No announcement yet.

Matty Phillips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think philips is match fit at the moment, he missed a lot of last season as well so I think he needs to be given 3or4 games then judge him, im sure he will come good

Comment

Two guilt edged chances in two away games to put us back in the game at Spurs and Utd and he fluffed both opportunities. That's the difference between a prem and championship player if they fall to Rooney, Costa, Sturridge etc its in the back of the net

You some times only get one opportunity in the top flight and it can be the difference between winning and losing were not clinical

Comment

Easy: Vargas in, Phillips out.
        QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Wasn't at Spurs, but he was poor yesterday, although so were pretty much the whole team (bar maybe Fer, Traore, Isla & Vargas).

Not guna read too much into it, hardly going to dominate against United at Old Trafford.

Still think he is a good player that will have a decent season for us. Don't fancy him & Hoilett in the line up together though, think they should be rotated. He whips in a decent ball, has pace & can have a strike that doesn't end up in row Z. Not guna get on his back just yet based on 2 poor performances away vs top 6 sides - especially when there have been equally as poor performances go without comment.

On the subject of his chance, don't think is was too much worse than Vargas' dragged shot wide of the target yet that goes without comment?

Personally think we are too quick to jump on players without PL experience & label them not upto it, if nothing else, I think from our latest attempt at the PL we should have learnt to try & stick with the players that got us up a bit more.

Each to their own of course, but personally am going to wait and see how he performs against sides we need to be competing with before judging him too much. If he can't cut ti against Stoke, Southampton, Leicester, Wet Spam etc, then fair enough I will happily jon the "he aint upto it" crowd, but for me I am reserving judgement.
          Last edited by MattyRangers; 15-09-2014, 07:49 AM.
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Phillips is a big lad. Big lads usually need a lot of games to get really sharp in their touches, big limbs, big movements and all that :-) I am sure he will come good, every game I see some good stuff from him. At least he was chasing the ball to create the chance (both yesterday and at Spuds) even though he fluffed them both.
            https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
              Two guilt edged chances in two away games to put us back in the game at Spurs and Utd and he fluffed both opportunities. That's the difference between a prem and championship player if they fall to Rooney, Costa, Sturridge etc its in the back of the net

You some times only get one opportunity in the top flight and it can be the difference between winning and losing were not clinical
              Matty is a £4m winger, not a £50m striker. He was just finding his groove on the wing with some good passes into the box when injury struck him last year, there'll be more to come from him soon I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Yousef View Post
                Easy: Vargas in, Phillips out.
                Vargas is much better used as a striker, as his international record shows and Matty is better a winger, no 'easy' swap there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoop-du-Jour View Post
                  Vargas is much better used as a striker, as his international record shows and Matty is better a winger, no 'easy' swap there.
                  Sure. I did not mean use him as a winger. I think we better try Taarabt and Hoilet or even Traore as wingers. Phillips can come form the bench.
                  QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                    Wasn't at Spurs, but he was poor yesterday, although so were pretty much the whole team (bar maybe Fer, Traore, Isla & Vargas).

Not guna read too much into it, hardly going to dominate against United at Old Trafford.

Still think he is a good player that will have a decent season for us. Don't fancy him & Hoilett in the line up together though, think they should be rotated. He whips in a decent ball, has pace & can have a strike that doesn't end up in row Z. Not guna get on his back just yet based on 2 poor performances away vs top 6 sides - especially when there have been equally as poor performances go without comment.

On the subject of his chance, don't think is was too much worse than Vargas' dragged shot wide of the target yet that goes without comment?

Personally think we are too quick to jump on players without PL experience & label them not upto it, if nothing else, I think from our latest attempt at the PL we should have learnt to try & stick with the players that got us up a bit more.

Each to their own of course, but personally am going to wait and see how he performs against sides we need to be competing with before judging him too much. If he can't cut ti against Stoke, Southampton, Leicester, Wet Spam etc, then fair enough I will happily jon the "he aint upto it" crowd, but for me I am reserving judgement.
                    That was a poor effort as well mate, got to be hitting the target from there. To be fair was at an angle and with the goal keeper in goal. Phillips was an open goal dead centre that any professional player should be scoring. As you say we see how he gets on against the lower sides.
                    @chrisrobson9

Comment

Matty Phillips was proper shyte yesterday, looked like a league 2 player against Man U.

Comment

Slating our own players on an away performance at United is extremely harsh.. Matty hasn't been fully fit since we signed him so I think everyone should stop looking for scape goats after yesterday.

Comment

He was quality against Sunderland, as was Hoilett.

Dont see the point coating one player off when the whole team were poor and, realistically, we all knew it would be a game pretty much all our players would struggle in.

Comment

No-one would have scored that goal yesterday from the angle Matty's body was at.

Not a £50m striker or anyone here complaining about it. The replay from behind the player shows that his body was schewing left at contact and the only place the ball was going in was wide right to miss the players in front of him. He did well to direct goalwards at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
                              No-one would have scored that goal yesterday from the angle Matty's body was at.

Not a £50m striker or anyone here complaining about it. The replay from behind the player shows that his body was schewing left at contact and the only place the ball was going in was wide right to miss the players in front of him. He did well to direct goalwards at all.
                              Hence why he heeled the ball and scuffed it... Great chance though

Comment

Matt has been very disappointing. It is clear he has little technical ability and has a a poor first touch. His assets are explosive pace and a powerful physique, which he needs to learn how to use for the team's advantage. I really see his role as an impact sub.

Comment

Working...
                                X