This César adjusting to the Premier League nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This César adjusting to the Premier League nonsense

I've noticed some 'pundits' and 'commentators' are suggesting that our new top notch goalie might struggle to adapt to Premier League football.

Surely this is complete rubbish. Between the sticks you are going to see the same kinds of attacks and shots at you whichever league you are in (unless it's the Tower Hamlets Saturday Night 3rd Division but hey that's a different meaning to 'taking a shot'...).

Cesar has bags of experience. Is the PL -really- going to throw anything at him which he hasn't seen before?

The main adjustment to me might be how he copes with our, er, panic-stricken defence!
    come on you r's!

yea the press etc dont like the fact that us qpr have sighned a top notch keeper , they want to see us fail. time to prove them all wrong

Comment

60 odd caps for Brazil ?

Plenty of Champions League experience ?

I think our man has seen it all...

Comment

I think they say he has to get used to the physicality of the premier league. I can't imagine that for a goalkeeper the "physicality" will be that much different.

Comment

Keepers from different regions keep in different ways so they could have a point. English keepers are known for coming for crosses and claiming them were as foreign keepers more often then not punch the ball when a catch is the preferred option; similar also seen alot of keepers parry the ball wide of the goal in champions league rather then holding it.

Comment

The fact is he has played across the worlds and up against some of the world's top players. most of These top players actually play in the Premier league. Therefore, surely, he has seen all majority of possible attacks regardless whether he has Premier league experience or not. I agree with the OP.

Comment

The main issue I can see is the language. To command his area a goalkeeper often needs to be vocal.

Comment

Think if you look at corners and set pieces, we tend to to be a lot more aggressive than some other countries. Look at De Gea, it was pretty embarrassing he was in one of the top leagues in Europe but struggled to handle himself for corners.

Myself, I don't think Cesar will have that many problems he has a good physique and won't get bullied. But he will still have some adapting to do.

Comment

We'll se about Cesar, he's a top keeper in most ways, although a bit short for my liking. Still, height not all, just look at Rob Green's first half against MC. I think MC hade four or five corners which all went into "the goalkeepers box", Rob (2 inches taller than Cesar) didn't claim one! And THAT is for sure not good enough in the PL!

It will be extremely interesting to watch Cesar in England as we apparently chose him in front of Buruc (who I haven't seen in Fiorentina but always liked in Celtic). I count on our guys having made their homework and awards for Goalkeeper of the Year in Italy 2009 & 2010 says it all really. I'm not that worried, as long as my name isn't Rob Green. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                    The main issue I can see is the language. To command his area a goalkeeper often needs to be vocal.
                    He did OK in Italy, so I assume he'll get by.

Comment

He is top drawer and will take it by storm imo. He'll have no pressure playing for QPR compared to what he's used to.

Some keepers take time but there are normallyu much different circumstances, such as De Geah at Utd. He came to a pressure cauldron, had to tak over from one of their great keepers, and had a massive fee to live up to.

Cesar has been there done it, faced the very best in the biggest games, and was free coming to modest QPR.... No pressure.

Comment

Vocab why he doesn't need to say much as screaming at your defence is a universal language.

Comment

De Gea has got about as much meat on him then a beef chrisp....Cesar is a big bloke and will look after himself... As long as Anton isn't near him
                          http://twitter.com/Mellowhoop

Comment

in the same way that you could argue barton's influence on the overall team spirit was negative when he came in last season....do you think cesar's influence on team spirit will actually be one of the things our group of strangers needs in order to help them gel together as a team? a strong playing unit needs a couple of strong characters to help bind them together. we've kind of been lacking in someone like that over the past 18-24 months really. last year we noted that barton was more divisive as a strong character - i just have a feeling cesar will be the opposite (in a positive way for us) for some reason. or at least i hope so!

duncs
                            come on you r's!

Comment

Originally posted by sirduncs View Post
                              in the same way that you could argue barton's influence on the overall team spirit was negative when he came in last season....do you think cesar's influence on team spirit will actually be one of the things our group of strangers needs in order to help them gel together as a team? a strong playing unit needs a couple of strong characters to help bind them together. we've kind of been lacking in someone like that over the past 18-24 months really. last year we noted that barton was more divisive as a strong character - i just have a feeling cesar will be the opposite (in a positive way for us) for some reason. or at least i hope so!

duncs
                              Agree mate.

They will all respect him hugely as a world class player in his position, but he is clearly a really nice bloke who seems very down to earth and a good character. He doesn't appear to have a big ego and i'm sure will be really popular around the squad. To become as good as he has he must also be a really hard worker in training etc so it will rub off on others i'm sure.... i mean if it's good enough for one of the best in the world, it's good enough for them etc...

I think the players we now have could really become something special and in a few weeks and after some games together i think we could start getting some great results.

Comment

Working...
                              X