Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we change our penalty and free kick taker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can probably count on one hand the amount of pro footballers worldwide who regularly hit the target from free kicks....Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Juninho, Messi, Beckham. After that I am struggling. Even Ronaldo, the majority of his hit the wall or end up in the stands. I agree that Adels corners have been poor, as someone said before his got the ability to be on the edge of the box for a chest and volley if a defender heads it out from a corner, so he should be doing that. But shooting free kicks, he is probably our only player who out of 10 direct free kicks, one will fly into the top corner. Also with pens, would keep him on them, every one misses pens eventually, someone tell me a player who has never missed a pen being a designated pen taker.
    @chrisrobson9

Comment

I think I am with you there. I would leave Adel on Free kicks, maybe mix up with Granny and see what Jenas can do also, but they need to be on the pitch for that. Corners maybe smeone else. However a few corners got to our players v Norwich and we didn't convert - in fact Samba was blatently held away from teh ball in one and could have been a pen.

AS for pens - even the mighty Messi misses them occasionally and Adels conversion rate is quite high IIRC.
      twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
        Agree we have to make the most of the chance to get players in the box, and if we have BZ on the pitch we have a real ariel threat with him Samba and Hill. I noticed we had Townsend taking some corners yesterday he's seem to deliver a good ball
        QPR need to work on set pieces a lot more than they do and vary the delivery and taker to suilt the kick i.e. the one that Taarabt took with his right foot out on the right that curled back away from the post, should have been taken by a left footer like Traore. Traore is actually quite good at crossing and should take more of these free kicks and corners like Leighton Baines and Ian Harte do for Everton & Reading.
        I think Zamora has previously taken penalties, and Campbell if he isn't loaned out has already scored a few for Ipswich this season.

QPR are not likely to create many scoring chances, but with players like Taarabt, Mackie, Townsend making runs into the box, they are capable of winning some pens (true only 2 this season, but they might sure more attacking prowess now and win more). If they do win pens, it is essential that they are converted and I am not convinced that Taarabt can do this often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Robsondinho View Post
          You can probably count on one hand the amount of pro footballers worldwide who regularly hit the target from free kicks....Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Juninho, Messi, Beckham. After that I am struggling. Even Ronaldo, the majority of his hit the wall or end up in the stands. I agree that Adels corners have been poor, as someone said before his got the ability to be on the edge of the box for a chest and volley if a defender heads it out from a corner, so he should be doing that. But shooting free kicks, he is probably our only player who out of 10 direct free kicks, one will fly into the top corner. Also with pens, would keep him on them, every one misses pens eventually, someone tell me a player who has never missed a pen being a designated pen taker.
          How many freekicks has Taarabt taken and sent into the top corner? I can't recall a single one in 4 seasons with QPR. Granero takes better.
          Free kicks that are out on the right flank could be crossed in by Traore. Perhaps Fabio or Townsend can take the ones from the left (same for corners).

I think given QPR's lack of goals and the way they play against the top sides, that set pieces are the best hope for goals and so they really need to make better use of these, especially if Samba, Zamora, Bothroyd, Hill and Mbia are on the pitch to win crosses. Also, with either Campbell or Remy in the box to feed off rebounds or flick ons and Taarabt placed outside of the box for any clearances, QPR might just score some goals.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
            How many freekicks has Taarabt taken and sent into the top corner? I can't recall a single one in 4 seasons with QPR. Granero takes better.Free kicks that are out on the right flank could be crossed in by Traore. Perhaps Fabio or Townsend can take the ones from the left (same for corners).

I think given QPR's lack of goals and the way they play against the top sides, that set pieces are the best hope for goals and so they really need to make better use of these, especially if Samba, Zamora, Bothroyd, Hill and Mbia are on the pitch to win crosses. Also, with either Campbell or Remy in the box to feed off rebounds or flick ons and Taarabt placed outside of the box for any clearances, QPR might just score some goals.
            dunno where you got that from mate. im sure he's got a few. derby away where we won 4-2 springs to mind. ive seen granero take 2 or 3 and every time he skies it.
            Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
            Pawel Wszolek - 6
            Luke Freeman - 6
            Matt Smith - 6
            Ebere Eze - 4
            Joel Lynch - 3
            Tomer Hemed - 3
            Toni Leistner - 2
            Massimo Luongo- 2
            Angel Rangel - 2
            Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
            Geoff Cameron - 1
            Aramide Oteh - 1
            Jake Bidwell - 1
            Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Now I aint saying his a free kick master, but he does have it in his locker. How many of our players could do this? Granero maybe. Just a quick search on youtube and found these. Again not saying his a free kick master, but throws out the argument his **** at free kicks really, if he was **** none of them would of gone in. (2 more underneath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qMAP3JnmM
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmCgwTv0FA
              @chrisrobson9

Comment

Look at how many Rooney has missed this year already !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robsondinho View Post
                  Now I aint saying his a free kick master, but he does have it in his locker. How many of our players could do this? Granero maybe. Just a quick search on youtube and found these. Again not saying his a free kick master, but throws out the argument his **** at free kicks really, if he was **** none of them would of gone in. (2 more underneath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qMAP3JnmM
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmCgwTv0FA
                  Not really convinced by those vids tbh...you have to question the keeper in the 1st
                  Derby one ok ...but most people said the spurs one was as much bad keeping as a good strike.
                  I would like to see us change players and ideas on fk's

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                    Not really convinced by those vids tbh...you have to question the keeper in the 1st
                    Derby one ok ...but most people said the spurs one was as much bad keeping as a good strike.
                    I would like to see us change players and ideas on fk's
                    lets pretend it was jamie redknapp who took that free kick. as dave loves harry, if it was jamie who took it, suddenly it would be a GREAT free kick that no keeper in the world could have saved.
                    Last edited by Marshy; 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

(yawn) pretend R is back

Comment

Has Adel missed a penalty for us before? Can't remember one off the top of my head. Not sure why everyone is so sure his penalties are useless and that he shouldn't take them anymore (actually I am sure: because most people are fickle and results-based).

Would give free kicks to Adel or Granero. Its ridiculous that after all these signings we seem to be the only Prem club without a consistent set piece taker in our first eleven

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                          Where's Granero on the poll...???

When he's on the pitch, Granero should be on all dead balls. Much better than Adel. Also if he's in a shooting position around the box, Hill (as captain) should get hold of Adel and keep him the F$%k away from the taker. He whines and kicks off that he should be taking it instead of them and it only puts more pressure on the taker to produce.
                          The crowd have a role to play here. The booing when Granero took a free kick ahead of Taarabt vs Man City was shocking. Heaped loads of unnecessary pressure on Granero, who then stuck it into the upper loft. He was supposed to be the taker for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
                            Has Adel missed a penalty for us before? Can't remember one off the top of my head. Not sure why everyone is so sure his penalties are useless and that he shouldn't take them anymore (actually I am sure: because most people are fickle and results-based).

Would give free kicks to Adel or Granero. Its ridiculous that after all these signings we seem to be the only Prem club without a consistent set piece taker in our first eleven
                            Apparently he had a 8 out of 8 record prior to this one.

Comment

We need to give pens to a proven goalscorer. So for the time being stick with AT.

Comment

Working...
                              X