Lone striker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone striker

So with the 25 man squad announced, does anyone think with only 3 strikers announced we'll be seeing one up top more often than not? I know it's not that surprising given the squad we only have 3 named, with Tarbs, Mackie and Hoilett all capable of playing as forwards. But it does make you wonder.

When you consider we put in a 12 million offer for Giroud, do you think ideally Hughes would have had him as the lone striker, with a 3 man midfield in place? And if this is Hughes plan, do you think in January we will see him putting in bids for someone else to play this role?

One worrying aspect for me, is whether this is fundamental to Hughes overall strategy. Bobby can play that role, but if he is injured what then? Cisse is not the answer, can AJ play that role?

I think Hughes has a few different systems. At home I think we'll go with 1 up front and try to overpower the oppositon in midfield, but away we could go with 2 up front with Zamora and Cisse.. meaning some players-especially some midfielders will miss out. I see what you mean if Zamora gets injured, would have been good to keep Helguson.
    "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Yeah it's not just injuries though, but competition for places. Does Zamora have any competition for his role in the team? Agree about Heidar 100%.

Comment

Zamora does not have any competition which is not so good, but I suspect that Hughes will just use a different system if need be with Cisse as the main striker.

Johnson, Hoilett, Mackie or Taarabt playing in a 4-3-3 with two support strikers either side of Cisse and a strong energetic 3 man midfield from Mbia,Faurlin Diakite (if fit) Park or Derry.

I do think though that he will be signing a striker in January.

PS dont forget QPR still have Hulse

Comment

I have never been a fan of 5 in the middle at LR, there isnt enough space

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
            So with the 25 man squad announced, does anyone think with only 3 strikers announced we'll be seeing one up top more often than not? I know it's not that surprising given the squad we only have 3 named, with Tarbs, Mackie and Hoilett all capable of playing as forwards. But it does make you wonder.

When you consider we put in a 12 million offer for Giroud, do you think ideally Hughes would have had him as the lone striker, with a 3 man midfield in place? And if this is Hughes plan, do you think in January we will see him putting in bids for someone else to play this role?

One worrying aspect for me, is whether this is fundamental to Hughes overall strategy. Bobby can play that role, but if he is injured what then? Cisse is not the answer, can AJ play that role?

If we don´t want to get found out like Swansea were last year, I would guess that AJ will get the chance as a lone striker against slow defences. IMO, with Adel a bit deeper and in that way support AJ with clever passes.

PS. Not sure If this will work, but anyway! could be that I have just invented a new system of play, but Hey,Ho
            Last edited by Shania; 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM.
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by essex View Post
              I have never been a fan of 5 in the middle at LR, there isnt enough space
              its a good point - we need to improve on 1 touch passing if 5 in the middle

Comment

Didn't Cisse play as a lone striker towards the end of last season? Honestly cant remember now...

Comment

I think he did. He was the only passenger who was allowed to leave the buss:=):
                  But indeed, he did it well.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
                    Didn't Cisse play as a lone striker towards the end of last season? Honestly cant remember now...
                    He was a lone striker of a sort, in that he was banned haha.

When he got back from his second ban he was super sub at Stoke, then started alongside Bobby in the almost miracle game. Honestly don't recall him playing as a lone striker before that.

He did start against Chelsea, but again Bobby was playing. I guess I did my best to block that game from my memory, struggled to watch it..
                    Last edited by Will M; 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I remember him saying at Auxerre he enjoyed success as the lone striker but said he's equally comfortable in either role.

Comment

Certainly hope that is the case, as I'm sure he will have to play on his own during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
                          He was a lone striker of a sort, in that he was banned haha.

When he got back from his second ban he was super sub at Stoke, then started alongside Bobby in the almost miracle game. Honestly don't recall him playing as a lone striker before that.

He did start against Chelsea, but again Bobby was playing. I guess I did my best to block that game from my memory, struggled to watch it..
                          We played 433 that day, Cisse out on the left, absolutely wasted there

Comment

Working...
                          X