Europe. In or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
    Could somebody remove the VOTE REMAIN advert from the top of the page?
    Google ads are targeted according to your browsing habits Mel. You're obviously seeing that due to your keen interest in the subject. We can't remove it as it helps pay towards the costs of running the site. Sorry about that but we'd have no site otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      Google ads are targeted according to your browsing habits Mel. You're obviously seeing that due to your keen interest in the subject. We can't remove it as it helps pay towards the costs of running the site. Sorry about that but we'd have no site otherwise.
      I actually did manage to remove it because there was something you could click on to not show it anymore. Thanks.

I've got a question. 128 people have answered this poll. What percentage is that of the people who regularly participate on this site?
      Last edited by jmelanie; 11-06-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I've got a question. 128 people have answered this poll. What percentage is that of the people who regularly participate on this site?
        I'd say roughly 90%.

Comment

• There was a 1000+ votes on another site?

Comment

• Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
            They are elected then?
            Every national government is elected Dave, who make up the council of ministers.

The European parliament is elected.

The EU wanted to have the leaders of the Commission elected but it was the British govt who blocked it because they thought it would give the EU more legitimacy.

The British govt, in contrast, was voted for by precisely one in five of those who are entitled to vote, and just 36% of those who did actually bother to vote.

One of our two Houses of Parliament is appointed, including with almost 100 people who are there purely because one of their ancestors had a title.

But Britain is apparently a model of democracy and Europe is completely undemocratic.

You couldn't make up some of the comments on here...

Comment

Didn't we have the period of we "never had it so good" before we threw our hats in with the Europeans.
              If you had read me previous post I answered that. Germany overtook us economically in 1960, France in 1968 when we were having to pay tariffs to trade with Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                We might be super rich ? You're losing it more than the remain camp Stains. If, for whatever reason, leaving the eu guarantees to hit you in the pocket directly then fair enough, why not just say that. Let's remind ourselves that it was you who said the low paid/ low skilled workers of this country needed to either put up or shut up when it came to being undercut by cheaper labour migrating from poorer countries within the eu. Or have you forgotten ?
                The entire country is going to be poorer if we leave (and I admit we might well leave). I don't think we will cut immigration even if we leave - because we will want to remain trading without tariffs (as every outer on here says) and to do that you have to accept "the free movement of goods, services and labour" (Its written on the tin). So I don't think leaving will help those workers. Indeed, it is EU legislation which protects many worker rights - outers such as Nigel Lawson have expressly said they want to be leave so we would be free to pursue a Thatcherite, totally free market agenda. If you are NOT ultra rich, that should make you worried. With all the economic uncertainty (money is ALREADY flooding out of the country) a lot of workers are going to lose their jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                  If you had read me previous post I answered that. Germany overtook us economically in 1960, France in 1968 when we were having to pay tariffs to trade with Europe.
                  I explained in my previous post that was rubbish (see riots in France in 1968) but you are obviously only interested in your opinion. As for things being more expensive in the U.K. that actually didn't happen until 1971 and the reason for that was decimalization, anybody who was around at that time remembers how prices increased when we changed from pounds, shillings and pence.

Comment

Every national government is elected Dave, who make up the council of ministers.

The EU wanted to have the leaders of the Commission elected but it was the British govt who blocked it because they thought it would give the EU more legitimacy.

The British govt, in contrast, was voted for by precisely one in five of those who are entitled to vote, and just 36% of those who did actually bother to vote.

One of our two Houses of Parliament is appointed, including with almost 100 people who are there purely because one of their ancestors had a title.

But Britain is apparently a model of democracy and Europe is completely undemocratic
                    You couldn't make up some of the comments on here...
                    As far as I can see all the council of ministers do is cost us a lot of money. For example why do they need two headquarters (Strasbourg and Brussels).

Also in the 2014 Election which was decided by proportional representation, UKIP was the majority party and several other countries elected parties who are fundamentally anti-European. I don't believe the decisions being made in the EU are being made by these democratically elected individuals..

Comment

• [QUOTE=stainrodisalegend;1539222]Every national government is elected Dave, who make up the council of ministers.

But Britain is apparently a model of democracy and Europe is completely undemocratic.

You couldn't make up some of the comments on here

Time for a change then, I have voted out by post and I will no longer vote Conversative, UKIP for me.

I agree with you about the Lords, far too many, and reduce the Commons to 200-250 MP's.

I thought you were not going to debate this any more.

For me it is not about the economy, that will take care of itself, for me, it is sovereignty, I will not accept Junckers and co.

Regarding immigration, we have 1.7 million unemployed, why do we need 300 low paid migrants packing bananas in Luton, as shown on TV last night.

Unemployment is costing £6.5 billion a year and a waste of 1.7 million lives, charity begins at home, remaining in the EU will not solve this problem, it just makes unemployment for our citizens worse as unscrupulous employers have a dearth of foriegn labour who they pay 7.20 an hour too.

It is time for a change, please see the light and vote out, Britain is a great country with great people, we just need a government that doesn't want an under class of serfs.
                      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

The entire country is going to be poorer if we leave (and I admit we might well leave). I don't think we will cut immigration even if we leave - because we will want to remain trading without tariffs (as every outer on here says) and to do that you have to accept "the free movement of goods, services and labour" (Its written on the tin). So I don't think leaving will help those workers. Indeed, it is EU legislation which protects many worker rights - outers such as Nigel Lawson have expressly said they want to be leave so we would be free to pursue a Thatcherite, totally free market agenda. If you are NOT ultra rich, that should make you worried. With all the economic uncertainty (money is ALREADY flooding out of the country) a lot of workers are going to lose their jobs.
                        Project Fear

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoop-du-Jour View Post
                          Project Fear
                          Indeed. And rightly so. I am truly terrified by the number of people out there who are willing to risk all our well being on a boris wing and a Farage prayer. Heaven help us all. And are you watching the game coverage. Putin et al will love it if you outers win. And Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by wortonranger View Post
                            Indeed. And rightly so. I am truly terrified by the number of people out there who are willing to risk all our well being on a boris wing and a Farage prayer. Heaven help us all. And are you watching the game coverage. Putin et al will love it if you outers win. And Trump.
                            How are we risking our well being?

Proper answer please, not just some made up repeat of the usual nonsense which is temporary at worst.

Comment

What have Putin and Trump got to do with our membership of the European Union?

Comment

We are one of the greatest trading nation's on the planet, why do you think that will change?

Personally, I think things will only get better for the lower paid, as wages will rise when the "draw bridge" is raised.
                                I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Working...
                                X