a stand which I think was the Paxton end and a few myself included were in the seats in the stand behind the terrace , it went off in the seats all over the place and we got a real doing and I remember seeing the old guy with white hair and glasses that was always seen at away games get smacked and was led out by stewards with blood pouring from his face, we lost 5-0 with Clive Allen getting 2 , when we came out hundreds of Spurs were waiting with no old bill in sight , I'll never forget that day and the way innocent fans of all ages were attacked inside the ground.
                    witnessed them giving a Rangers fan with his little boy grief c.1978, didn't go to an away game for 6-7 years after that. Period when gates were affected badly by hooliganism. Go with Luton as my worst experience
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                      witnessed them giving a Rangers fan with his little boy grief c.1978, didn't go to an away game for 6-7 years after that. Period when gates were affected badly by hooliganism. Go with Luton as my worst experience
                      we played brentford in a pre-season a few years back(the day linford cristie won the 100m gold??) and a few of us were in their end when a rangers fan with his little girl was walking down the side of the pitch. a few mouthy mugs gave them real bad abuse and started spitting at them-shocking it was. a big fat lump started it with his trampy mates...i ended up with a slight sore forehead that somehow ended up connecting with the chubby lads nose....we stayed in that end and they were so much quieter. refused any kind of a walk after.
                      PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

I suppose you have to put Cambridge into the equation having to walk through a boggy field to get in and also Colchester, what's all that about, go in and walk through the side stand to get into the away end

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
                          Ah the old Maine Rd brings back some memories

Remember a night game up there when we won 3-1 and I think Michel Beck scored two of them (remember him?) and it was so cold up in this wobbly temp stand built on scaffolding they gave the few of us who went free hot food and a drink for turning up

Not so friendly afterwards when a small group of 10 year olds bricked our coach!!
                          Remember the first ever Monday night live Sky game up there, Andy Sinton scored 1-1 and Gerry Rafferty playing at HT

Comment

Back in the days when we would take 1 coach up north for a mid week game, the management would give the steward of the coach some cash to buy the fans fish and chips on the way out of the city we were in, those were the days

Comment

Originally posted by Ed the Ball View Post
                              From memory the worse ground/ worse away day for me was early 80's Shrewsbury away, the old Gay Meadow! My pal and myself got the special train which stopped at a concrete siding which was for the away fans like a makeshift platform right by the ground.
                              The ground was tiny and just a few rows of terrace behind the goal.
                              We only had about 400/500 turnout and no atmosphere at all.
                              The game was the worse 0-0 draw I ever witnessed pure boredom.
                              On the way back just out of Shrewsbury someone had chucked a heavy blocks of concrete on the tracks and we were held there for about an hour and a half. So that was a terrible day out!
                              The other worse grounds for me were Rotherhams old ground and Plough Lane. Barnsley probably the most unfriendly gaff ever. As for unfriendliest ever away day was Leeds in the FA Cup 86 OR 87? That was like Custers last stand up in the seats fending off all corners of the ground who decided to attack all R's fans present. And they had won!!
                              i went to that leeds game they were fighting the police to try and get to us , singing ' arthur daley is a winker ' songs and we lost , they had national front stalls outside the ground

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                                Agree are there really no go areas??? I have to say if I wanted to go somewhere then I go day or night. People always go on about the South Acton estate and needing to avoid it but in my 36 years I have never had any bother there and I have wandered through it in may states of disrepair and varying times of the day

Media make us want to believe there are no go areas
                                south Acton estate not that bad wests,worked there for a few months on the maintenance. some loons obviously, made me laugh dancing on the greens to rave at 7 in the morning.
                                Charlton , nightmare to get to .carsey
                                Brentford, like an old peoples home.carsey
                                Mk dons, uck all about could be mistaken for poundland
                                Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Working...
                                X