Pros and cons for Redknapp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons for Redknapp

Ok, I'm kind of on the fence about Redknapp. Think he could do a job, but on the other hand very worried about him spunking lots of money and us going down anyways.

Pros

Good man management.
    Proven coaching staff, know how to get a team organised.
    Can win away from home.
    Media love him, great PR for the club.
    Will play attacking football.
    Once he knows his best 11, sticks to it. Continuity is important.
    Good eye for talent.
    Very well connected, even more so than Hughes.

Cons

Questionable financial dealings in the past.
    Will cost a lot, especially his backroom staff.
    Tactically, not as good as many believe. His record against the top clubs isn't great.
    Sometimes pays over the odds for talent/ buys players he doesn't need.
    Picks his favourites, and can leave people isolated.
    His overall record is not actually much better than Hughes, his time at Southampton especially.

For me, the pros outweight the cons. So I guess if he is fired up for the job I'm behind him. If he wants the job!

He doesn't have anything to lose coming to a team cut adrift at the bottom. If we still go down he can say that he improved things. On the flip side if he keeps us up it's a major success.

For us a very good manager is available and there aren't many other options of his recently proven calibre. No brainer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
      Ok, I'm kind of on the fence about Redknapp. Think he could do a job, but on the other hand very worried about him spunking lots of money and us going down anyways.

Pros

Good man management.
      Proven coaching staff, know how to get a team organised.
      Can win away from home.
      Media love him, great PR for the club.
      Will play attacking football.
      Once he knows his best 11, sticks to it. Continuity is important.
      Good eye for talent.
      Very well connected, even more so than Hughes.

Cons

Questionable financial dealings in the past.Will cost a lot, especially his backroom staff.
      Tactically, not as good as many believe. His record against the top clubs isn't great.
      Sometimes pays over the odds for talent/ buys players he doesn't need.
      Picks his favourites, and can leave people isolated.
      His overall record is not actually much better than Hughes, his time at Southampton especially.

For me, the pros outweight the cons. So I guess if he is fired up for the job I'm behind him. If he wants the job!
      The highlighted one above - not his problem. This is the fault of club owners, not managers. People can blame Harry for Portsmouth, but managers (except Wenger maybe) will spend what the owners allow them. It is not their job to manage the accounts.
      twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
        The highlighted one above - not his problem. This is the fault of club owners, not managers. People can blame Harry for Portsmouth, but managers (except Wenger maybe) will spend what the owners allow them. It is not their job to manage the accounts.
        I think Will was referring to his personal finances (his and Rosie's!)
        You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

The other pro is that we could play his missus up front as she is better than Bent, which makes her streets ahead of Zammo.
          twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

One selfish positive (and it's not football related and makes no difference at all) - his daughter-in-law is still one of the finest women around for men aged over 40
            #standuptocancer
            #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
              One selfish positive (and it's not football related and makes no difference at all) - his daughter-in-law is still one of the finest women around for men aged over 40

Face like a horses backside..not even sure Facto would either.

Comment

I think she's grim - each to their own.

Comment

I guess that's why we're all different

#standuptocancer
                  #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                    I think Will was referring to his personal finances (his and Rosie's!)
                    I was indeed. Still let's not let the facts get in the way

Comment

He is such a top manager then why is he not linked to any big name clubs in Europe? It was not that long ago people were talking Mark Hughes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
                        He is such a top manager then why is he not linked to any big name clubs in Europe? It was not that long ago people were talking Mark Hughes up.
                        dont think we can get a top manager same as we cant get top players to sign. We do not have that stature as a football club. Redknapp/Benitez must be ****ing better than the ***** we got now though.

Comment

Louise is lovely and really down to earth - my mrs meets with her occassionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
                            That's why it's called pros and cons for Redknapp, feel free to chime in. Not being linked with anyone isn't really substantive.

Comment

He is not ideal, but better than Hughes.

I dont think he needs to spend a lot of money, he can work with what he has available.

Defensively QPR are not good enough but with better organisation tactics and coaching they can improve.

The main plus point is that he likes to play attacking football and in players like Diakite, Granero, Taarabt Holiett, Cisse, and Traore he has got the players to create chances and score goals. He might even be able to get Mackie to contribute more goals from his games.

If he did take the job, I expect his first player deal might be to bring in Dawson in January.

Comment

Working...
                              X