Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Millwall

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jmelanie
    Gold Seat
    • Aug 2011
    • 7525

    #31
    Originally posted by Hubble
    Wow, I find that very strange to be honest. I've lived in West London most of my life and always found people friendly. If I walk up the road to Queens Park or down to Portobello I will end up seeing half a dozen people at least that I know and everyone will stop to chat. Was the same in Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush when I lived there. Guess it depends which part of West London you mean, but to label the entire area as unfriendly is a bit much.
    I didn't mean to cause offense. My main point is that everybody on the bus or tube talks to you even if they don't know you. We live in Perivale and Northolt, so maybe it is different. When we first moved there in 1951 lots of people talked to us but as the years went by fewer and fewer people. Having said that everybody talked to my brother. but then he was that sort of person.

    Comment

    • Hubble
      Postmodernist
      • Jan 2013
      • 5616

      #32
      Not offended jm, just defending the fair name of West London! I think the outlying parts of West London are very different to the more central areas.

      Comment

      • vespa
        Gang of Four Members
        • Mar 2011
        • 6903

        #33
        Originally posted by Hubble
        Not offended jm, just defending the fair name of West London! I think the outlying parts of West London are very different to the more central areas.
        See thats the difference ,the WHOLE of South London is like a paradise ,from Southwark to Sutton ,its all like the Garden of Eden !
        Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

        Comment

        • Hubble
          Postmodernist
          • Jan 2013
          • 5616

          #34
          Originally posted by vespa
          See thats the difference ,the WHOLE of South London is like a paradise ,from Southwark to Sutton ,its all like the Garden of Eden !
          Haha Vesps - yeah, right mate!

          Comment

          • vespa
            Gang of Four Members
            • Mar 2011
            • 6903

            #35
            F uckin ell nan ,how many times have i told you about dressing the kids up as cozzers ? disgusting !
            Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

            Comment

            • Jeems
              Silver Seat
              • Jan 2012
              • 2857

              #36
              Originally posted by Hubble
              Wow, I find that very strange to be honest. I've lived in West London most of my life and always found people friendly. If I walk up the road to Queens Park or down to Portobello I will end up seeing half a dozen people at least that I know and everyone will stop to chat. Was the same in Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush when I lived there. Guess it depends which part of West London you mean, but to label the entire area as unfriendly is a bit much.
              The mindset is different now. These days if a stranger stops to chat, the assumption is they are crazy/drunk/gonna mug me.

              The neighborly feel is gone from London, and part of the reason is that its grown into this huge, multi-cultural metropolis where people come and go. Growing up in Chiswick in the late 80's/early 90's, you knew your neighbours, the postman, milkman etc. I dont even know who lives on my floor in my flat right now!

              Comment

              • Hubble
                Postmodernist
                • Jan 2013
                • 5616

                #37
                Originally posted by Jeems
                The mindset is different now. These days if a stranger stops to chat, the assumption is they are crazy/drunk/gonna mug me.

                The neighborly feel is gone from London, and part of the reason is that its grown into this huge, multi-cultural metropolis where people come and go. Growing up in Chiswick in the late 80's/early 90's, you knew your neighbours, the postman, milkman etc. I dont even know who lives on my floor in my flat right now!
                That's absolutely not the case in Queens Park/Maida Hill where I live Jeems. Very neighbourly and friendly. I know my postman, people in the shops, locals, people chat to each other, say hello..... So there's no absolute proof of what you say, it's subjective. If I walk up Salusbury Road it's guaranteed I will bump into people I know, usually at least 10 or 20 people I know! (In fact I often bump into people I know almost anywhere in London!) A smile or a 'hello' is usually all it takes to break the ice and discover we're pretty much all friendly neighbours underneath the 'fear of the unknown.' Just start a chat. It's easy. Bingo, you're chatting with someone.

                I used to live in Chiswick too many moons ago, and I still visit occasionally and find it's pretty much the same. Sure, the massive influx of people to London continues apace, and it's easy to feel it's an alienating place, but my contention is that that is really down to perception. And of course, there are some places that are not particularly friendly or welcoming, but that's true anywhere. I spend a fair amount of time in Yorkshire these days and also visit Cornwall often and yes the people serving in shops are friendly and the drivers are certainly more courteous and considerate, but the people serving round here are friendly too! Was just chatting to a young lad serving in M&S last night, very friendly lad, by the name of Mohammed. Contentious, I know, but he was a very nice lad.

                Comment

                • Itsonlyagame
                  Silver Seat
                  • Jul 2015
                  • 2053

                  #38
                  by the name of Mohammed. Contentious, I know, but he was a very nice lad.
                  Very popular name that, especially in this country
                  “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                  Will Danaher

                  Comment

                  • Kevin Mcleod
                    Referee
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 17322

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Itsonlyagame
                    Very popular name that, especially in this country
                    Number 1 most popular actually.

                    Comment

                    • Jeems
                      Silver Seat
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 2857

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod
                      Number 1 most popular actually.
                      The reason that this one is the most popular is because Muslims all call their son this. Variety is not one of their strong points.

                      Comment

                      • Itsonlyagame
                        Silver Seat
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 2053

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Jeems
                        The reason that this one is the most popular is because Muslims all call their son this. Variety is not one of their strong points.
                        You're not wrong there. Wearing an all black onesie day after day certainly seems to lack a bit of imagination on the old wardrobe front.
                        “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                        Will Danaher

                        Comment

                        • nanocopic
                          Silver Seat
                          • Oct 2015
                          • 1725

                          #42
                          Often at Millwall, going to Sunday and next Wednesday's games and not surprised by this. Have seen some pretty low behaviour. Saw a black guy call out a mixed race player, saw a mixed race fan racially insult a black player. Hundreds of kids like this boy go with their highly racist grand parents, to be completely honest that was exactly how I started. I first went with my racist Nan and Great grandad and have just started going back as cheap tickets for some games so something fun to do on qpr free match days.

                          Comment

                          • Kevin Mcleod
                            Referee
                            • Aug 2013
                            • 17322

                            #43
                            That Black V White documentary that was on Sunday night was a really good programme. Well worth a watch on catch up if you ain't seen it. Bob Hazell was on it.

                            Comment

                            • Hertford Hoop
                              W12 Seat
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 15998

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod
                              That Black V White documentary that was on Sunday night was a really good programme. Well worth a watch on catch up if you ain't seen it. Bob Hazell was on it.
                              Now there's a player I would love to see playing again
                              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

                              Comment

                              Working...