Oldest squad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest squad?

IF we sign the players we have been linked with then i think we will have one of the oldest squads in the prem. maybe a good thing maybe not! thoughts?
    LONDON CALLING TO THE ZOMBIES OF DEATH.... ALSO KNOW AS BRENTFORD FANS

i was thinking the same thing last nite , but lets see who we actually sign first.

im hoping sparky along with rigg can suprise us and get some exciting young players in for the first time in 15 years.

i am abit worried though weve all these over 30's we keep getting linked with who only want to milk us untill they retire

Comment

oldest squad would not be a great thing. Definately need some young players that have hunger, lower salaries and will gain in value rather than depreciate.
      twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

problem is young talent costs a fortune now. even at our best we were always a resting home for good ageing players. rather watch an old tony currie or ray wilkins than a young marcus bean...

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
          problem is young talent costs a fortune now. even at our best we were always a resting home for good ageing players. rather watch an old tony currie or ray wilkins than a young marcus bean...

Not a particularly fair comparison:=):........The ideal combination of players is a few raw youngsters but a backbone of older experienced players who aren't going to get over excited in front of 70 odd thousand at old trafford.....

Comment

many a good choon played on an old tamborine..........i think you 'yoot lovers' will be surprised the greatest ever qpr team 1976 had many a golden oldie.......young bucks go at it hammer n tongs n whooooooooosh all over in no time at all..experience with age means gentler pace but long lasting with a better end result!
            you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Just heard we are signing wilson, geoffrey and jones!!!!! DONT PANIC, DONT PANIC!!!!

Comment

The club have read this thread and decided to act upon it... By signing Ryan Nelson.

Tbf the age thing doesnt bother me too much. Obviously Id love a few young players brought in with careers ahead of them, but at the moment we need proven players to get ourselves established in the PL, once we have done thatw e can take a gamble on a few younger players. For me, this season is about getting players in that will do a job here and now.
                You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
                  many a good choon played on an old tamborine..........i think you 'yoot lovers' will be surprised the greatest ever qpr team 1976 had many a golden oldie.......young bucks go at it hammer n tongs n whooooooooosh all over in no time at all..experience with age means gentler pace but long lasting with a better end result!
                  I was just going to post this but not the inuando bit.
                  Kept the faith!

Comment

with our front line of cisse,iceman,aj and zam we will have over a 120 years of experience!!!! SCARY!

Comment

I think we have got to be a little bit careful. The problem with having a squad made up predominantly of players between 28 and 34 years of age is that we will constantly be needing to replace players who are getting past their best. We might squeeze a season out of Hill, Derry, Nelson & Helgusson but realistically they are going to need replacing fairly soon. Then you have players like Zamora, Johnson (if he comes), Cisse, Wright-Phillips etc, all the wrong side of 30 and have had a few injuries along the way, you really do never know how long form and fitness will last.

What we need to guard against is there being a new dawn with 6 or 7 new players coming in every season and the only way to do this is to invest in our youth policy and invest in young talent with ability. Now I'm sure the club know this, hence the appointment of Mike Rigg and Tony Fernandes speaking in public about us needing to improve our youth policy. Hopefully we shall see some young talent brought in during this transfer window too.

Comment

was it Sir Ferguson who once told "you won't win trophies with kids"

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                          Agreed. Age is just a number.
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Some fans seem obssessed with the fact that once a player hits 30 he is passed it or not worth signing....but as said on a previous thread we do have some proper divs posting on here

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                              Some fans seem obssessed with the fact that once a player hits 30 he is passed it or not worth signing....but as said on a previous thread we do have some proper divs posting on here
                              I think you are missing the point a little bit mate. I don't think anyone is saying being over 30 in some way means you are no longer able to play at the top level. The point is 31 this season = 32 next season = 33 the season after. If we are trying to build a stable Premiership team we need young talent as well otherwise we are going to have to go through this same excercise of signing a load of new players at the start of every season.

Comment

Working...
                              X