we need derry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shanns View Post
    We play a lot better when he's in the side.
    For various reasons, we're better against good sides when we sit deep and let them take the initiative.

I think its the way we set up when Derry is in the side that makes us play better, not the fact that Derry himself is playing. We could set up in the same way - deep, with a man just in front of the defence - but with Mbia in the Derry role, and I think we would be a better side.

Comment

Very little to choose between any of the CMs at the club imo.
      If M'vila or Sissoko or Cole or Livermore had arrived they would be a cut above and guaranteed starters as there is not enough quality there.
      Wouldn't pick Derry though for tomorrow just because the team won without him which tips the balance in favour of retaining Mbia and/or Park in that role.

Comment

Well it seems to me that derry is the only midfielder that we have that can keep possession and find his own team mate with a pass which is something that's seriously lacking in our other midfielders especially Mbia granero and tarrabt. Back me up ginger.

Comment

Originally posted by shanns View Post
          Well it seems to me that derry is the only midfielder that we have that can keep possession and find his own team mate with a pass which is something that's seriously lacking in our other midfielders especially Mbia granero and tarrabt. Back me up ginger.
          Yes passing to team mates rather than to the opposition is an important skill and one often lacking in the CMs at the club.
          Agree about Mbia and Granero falling down there - I think Adel has the ability to pick the passes but often chooses to go it alone.
          Jenas passed very well at Southampton as an AM and the DM pair and the defence managed to find the front 3 with a simple ball to an extent so I don't see Derry doing it much better - but like I said its not much of a competition there.

Comment

Originally posted by zeberdee View Post
            Yes passing to team mates rather than to the opposition is an important skill and one often lacking in the CMs at the club.
            Agree about Mbia and Granero falling down there - I think Adel has the ability to pick the passes but often chooses to go it alone.
            Jenas passed very well at Southampton as an AM and the DM pair and the defence managed to find the front 3 with a simple ball to an extent so I don't see Derry doing it much better - but like I said its not much of a competition there.
            Derry can keep hold of the ball as his passing tends to be very unambitious. He struggles to find a pass when we have a midfield 2 rather than 3 though, and there's no point keeping possession just amongst Derry and Mbia passing it back and forth - someone needs to move it up the pitch (bring back Faurlin...)

I know Granero is in awful form right now, but he's easily the best of our centre mids at retaining possession through passing (I know he gets shrugged off the ball a lot) and the only one to show any creativity really.

Comment

derrys got the heart,aint got the legs now,might as well stick him on the goal line,or transplant his legs with mackies,
              Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Working...
              X