No announcement yet.

Europe. In or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big drops at the start meant nothing, and the slight recovery also doesn't mean much. It all hinges on what deal the government can thrash out. If we can agree a decent trade deal then its all rosy, if not then...

The way I see it, if the UK prospers from Brexit the EU is over and I'm pretty sure the EU will fight their hardest to stop that from happening. Long way to go yet.

Comment

• As the former governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King pointed out yesterday, it is always hazardous to rely on the initial reactions of a turbulent market. The pound has fallen, but will bounce back, according to perceptions of Britain's economic recovery horizon. In any case, the fall was mainly against the dollar. The inherent weakness of the euro, by contrast, is the real one to worry about! The EU is a currency transfer union whereby bailout funds are transferred from strong northern economies to weak southern ones, breeding resentment in both camps. We all know that while labour laws in Italy, Spain and Greece cause productivity to languish they are caught in a debt trap from which there is no escape. And for all of Draghi's "whatever it takes" assurances, which now retain zero credibility, it is the euro that's in intensive care.

Status of UK ex-pats is of concern because of the uncertainty of future formal treatment - as aliens? As stateless migrants? As unwelcome visitors residing under sufferance? But there is a 'quid pro quo' here - EU governments have little to gain from playing schadenfreude out of spite and facing the rage of EU residents in Britain.

Related to this is the welfare question, mainly health care costs - especially for those ex-pats of advanced years. I understand that this issue depends on the existence of reciprocal arrangements. If an Australian visitor to France falls ill and requires medical treatment, he can rely on the French health service to reclaim the cost of his treatment from the Australian government - provided there is a reciprocal arrangement in force. He or his insurer may need to pay up in the first instance, but it can then be reclaimed. It strikes me as an elementary point, and one of the first to be put in place by any new British administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
        As the former governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King pointed out yesterday, it is always hazardous to rely on the initial reactions of a turbulent market. The pound has fallen, but will bounce back, according to perceptions of Britain's economic recovery horizon. In any case, the fall was mainly against the dollar. The inherent weakness of the euro, by contrast, is the real one to worry about! The EU is a currency transfer union whereby bailout funds are transferred from strong northern economies to weak southern ones, breeding resentment in both camps. We all know that while labour laws in Italy, Spain and Greece cause productivity to languish they are caught in a debt trap from which there is no escape. And for all of Draghi's "whatever it takes" assurances, which now retain zero credibility, it is the euro that's in intensive care.

Status of UK ex-pats is of concern because of the uncertainty of future formal treatment - as aliens? As stateless migrants? As unwelcome visitors residing under sufferance? But there is a 'quid pro quo' here - EU governments have little to gain from playing schadenfreude out of spite and facing the rage of EU residents in Britain.

Related to this is the welfare question, mainly health care costs - especially for those ex-pats of advanced years. I understand that this issue depends on the existence of reciprocal arrangements. If an Australian visitor to France falls ill and requires medical treatment, he can rely on the French health service to reclaim the cost of his treatment from the Australian government - provided there is a reciprocal arrangement in force. He or his insurer may need to pay up in the first instance, but it can then be reclaimed. It strikes me as an elementary point, and one of the first to be put in place by any new British administration.
        I don't think health costs are a big problem for tourists. There are plenty of travel insurance plans. We take out a yearly plan for the world including the U.S. It is quite costly about 500 pounds a year. However that cover both illness and other things (like your flight being cancelled). It even includes if I need treatment regarding my present illness. I am in my late 60s and my husband is over 70.

You can purchase travel insurance for your European holiday for a reasonable cost. I think people often take this out even if you can get treatment with EHIC. The EHIC card can be problematic because you have to know what you need to do to receive treatment in whichever country you are in.

Comment

• genuine question. Would London have voted Remain if millions hadn't left London like myself in the last 30 years?
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

• Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
            genuine question. Would London have voted Remain if millions hadn't left London like myself in the last 30 years?
            Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
              genuine question. Would London have voted Remain if millions hadn't left London like myself in the last 30 years?
              This Londoner know's that the majority of my 81 family members who lived and worked locally up to the mid 80's by which time had left London for various reason would have all voted.....NO.

My nan hated the French, there was always a row at the stall when my dad bought French Golden Delicious at Covent Garden instead of English apples, she used to go loopy at him.
              I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• Looks like Michael Gove this morning has killed any chance of Boris becoming PM.

Love Gove. Strong convictions, a bit like Thatcher. With someone alongside him a bit more moderate (Theresa May) this country would prosper.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                  Looks like Michael Gove this morning has killed any chance of Boris becoming PM.

Love Gove. Strong convictions, a bit like Thatcher. With someone alongside him a bit more moderate (Theresa May) this country would prosper.
                  He was impressive when he did his debate on TV.
                  I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                    He was impressive when he did his debate on TV.
                    An intellectual heavyweight. Not scared of tough decisions and being unpopular (ask the teachers). We need someone who isn't afraid to upset some people for the greater good. With a big cabinet and a moderate experience Deputy I can see this working.

Just my 2p opinion anyhow.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                      Looks like Michael Gove this morning has killed any chance of Boris becoming PM.

What did Gove say?

Comment

• Wait for the geography A Level teacher arrive with his whining chronies we don't want Gove he wouldn't let us cover the backs of our incompetent colleagues

Comment

• Nightmare possibility. Janet Krankie talking for Scotland and that screeching eagle bird spouting for the lefties.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                            What did Gove say?
                            Boris not fit to lead the Country.

Harsh, but fair.

Comment

• Gove is a smart chap but as a leader to represent us strongly at home and abroad? No thanks. Boris is a bumbling buffoon. Other 2 would be ok. Labour needs to sort itself out as need a strong opposition with reputable leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                                Gove is a smart chap but as a leader to represent us strongly at home and abroad? No thanks. Boris is a bumbling buffoon. Other 2 would be ok. Labour needs to sort itself out as need a strong opposition with reputable leader.
                                Agree that Labour definitely need to sort themselves our, this country needs credible opposition.

Like Theresa May but she's too weak imo, and a remainer. Would make an excellent Deputy tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X