Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qblockoompah View Post
    Did Hughes injure BZ then?
    No but he spent many many millions of pounds & started the season with 3 strikers 2 of which (BZ & AJ) have historic injury records. Terrible management left us climbing a mountain the day his 25 was announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
      No but he spent many many millions of pounds & started the season with 3 strikers 2 of which (BZ & AJ) have historic injury records. Terrible management left us climbing a mountain the day his 25 was announced.
      Can't argue with that tbh. Every one of us could see we were lacking up top. Really hope we get 2 strikers in Jan

Comment

Same as that. What worries me is who of any quality would want to join this shambles of a club atm?

Comment

I would try Billy Sharp, scores for fun everywhere he goes. Where's Kevin Doyle ATM? And could someone like Rhodes be tempted away from
          Blackburn?

Comment

Sharp & Rhodes have only joined their respective clubs this season so not sure if the clubs concerned would be to up for letting them go & a Wolves supporting pal says Doyle is having a poor season so far.

Gonna be an abroad buy I'd imagine just can't think for the life of me who is a realistic target given our predicament. Again cheers Sparky.

Comment

Scary thought ain't it! Hopefully the Harry factor can persuade some quality

Comment

That's the only scrap of hope I'm clinging to atm to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                  Sure he scored; it was on a plate for him. But he did absolutely nothing else. Created not a single chance; made not a single pass. He was a passenger throughout the game. We are so, so woeful upfront.
                  What about the useles ***** that dont pass or wont pass to him? You must be ****ing blind if you didnt see how to play to his strengths today when he scored but hey ho.

Comment

Others must be blind, *****ing or otherwise, if, having watched us since August, they think things are going to come right with our present strike force. Which includes Cisse. I'd more than love to be proved wrong, believe me. Starting with Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                      Sure he scored; it was on a plate for him. But he did absolutely nothing else. Created not a single chance; made not a single pass. He was a passenger throughout the game. We are so, so woeful upfront.
                      He is by far the best finisher in the squad. If the team creates chances he will convert a fair number of them, which is more than can be said for the likes of Mackie, Taarabt, Hoilett, SWP etc.
                      Cisse needs players to create chances or space for him to shoot.

Comment

Cisse needs service. He cannot make stuff happen by himself. He would thrive on the kind of service that Cole and Lampard could provide and also the flick ons that a good hold up striker would provide too. He is not someone worth a struggle to keep hold of in the summer but he could certainly do a job second half of the season if the quality behind him improves hugely.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                          He is by far the best finisher in the squad. If the team creates chances he will convert a fair number of them, which is more than can be said for the likes of Mackie, Taarabt, Hoilett, SWP etc.
                          Cisse needs players to create chances or space for him to shoot.
                          I fully agree.

Some strikers have good workrate, some are simply finishers. Even excellent strikers of old such as Ruud van Nistelrooy of Manchester United used to be more of a finisher than an all-round player (such as Rooney), and sometimes he'd be criticized for that when the team wasn't doing too well. Of course, when the team was doing well there were no complaints. There are countless other examples of excellent strikers who did not do much other than wait for a pass and kick it in, but that was their main purpose in the team.

Like others here, I think that our problem is in providing continuous service to our strikers, namely Cisse. Taarabt is a goal threat himself, but when played in his current position, he really needs to focus more on providing service to Cisse, Mackie, and everyone else who may be in position to shoot. He should certainly shoot when he gets the chance, and should try to create that chance, but at this point I think he needs to shift his focus to teamwork and creating more chances for his teammates. Unfortunately, I think that he will be slow to understand this fact, and it will cost us.

Either we need our wingers to step up and perform on providing better service to our strikers, or we need to buy a reliable one in January.
                          Last edited by Joon; 27-12-2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joon View Post
                            I fully agree.

Some strikers have good workrate, some are simply finishers. Even excellent strikers of old such as Ruud van Nistelrooy of Manchester United used to be more of a finisher than an all-round player (such as Rooney), and sometimes he'd be criticized for that when the team wasn't doing too well. Of course, when the team was doing well there were no complaints. There are countless other examples of excellent strikers who did not do much other than wait for a pass and kick it in, but that was their main purpose in the team.

Like others here, I think that our problem is in providing continuous service to our strikers, namely Cisse. Taarabt is a goal threat himself, but when played in his current position, he really needs to focus more on providing service to Cisse, Mackie, and everyone else who may be in position to shoot. He should certainly shoot when he gets the chance, and should try to create that chance, but at this point I think he needs to shift his focus to teamwork and creating more chances for his teammates. Unfortunately, I think that he will be slow to understand this fact, and it will cost us.

Either we need our wingers to step up and perform on providing better service to our strikers, or we need to buy a reliable one in January.
                            The problem is, with our midfield, Cisse is not the player we need. He would be better suited in a team where things are presented to him in the box - we have no such team because we have no creative players apart from Tarbs and in patches, Hoilett. I mean, SWP, Derry, Granero, Faurlin, M'Bia, Diakite - none of these are creative players. Therefore, what I feel we need is a Suarez type striker, one who can operate outside the box, has good movement, and can make things happen without having to rely on the midfield to get the ball into the box for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshy View Post
                              The problem is, with our midfield, Cisse is not the player we need. He would be better suited in a team where things are presented to him in the box - we have no such team because we have no creative players apart from Tarbs and in patches, Hoilett. I mean, SWP, Derry, Granero, Faurlin, M'Bia, Diakite - none of these are creative players. Therefore, what I feel we need is a Suarez type striker, one who can operate outside the box, has good movement, and can make things happen without having to rely on the midfield to get the ball into the box for him.
                              You're probably right that our current midfield doesn't have it in them, but I'm afraid that not even Suarez himself would have much success going forward with the same level of support that Cisse is receiving now.

It would be great if we could bring in a good, active striker to sub/complement Cisse, as well as a reliable winger, and a CB and RB, but that's probably asking for too much of TF realistically. I think question is how many good, reliable players can we buy for these positions, and which ones are priority.

As for Cisse, I think we would still benefit from his good finishing abilities, even with another striker in the team. If we can afford another good winger (or if our wingers step up), he would be able to bring us more goals.
                              Last edited by Joon; 27-12-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joon View Post
                                You're probably right that our current midfield doesn't have it in them, but I'm afraid that not even Suarez himself would have much success going forward with the same level of support that Cisse is receiving now.

It would be great if we could bring in a good, active striker to sub/complement Cisse, as well as a reliable winger, and a CB and RB, but that's probably asking for too much of TF realistically. So the question is how many players can we buy and which ones are priority, I think.
                                But a player like Suarez can make things happen. Even if he gets it ourside the box, he can wriggle and go past the defender and get into the box and then shoot or pass to someone else. Cisse just cannot do this.

I do feel sorry for Cisse, as I think he has been trying, it's just that our team is not suited for his game. If he was playing for someone like Spurs, I am sure he would be doing well - he is a quality finisher. But for us, it sadly isn't happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X